Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

Unfortunately, ever since we started hearing rumors that Tamiya was getting out of the 1/32 game in favor of 1/48 aircraft modeling, we haven't seen a single 1/32 new offering but we have seen several new 1/48 offerings.

Tamiya is funny like that.  They do whatever they feel like doing and you never know what they are going to produce.

It's been forever since they've produced a new 1/12 F1 kit and I fear they are moving in that direction with their 1/32 super airplane kits.

If and when they actually show up at a model show with a new 1/32 aircraft, I'll be very pleasantly surprised, especially if it is anything German in origin!

Until then, I'm waiting for Z.M. to get those FW-190s to market!

2 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Unfortunately, ever since we started hearing rumors that Tamiya was getting out of the 1/32 game in favor of 1/48 aircraft modeling, we haven't seen a single 1/32 new offering but we have seen several new 1/48 offerings.

Tamiya is funny like that.  They do whatever they feel like doing and you never know what they are going to produce.

It's been forever since they've produced a new 1/12 F1 kit and I fear they are moving in that direction with their 1/32 super airplane kits.

If and when they actually show up at a model show with a new 1/32 aircraft, I'll be very pleasantly surprised, especially if it is anything German in origin!

Until then, I'm waiting for Z.M. to get those FW-190s to market!

ugh why though. who really cares about 1/72 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, timvkampen said:

So... ... ... 

Re-issue F-16C Thunderbirds or do an F-16C/N Aggressor pack like in 48 scale and new tool F-14 :)@Zactoman

Never gonna happen...but deep sighs...

Way too sensible for Tamiya to do.

Tony 

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2019 at 4:49 PM, thunderbolt1988 said:

ugh why though. who really cares about 1/72 

What are you talking about? I'm talking about 1/32 FW 190 series from Zoukei Mura.

Though unlike a lot of folks around here, I build all kinds of subject matter in all kinds of scale.

I would build a good 1/72 airplane model if the spirit hit me.  I think a lot of folks around here would not.

Click the link and scroll down for the FW 190 from ZM.

https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_092.html

Edited by ringleheim

Honestly for me personally, 72nd has more of a place than 48th does. For some unknown reason, I have grown to really despise the latter.   

But 1/72nd, has some choices in it that I really like, that honestly could not ever practically be done in 1/32nd, like my 72nd PBM-5A > GR.1 conversion, or my 1/72nd A400M.  But yes, some would not touch another scale, and I am somwhat like that, as its rare for me to work outside of that, my preferred scale. 

Tamiya is an excellent company, and makes (IMHO) arguably the best 1/32nd scale kits on the market.  It would be highly disappointing if they were to not ever touch the scale again, since I think they are on top as far as manus go, but I still have some (all actually) the Tamiya LSPs I've ever purchased for myself in my stash to build, so I guess Id be fortunate to have those

• 8 months later...

Well I'll take the pure business line and suggest that Tamiya will keep to it's current formula of multiple versions for each aircraft.  So, we have currently in the Tamiya 1/32 line-up of repeat offerings:

F-4 x 5

F-14 x  2

F-15 x 2

F-16 x 2

Mitshubishi Zero x 4

Spitfire x 3

P-51 x 3

F4U Corsair x 3

With the last three being 'recent' releases having a pattern of 3 models per aircraft.

So from my slightly cynical perspective, which aircraft would be the most attractive (highest selling) and provide opportunity for seperate releases of say, 3 models on the one base kit?  Add to this is Tamiya's wanting to inspect existing aircraft for details (e.g. Vintage Wings in Canada for the Spitfire...see a previous post in this thread). 

Also Smithsonian and other collections:

https://www.si.edu/spotlight/wwii-aircraft

I'm guessing that the leaning will be towards WW2 Pacific Theatre given their recent trends.  So, candidates include for example:

• P-47 Thunderbolt- also Europe Theatre for subsequent releases like their P-51 Korea model
  • Grumman Hellcat - no decent 1/32 kit exists
  • P-38 Lightning - Lots of versions, Pacific, North Africa, Europe
  • P-40 - Again plenty of versions to release -  Warhawk, Kittyhawk, Tomahawk - Flying Tigers etc etc.  However there are already some good kits in the market.
  • I'll also throw in a Sabre...

I would be happy for any of the above, especially the Sabre..of which there is no decent kit in 1/32. But my bets are on in order:

1. F-86 Sabre - Mainly due to their recent P-51 Korea model which would make an ideal marriage of kits from the Korean War.
  2. P-38
  3. P-47
  4. P-40

Edited by Peter Browne
words, just words

4 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

Well I'll take the pure business line and suggest that Tamiya will keep to it's current formula of multiple versions for each aircraft.  So, we have currently in the Tamiya 1/32 line-up of repeat offerings:

F-4 x 5

F-14 x  2

F-15 x 2

F-16 x 2

Mitshubishi Zero x 4

Spitfire x 3

P-51 x 3

F4U Corsair x 3

With the last three being 'recent' releases having a pattern of 3 models per aircraft...

I don't think we're going to get anything new in 1/32 from Tamiya for a long time (if ever), but within the unfortunate bounds of constrained earthly reality (therefore excluding anything preposterous) a Bf 109 G would turn other manufacturers' offerings into crud scrapers and sell by the shipload. But that's way too sensible a policy for whimsy-driven Tamiya.

My subject desires are completely different, and the proselytizing lure of a new Revell 1/48 Habu, Airfix 1/72 Vulcan and suchlike is rapidly replacing Tamiyawesomeness and only-Trumpeter-does-it-so-put-up-and-shut-up with smaller scale offerings. The ultimate return to 1/32 and a full cure will come only if and when Hong Kong Models releases its F-4K/FG.1 Spey Toom, Tan Model its unicorn Sea Flanker and Kitty Hawk the pledged Jaguars and Thunderstreak.

Tony 

The one outlier is the Mosquito, which is without doubt, Tamiya’s best 32nd effort.   The kit was designed so that a bomber version could easily be offered, along with various night fighter versions as well.   So far nothing has be released except the FB.VI.   

To me, an F-86 makes the most sense for a new kit.  Good connection to their home market, hundreds of colorful schemes to choose from and these jets were used by dozens of nations.  I would think a Saber would sell very well.