Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

Part of the process is to work out if there's a strongly rumoured 1/48 aircraft project, which usually hints at there being no 1/32 aircraft kit. 

So far, there doesn't seem to be any rumours of anything likely to harpoon a LSP.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
squelching spring noise caused an error

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

Part of the process is to work out if there's a strongly rumoured 1/48 aircraft project, which usually hints at there being no 1/32 aircraft kit. 

So far, there doesn't seem to be any rumours of anything likely to harpoon a LSP.

Tony 

I have been thinking exactly along those lines.  I think a major 1/48 subject akin to the f-14 would do exactly that.  The good news is nothing yet that would say a LSP is out.  Of course nothing to say one is in either.

22 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Tamiya have released a new tool 109 G6 in 1/48 scale, so that subject could be their next 1/32 release.  The G6 was a relatively hasty modification of the early G series and often referred to as "Die Beule" (the Bulge) thanks to the extra lumps and bumps acquired due to larger tyres and bigger guns being fitted.

As to an early Spitfire, I don't believe Tamiya need to release a new tool 1/48 version to do a 1/32 model.  The early Mk IX would suffice as the basis to do a Mk I, Mk II, or Mk V.  As the model starts at the firewall, they just need to do a single stage supercharged Merlin with it's shorter cowlings, together with a 3 blade prop.  Next, change the windshield to the early external armour plated job, and the wings need to be altered to take a smaller oil cooler instead of the port intercooler/oil rad of the later Spitfires, and you have a Mk Vc.  Next, a Mk Vb would need the cannon stub fairing deleted and the top wing stiffeners added.  Next, a Mk II would need 8 machine guns, no wing stiffeners, and a Coffman starter added to the engine, which means a bulge in the starbord side engine cowl.  Lastly, a Mk I would need some changes in the cockpit to cater for the manual hydraulic pump, different instrument panel and changes and deletions unique to the Mk I.

Personally, I'd love to see a Tamiya Spitfire Mk Vc, as this was the first version to undergo massive changes, and it served in so many places.  It had short, normal and long wing tips, it was the first in service to carry bombs, and it had 2 different tropical air filters, so from a modeling perspective, there's a lot of scope here for modelers to build more than one.  But I see the appeal of a Battle of Britain era Spitfire too. 

I'd buy both, but I suspect that we may get neither.  There's too many other subjects for Tamiya to concern themselves with.  But can you imagine a Tamiya kit which allows you to build any the early Spitfires from Mk I to Mk V??  I can:please:

Cheers,

Michael

I seem to recall dear Edgar, God rest his soul, stating that the Mk. Vb and Vc landing gear also had a rake angle difference of 5 degrees. Can’t remember which one was which or why it was even different. 

1 hour ago, is it windy yet? said:

I seem to recall dear Edgar, God rest his soul, stating that the Mk. Vb and Vc landing gear also had a rake angle difference of 5 degrees. Can’t remember which one was which or why it was even different. 

Yes, you're quite right, and I forgot to mention that when stating the difference between the Mk V and the Mk I & II.  I blame my brain for being 3 steps in front of my keyboard.  :doh:  Those really early marks were very prone to nosing over, so the undercarriage was angled forward from Mk V onwards.  I seem to recall that Griffon engine Spitfires had the undercarriage raked forwards some more, for the same reason.

Cheers,

Michael

On 3/17/2019 at 5:06 AM, Pup7309 said:

Sounds like it will be a 109. An Fw190 might be nice but looks like ZM has it covered...How about a B24 :please:

A B-24 they will never do even though it would be the ultimate shock for the LSP community....then again, WNW, Lancaster...? :)

12 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I know that but it is a serious question also, does anyone have any info?   To me this is just about the most important thread of the year.  The May hobby show is always the one with the big Tamiya releases and so it is the most exciting one for me and I go to every effort to find out what is coming before the show starts.  

Inquiring minds want to know and I was making an effort to bring things back to the point and summarize what we know now.  

Who does not want to be the first to know or figure out what or if there is going to a new 1/32 aircraft from Tamiya, at least on this forum?  

It will be interesting to see where and how we got there if something comes foreword.

As I understand it, several of Tamiya's recent significant airplane kit releases were completely unannounced or anticipated by the modeling community.  They caught everyone off guard when they magically appeared at Shizuoka.

HLJ always does a nice job of previewing kits from major manufacturers based on what is known, and then they do a nice job making videos at the shows wandering around and showing us what the different displays look like.

I would be willing to bet that if Tamiya shocks us with some new 1/32 release, it will be totally unknown and unannounced up until the day of its unveiling, probably either at Shizuoka in May, or Tokyo in September. 

It has been a while since we got a 1/32 offering, so who knows.  Maybe we are due!

6 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Those really early marks were very prone to nosing over, so the undercarriage was angled forward from Mk V onwards.  I seem to recall that Griffon engine Spitfires had the undercarriage raked forwards some more, for the same reason.

According to Spitfire experten extraordinaire Edgar Brooks (RIP), the forward rake on the Spit's landing gear increased by 2" (~5cm) only from the Mk. Vc onwards, the Mk. Va/b undercarriage still had the same geometry as the earlier marks. This remained constant until the Griffon-powered 20-series when, as Dpgsbody55 pointed out, the gear legs were raked forward once again.

“As I understand it, several of Tamiya's recent significant airplane kit releases were completely unannounced or anticipated by the modeling community.  They caught everyone off guard when they magically appeared at Shizuoka.

HLJ always does a nice job of previewing kits from major manufacturers based on what is known, and then they do a nice job making videos at the shows wandering around and showing us what the different displays look like.”

Hobby Link Japan is no longer a very good source, they post some of TAmiya’s “official preanouncements” but not the surprise ones.  With the big releases, some Japanese flyers are getting out, I am guessing to distributors and they usually end up on one of the forums or on facebook.  But usually a new major release is not a complete surprise.  With the Mustang, Corsair, and F-14 there was information out before the show.  We were pretty certain about the Mosquito but I am not sure if there was anything before the show that got out.  

Actually with both the Mustang and Corsair I found Japanese published kit releases and the only thing legible was the scale and the aircraft for example 1/32 P-51, the rest was in Japanese.  Believe or not with some hunting we might find it before the show.

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Or possibly Tamiya's OPSEC/COMSEC is getting better...

In this age of competitors announcing identical kits within days (hours?) of each other, I'd say those procedures are absolutely critical. 

2 hours ago, John1 said:

In this age of competitors announcing identical kits within days (hours?) of each other, I'd say those procedures are absolutely critical. 

Seriously, how often has this actually happened, and for those times when it did, how many times has it caused one of the companies to abandon their plans?  Plus, Tamiya is the big dog.  If they announce a kit, people will buy it just because it’s Tamiya, regardless of who else makes the same kit.  Also, these days kits have usually been in development for a quite a long time.  If a second company announces a kit, it’s much more likely that they’ve already been working on it for a while, not that they just started from scratch just to poach sales from another company.

• 3 weeks later...

Hobby Link Japan has their usual "Teaser" information up regarding the upcoming Shizuoka Hobby Show in May.

Several new Tamiya kits are known to debut, but no mention of any aircraft in any scale.

I'd be shocked if Tamiya doesn't surprise everyone with a new aircraft release.

The question is whether or not it will be 1/32 scale!

https://hlj.com/shizuoka-hobby-show-2019-sneak-peek