Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

1 hour ago, hayaman said:

how much bigger than Mosquito?!

The A-26 doesn't tick any of the Tamiya boxes. They haven't done one in 1/48 scale, which seems to be a filter factor for WW2 prop subjects. 

The Mosquito was fairly compact as well as offering a host of new FB and NF subvariants, though some are betting on a B.IV bomber with new nose parts and V-shaped wndshield, which would be nice if it also came with cameras for a PR.IV. 

Of course, that's all flawed logic. If Tamiya want to do a Sturmovik they will. However, 1/48 is designed to fit with the military miniatures (tracked and wheeled creepy crawlies) series, whereas there's nothing comparable in 1/32, so an F-35J is just as likely.

Tony 

10 minutes ago, Tony T said:

The A-26 doesn't tick any of the Tamiya boxes. They haven't done one in 1/48 scale, which seems to be a filter factor for WW2 prop subjects. 

The Mosquito was fairly compact as well as offering a host of new FB and NF subvariants, though some are betting on a B.IV bomber with new nose parts and V-shaped wndshield, which would be nice if it also came with cameras for a PR.IV. 

Of course, that's all flawed logic. If Tamiya want to do a Sturmovik they will. However, 1/48 is designed to fit with the military miniatures (tracked and wheeled creepy crawlies) series, whereas there's nothing comparable in 1/32, so an F-35J is just as likely.

Tony 

agree,mind you though 1/35s fit quite well with 32nds

3 hours ago, Tony T said:

It's the Walther P-38 and it's in 1/35 scale for a Wehrmacht figures set.

The Lockheed one would be pretty cool, but isn't the Trumpeter Lightning supposed to be quite convincing and a good build ?

Tony 

Having built the Trumpeter kit, I would say no to both.

5 hours ago, Tony T said:

....The Americans really need to start a model company to make their favourite LSPs, or lobby the Chinese. 

///

Tony 

Trust me IF I had the money I would start my own model company. The problem is labor here would be way to expensive to be viable for very long. Kit prices would be too high for most to recover the cost in a reasonable time. 

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Trust me IF I had the money I would start my own model company. The problem is labor here would be way to expensive to be viable for very long. Kit prices would be too high for most to recover the cost in a reasonable time. 

You do the design work in the US, you outsource the manufacturing to China. That's what practically every other model kit company does, including the likes of WNW.

Edited by vince14

8 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Having built the Trumpeter kit, I would say no... 

A pity. The P-38's a nice looking plane.

Some nicely priced old Trumpy Jugs if Tamiya doesn't offer any retail therapy this year...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/dawngrocerystore/Trumpeter-1-32-Aircraft/_i.html?_storecat=3658423018

Those, and the forthcoming Revell Me 262 A-1a. Anything powered by paraffin or a mix of old oil and schnapps appeals. 

Tony

Edited by Tony T
activate link

1 hour ago, otis252 said:

It's really baffling to me that Tamyia hasn't just added 6-8 parts to the F-16 kit and released the F-16D. It's like a license to print money.

Chuck

From an enthusiasts standpoint, anything involving their favorite subject is always "a license to print money".   Did you not stop to consider that Tamiya probably put a great deal of thought into the decision to not release a D and came to the conclusion that it's actually not beneficial for them to do so?

Maybe their original F-16 kit didn't sell well enough?  If so, why would they double down on the D-model.  I would argue that despite the passionate posts of a few folks on a model forum, in the big scheme of things, a two seat F-16 just isn't that highly sought after by the general public. 

Plus - everyone knows that if Tamiya really wants a kit that will be a license to print money, they should release a UH-1D/H Huey!!!  

If not a 16D, then they should just discontinue their block 50 kit and release an all in one box to also include the block 32 sprues, that way any block C can be built OOB.

But I'm hoping for that 1/32 Tamiya F3D Skyknight later this year. Or at least their 1/32 Beaufighter.

7 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I wouldn’t look for Revell to do it - ever.  Unless something changes drastically at Revell, I wouldn’t look for any new tool aircraft models from them any more.

Why is this the case, attitude of owners, economics?  I would be interested to know what is going on there.  It is disappointing as it is very clear that there is a set of 1/32 enthusiast that very much like the Revell style of kit tooling.  They tend to be affordable and cover the basics well without going overkill and available in many retail locations.  I think there is an important  place in the hobby for the Revell style of kit.

Edited by cbk57

Absolutes like "wouldn't ... ever", then softened with a get out clause "unless something changes" is a bit meaningless.

After last year's trauma and with the success of Revell reboxing (especially) Ukrainian kits, no new tools may well be its pattern of business in 1/32 aircraft for the near future. After all, Revell has a fillet finned Mustang, Me 262 A-1a, F/A-18F and G in the landing or holding pattern, plus whatever ICM do, like the Gloster Gladiator, to rebox. 

I would hope there is scope for some other neue variante, like a Ju 88 C-6. 

It all looks healthy to me. And I said "such as Revell". ICM, FLY, Special Hobby, Italeri et al are all contenders for 1/32 new tools too. AFAIK there's a car door Typhoon, Tornado and Tunnan to add to the aforementioned aircraft subjects that we know of. 

Tony