Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

1 hour ago, Peter Browne said:

However, Tamiya haven't as far as I can tell, brought out a 1/32 aircraft that did not already exist in their 1/48 line up in some type, except for the Phantom. 

There was their first big scale kit, the F-14 Tomcat, which came out decades before they finally released one in 1/48.  Same for the 1/48 F-16 as their 1/32 kit came out 3-4 years before the smaller version.  Technically Tamiya released a F-16 back in 1976, but that was a YF-16, and since they didn’t do anything else until the 1/32 kits nearly 30 years later, I’m not sure that was related in any way.

Edited by Dave Williams

8 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

Great, then there IS hope for a 1/32 Sabre! :bow:

I think a Sabre and MIG 15 are two Korea era planes that would make a lot of sense for Tamiya in 1/32.  I just hope they release something, don’t think it will be this year though.

11 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I think a Sabre and MIG 15 are two Korea era planes that would make a lot of sense for Tamiya in 1/32.  I just hope they release something, don’t think it will be this year though.

Agree that would seem to make sense.  They would go well with the Korean War P-51D and there aren't any 1/32 kits of Korean era F-86 or decent IM MIG-15 available (Infinity?). Though there are plenty of the early Trumpeter MIG-15 to be had on eBay pretty cheaply, which could produce a good model without too much work.  But that's not the point...

Edited by Peter Browne

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I don’t see them venturing outside of WWII for 1/32.  They’ve done no jets since the F-16 over a decade ago.

What about the Korean War P-51D?  I guess that means we won't see a ME-262 either as some have previously predicted.

May as well stare at tea leaves in a cup, as trying to predict what Tamiya will do next tends to be proved wrong as shown in Doogs post in the above link.  A pattern of releasing new 1/32 subjects on odd years, was broken in 2017 with another Corsair.  And as for not revisiting subjects after a new subject is released, well the P-51D Korean War broke that theory.  I can only speculate that they did that last release to bridge into new Korean War offerings. :unsure:

Too much free time, not enough focus...

Edited by Peter Browne

1 hour ago, Peter Browne said:

I can only speculate that they did that last release to bridge into new Korean War offering

I don't think you will see a korean war theme.  I think the Mig 15 and Sabre make sense but that could be 10 years from now and we might only see one.  I agree with Jennings that the most likely will be WWII related.  I have often stated that their 1/32 offerings are going to be pretty much sure hits not maybes or risks.  Their 1/32 subjects are all going to be super stars of desirability with the broader appeal.  Anyway I think that we have seen their 2020 release.  We will be waiting until 2021 I think for another LSP.  Now we might see something amazing in 1/48 this year.  I hope we see a 1/48 P-38J in 2020.  I think that has a fighting chance.  They will have a major announcement or two ahead still for the year.  They really made some big armor and auto announcements so maybe we will get an important aircraft kit but my bet is it will be 1/48 since they just did the 1/32 F-51.

9 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I don’t see them venturing outside of WWII for 1/32.  They’ve done no jets since the F-16 over a decade ago.

Tamiya didn't do any 1/32 jets for 13-14 years inbetween the Tomcat and Mud Hen. 

I'd say the time is right for them to spring a new tool jet on us, though it'll likely be a 1/48 F-35J or a reboxed 1/32 Italeri Tonka.

The latter, plus Kittyhawk's Thunderstreak and the pledged Hong Kong Models FG.1 Spey Toom is good for jet devotees 

(plus some dinky scale stuff like the Airfix Vulcan and Dora Wings Fairey FD.2).

The World can then officially stop moulding plastic unless there's a serious prospect of a... [insert top ten wish list subjects]

Tony 

11 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The F-51 is a WWII fighter with different markings and a small sprue of armament.  I don’t see them jumping into jets and Korean War.  Who knows?  Nobody here, for sure.  But I’d be shocked beyond words if Tamiya announced a Sabre or a MiG.

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into the F-51D, it was a very minimal (read low cost) way to get some revenue from one of their older 32nd scale kits.   All of the Tamiya kits I've seen are engineered in such a way that additional versions can be offered with at best just a single new sprue.  The question I'm wondering is what they had planned for their Mosquito since it's already got some bits in it for earlier versions that don't apply to the FB.VI.  

My prediction is that Tamiya's next 1/32 scale kit will be, as others have said, a surefire moneymaker that can be easily adapted to several boxings. Following that line of thinking a WWII German fighter comes to mind that fits the bill. It will be beautifully engineered with fabulous fit and will make them tons of cash. Aftermarket companies will go into overdrive producing details and markings galore. And we'll all live happily ever after.

v/r,

Rob

Read my tea leaves this morning and they revealed Tamiya will be doing a 1/32 scale Spitfire Mk I, released in time for the upcoming 80th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain, to later be morphed into an early production Mk I, then Mk IIA, Mk VA, Mk VB, Mk VC and finally a Mk VI. 

Then again, the tea I was drinking was English Breakfast, so that may be a bit biased.

PR

2 hours ago, phantom said:

How about a 109E!

Mike

As much as I like a nice 109 or Spitfire for that matter there are plenty of choices out there. They may not be up to Tamiya standards but there are some darn decent kits out there. I still say a P-51B would be a popular kit if it's up to the standards of the latest Tamiya 1/32 kits. The one thing I know for sure is I need way more shelf space whatever they come up with.