Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

1 hour ago, shadowmare said:

Still we don't know if this will be 1:32, looking at size of sprue and number 5 on it compared to the nose itself, may be 1:48

I would take any Tamiya P-38 in 1/48 or 1/32 personally.  I have not built a P-38 in many years.  Have considered the Academy kit at times, thought hard about buying the Eduard Pacific version but never did it.  I would buy this.

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Was this displayed at the show?   What’s in the case to the right?

i would LOVE a Tamiya large scale P-38!

The parts in the cases at the front of the screen are Tamiya.  The left side is the rear engine deck of their new 1/24 Toyota TS 050 which was the winner of LeMan last year.  The piece on the right in the case looks to me like it is part of the mold for the same kit.  I have never seen any other images related to this display.  I have no idea where it was displayed but it does look like authentic Tamiya stuff.  

It is very interesting because as we all know Tamiya tends to be very secretive about future releases.  I don’t know that I have ever seen them release new kit information in this manner.  Anyway I always like a new interesting kit from Tamiya so I hope they are releasing a new P-38.  I think based upon comments above that it is more likely 1/48 than 1/32 but we will see, personally I would not care, I would be nearly as happy with a 1/48 kit.

The P-38 nose cone photo was posted on Facebook.  It was within a large series of photos documenting a visit to Tamiya headquarters.

Edited by Thunnus
to clarify my previous post

I see reports on someone’s Facebook page that a computer screen with a cad drawing, clearly showing a P-38 nose along with the accompanying sprue was seen and photographed on a Tamiya factory tour. The photograph was part of the post. If true, was it 1/48 or 1/32 scale. Of course, now I can’t find it. Will keep looking. Is anyone else aware of this?

Bill M.

EDIT: I see this is already being discussed! Don’t know how I could have missed this! Sorry about the duplicitous post!

Edited by Bill M.

Looking at the size of the P-38 part cf sprue and part no.5 tab I'd say 1/72nd scale.

Thierry's right. There were huge gaps between past waves of releases, bearing in mind Tamiya's 1/32 LSP catalogue stretches back to the early 'eighties thirty five years ago, and the recent roll on 1/32 props seems to have lost all momentum. 

As smaller scale props seem to be their thing right now, the 1/48 Tomcats being a mere cash cow diversion, my attention is turning more towards the Chinese manufacturers — Kitty Hawk, Trumpeter et al. 

Tony 

Its maybe sacrilegious to admit and it won't happen, and people will get red in the face for me even mentioning it, but I'd love to see some armor in 32. Decent kits too, not rubberband tracked snap-togethers. If Tamiya—or anyone else for that fact—did this I'd buy whatever they'd be willing to press out.

At the least, I'd like to see the Hind-D in 32. Actually any of the giant or killer choppers for that fact.

26 minutes ago, CyberGolem said:

Its maybe sacrilegious to admit and it won't happen, and people will get red in the face for me even mentioning it, but I'd love to see some armor in 32. Decent kits too, not rubberband tracked snap-togethers. If Tamiya—or anyone else for that fact—did this I'd buy whatever they'd be willing to press out.

At the least, I'd like to see the Hind-D in 32. Actually any of the giant or killer choppers for that fact.

I don’t see the idea of 1/32 armor as sacrilegious, some vehicles in 1/32 would make a whole lot of sense especially if they were seen around airfields.  The armor world is just so deeply rooted in 1/35 that I don’t see 1/32 going anywhere.  I personally don’t care, I don’t plan on mixing a Panther into the same scene as a Mustang or 109 so it just does not matter to me.  I am not into diorama to begin with.  So what I build are stand alone pieces subject to adding a figure now and then.  I don’t care about 1/72, I build some 1/48 planes and some armor and 1/32 planes.  I don’t care if they interrelate in any particular way.  

I do look foreword to a Tamiya P-38 but if the poster above is right that it is 1/72, I doubt I would buy one.  I would be interest at 1/48 or 1/32 but I just don’t care much about 1/72.  I tried it in the past and unless the subject is particularly suited to 1/72 I am not into it.  I did build the Bandai 1/72 MIllenium Falcon though, that was a fabulous build.  Star Wars is really the only subject area that I am interested in 1/72.  With aircraft for me it renders the personal markings, cockpit detail and camouflage too small so all the stuff I really like starts to become invisible.  My perfect scale in aviation is 1/32 but I can live with 1/48.  

7 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

I did build the Bandai 1/72 MIllenium Falcon though, that was a fabulous build.  Star Wars is really the only subject area that I am interested in 1/72. 

Agreed!  That kit is spectacular looking, just in the box alone. I cant wait to build it and light it all up! 

I do confess I have a 72nd PBM5A + a Red Roo GR.1 conversion. 

43 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Agreed!  That kit is spectacular looking, just in the box alone. I cant wait to build it and light it all up! 

I do confess I have a 72nd PBM5A + a Red Roo GR.1 conversion. 

I have several 1:72 kits (aside from U-Boats), like the Revell BV 222, which is really quite large enough for me.

Yep, that I agree with, even as a hard core 32nd builder. There are just certain things that cant or because of size issues and the like shouldn't be built by the average modeler in 32nd.................

Except a B-58 Hustler. That is way too big to be built in 32nd, and should never be attempted in the scale. Therefor a 1/32nd B-58 is at the TOP of my want list. 

13 hours ago, shadowmare said:

Plot twist

60302793_10218154656568862_2398976158096

https://drawingdatabase.com/lockheed-p-38-lightning/

If you make one key assumption, then we can use math to determine the scale of the kit based on this evidence 

The assumption is that the width of the square on which the 5 is moulded is the same size in all of Tamiya's previous LSPs and that it would remain the same size for this future release. 

Then, knowing the wingspan of the p-38, which is 52 feet, you can calculate the approximate width of what the nose cone should be by dividing the relative widths of the nosecone piece to the wingspan, multiplying by 52, converting to mm, then diving that quotient by 32. 

You need to use a blueprint, of any size, to do this. for example, 

https://drawingdatabase.com/lockheed-p-38-lightning/

So then using that blueprint of the head on view of the a/c: 

Approx width of real nosecone, in mm = (nosecone measurement on blueprint ÷ wingspan measurement on blueprint) * 52 feet * 12 inches/foot * 25.4 mm/inch 

then divide by 32 to get the width of the nosecone in 32nd scale 

then calculate how many "5 squares" would fit the width of the nosecone if it were 32nd scale vs 48th scale

we just need people to chime in with the widths of the "5" on the sprue of their Tamiya LSP kits; I do not currently have any for comparison. If they all end up being the same, then we should go full gas with this calculation. 

Edited by thunderbolt1988

Yeah, I'd be mad enough to buy and build a 1/32 Hustler, but I'd prefer the smaller Convair Deltas first: Six, Deuce, Sea Dart.

The other desired crazy big thing, apart from a late Model Halifax/Halton, is an Empire, Sunderland/Sandringham or Clipper flying boat. 

Tony 

You can tell that's 1/72 as a very educated guess buy just looking at the sprue gates going to the part.  If that was 1/32 those attachment points from the sprue to the part would be something like 1/8" thick and the sprue itself would be around 3/8" think.

It's 1/72,  there is no doubt in my mind.