Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

Plastic models are important for Tamiya, but they have waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy more models in other scales rather than LSP. They have cars, tanks and ships as well as aircraft. They also do bakery stuff (food colourings, implements), believe it or not. I have been to the Tamiya HQ/showroom/factory/shop in Shizuoka a couple of times (going again this Saturday) and when you see their truly impressive wealth of offerings you realise that LSP are just a niche in their range. We, the fans of LSP, tend to believe that we are the backbone of their industry and that Tamiya would "sink" without a new LSP. But no, we are the just privileged beneficiaries of their whim. They do not depend on LSP. They make more money from 1/72 and 1/48, and they sell them by the trainload.

Radu

Edited by Radub

I am frankly surprised how thin the Tamiya release list is at this show.  I checked Facebook this morning, Tamiya inc is featuring a photo of their new Toyota Supra RC car.  This show is where they normally do a major all new plastic kit.  I do not count the 1/32 Hummel as most of it is derived from the Nashorn.  I still expect something unannounced to drop but it may not be an Airplane kit at all.  

Everything we know about so far are kits that are baked and done.  For example Andy at Andy’s hobby already has the new Hummel and Honda Monkey in final boxing in his hands.  He also has the new Toyota TS 0050 race car in hand.  Everything I am seeing is going to hit the shelf by June.  Normally at this show we see an all new kit or kits that won’t hit the shelf until around August.  So I will be surprised if there is not more to come.  I don’t have any indication though that it will have wings.  I can find absolutely nothing in that regard.  While Tamiya is secretive, they normally let information out in the weeks leading up to the show.  They just never give us long term information.  For example Tamiya never tells us that for next year they are developing X.  

However it also used to be that Tamiya would sell major kits and we could get them directly out of Japan before North America and they terminated that practice.  They may have tightened the lid on their product announcements as well.  I don’t think we had any leading indicators on the new 1/48 kits leading up the show but I could be wrong.  I build 1/48 but I am most focus on 1/32 when it comes to aviation new kits.

Edited by cbk57

A new Tamiya 1/32 kit would definitely, definitely! be a great thing. But, in all honesty I'd probably just put it in my stash and covet the next Tamiya release. It seems my new hobby is buying kits not so much building them...

9 minutes ago, chrish said:

A new Tamiya 1/32 kit would definitely, definitely! be a great thing. But, in all honesty I'd probably just put it in my stash and covet the next Tamiya release. It seems my new hobby is buying kits not so much building them...

Indeed, I am passionate about TWO hobbies;   Building models and collecting models.   They are definitely two separate hobbies, and may, or may not be related. :lol: 

First videos and photos are out. On 00:48sec in the following video, you can see a Corsair on display, which was not listed in the list posted somewhere above. So, still little hope, but I assume if there were a new 1/32 model, we would know by now:

https://tamiyablog.com/2019/05/first-video-of-the-tamiya-booth-at-the-58th-shizuoka-hobby-show-2019/

34 minutes ago, VintageEagle said:

First videos and photos are out. On 00:48sec in the following video, you can see a Corsair on display, which was not listed in the list posted somewhere above. So, still little hope, but I assume if there were a new 1/32 model, we would know by now:

https://tamiyablog.com/2019/05/first-video-of-the-tamiya-booth-at-the-58th-shizuoka-hobby-show-2019/

I think that might be the F4U-1D - those markings look very similar to what's in the box. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60327-vought-f4u-1d-corsair--1080203

Having said that, it could be a "teaser" for an FAA variant that's not ready to go on show yet.   I base that on the fact that, as Thierry Laurent said above, the wingtips in the USN boxings seem to be separate: and quite frankly, wishful thinking on my part.

Saw another pic on line that shows a F-16 thunderchicken but I can't tell if it is the 1/32 or 1/48 kit.  Judging by the size it looks like maybe the 1/32.  Curious if it is a straight reissue or if it was updated if it is the 1/32.

Looks like there is no new airplane kit at all from Tamiya.  I checked Tamiya blog’s videos also, that Video shows the 1/32 F4u-1D. There are several other rereleases shown along with it.  Hobby Link Japan has their photo report out on their site and there is nothing we don’t know about already on it.  I can only guess Tamiya was more focused on their RC product.  They seem to be featuring the new RC Supra and Mazda 3.  

They also are featuring the new 1/16 Sheridan RC tank.  

There are no plastic kits that were not preanounced.  Really in plastic there is nothing that is all new as the Hummel is a variant of an existing kit.  The have a AMG race car in 1/24 but it is a variant of the same car from last year.

12 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

Looks like there is no new airplane kit at all from Tamiya.  I checked Tamiya blog’s videos also, that Video shows the 1/32 F4u-1D. There are several other rereleases shown along with it.  Hobby Link Japan has their photo report out on their site and there is nothing we don’t know about already on it.  I can only guess Tamiya was more focused on their RC product.  They seem to be featuring the new RC Supra and Mazda 3.  

They also are featuring the new 1/16 Sheridan RC tank.  

There are no plastic kits that were not preanounced.  Really in plastic there is nothing that is all new as the Hummel is a variant of an existing kit.  The have a AMG race car in 1/24 but it is a variant of the same car from last year.

That is so disappointing, but expected as there hasn’t been any concrete indications of a new 1/32 kit. Have to wait another year for my P-38 :mellow:

1 hour ago, JerseyChris said:

That is so disappointing, but expected as there hasn’t been any concrete indications of a new 1/32 kit. Have to wait another year for my P-38 :mellow:

Don't be so pessimistic. The only reason Tamiya have not announced a new 1/32 aircraft is because it's not quite ready. It will be announced next month. Or the month after.

Maybe in three months, or more.