Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

The way I see it, when Tamiya started making kits to this standard, it was like discovering that plane all over again.  The detail and fit is just so good and they are a joy to build.  So if they were to release a 109, that would be on my shopping list immediately.  They've done a Japanese plane, a couple each of American and British, so a German plane is overdue.  I read a review of their 1/48 offering in the newsagent on Monday, and that would be just a sample of what they would do with a 1/32 subject, so bring it on, please, Mr Tamiya. :thumbsup:

That said, there is also a lot of the famous fighters of WW2 still not offered by Tamiya, and I'd also buy a P-38 pronto too.  Onto that list you can add (in the order that I think of them!!) Hurricane, FW-190, ME-262, Wildcat, Beaufighter, P-47, P-40, KI-61, N1K1, Raiden, Gladiator and Tempest.  For something more obscure, you could also add on any of the Russia or Italian fighters too.  Airfix's Typhoon and Hellcat offerings negate my desire for those planes from Tamiya, but I'm sure there must be others out there who'd love one.  If they do release a 109 and/or a P-38, then I hope that a P-40 is the next cab off the rank.  There isn't a decent one currently in production.

Here's hoping Tamiya will get round to doing more from that list.   And soon :please:

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

A new P-40B was announced last year but I did not see any recent info about that release...

Yes there is one, I think it is Great Wall.  Took me a minute, I was thinking Kitty Hawk but pretty sure Great Wall is doing it.  I have not seen anymore on it but I hope we see it on the sale by December.

It was shown at the end of year Hobby Show in Japan but was really crude so very early in development.  Looked like they just threw something together to go with the announcement.  However, I think Great Wall have done some nice kits so far so I am hopeful they will get this right.

Edited by cbk57

Undoubtedly they will be considering a 35th scale UH-1D/H Huey.   Only the most iconic helo ever developed, used by hundreds of nations (including Japan) and civilian agencies and there will be a huge range of markings available.  Plus it has that "Nam" pedigree.

Literally a license to print money!   

13 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I wonder why people enter into discussions they think are pointless.

azOGqRE.jpg

Because it's fun ?

:party0023:

In my case Mike, I have a dream.   In this dream, Mr. Tamiya will be randomly surfing the net and comes across this thread and specifically my post.  He then jumps off the couch and shouts - "My God!!  This guy on LSP is a genius!  My next large scale kit will be a UH-1D/H!!!" 

I believe in dreams coming true.  Just gotta have faith!  :)

Edited by John1

22 minutes ago, John1 said:

Undoubtedly they will be considering a 35th scale UH-1D/H Huey.   Only the most iconic helo ever developed, used by hundreds of nations (including Japan) and civilian agencies and there will be a huge range of markings available.  Plus it has that "Nam" pedigree.

Literally a license to print money!   

This is a perfect example of the lack of diversity in Tamiya’s aviation catalog.  Unless they did a helo in the 1960’s or 1970’s in an odd scale like 1/50 or 1/100 they have never done any type of helo.  It is not just they have not done a Huey they have not done anything.    

I hope they announce something interesting in May.  We will see but when you look at Tamiya’s Catalog they have only issued around 40 distinct aircraft types.  After that most of their Catalog are variants.  I don’t count any kit they partnered with Italeri which they have released several more.  I count the Corsair, Zero and Me-109, FW-190, F-16, F-15 only once in that count. I don’t mean this as criticism only as observation that Tamiya is about quality and diversity throughout a much wider variety of products.  For all of our obsession with Tamiya they really are not a leading Aviation model company.  At present several other companies would share in that honor including WNW, ZM and HK.  

Tamiya leads in quality and innovation but other companies are our real meat and potatoes.

I would be REALLY amused if Tamiya did a helicopter. They would be torn between doing it in 1:35 or 1:32, a terrible, rediculous,  pointless problem dumped on the modelling world,  1:35 being one of the stupidest of decisions ever made in the modelling world, in my humble opinion! Made by.....

Tamiya!!!    

Ha! 

13 minutes ago, wunwinglow said:

I would be REALLY amused if Tamiya did a helicopter. They would be torn between doing it in 1:35 or 1:32, a terrible, rediculous,  pointless problem dumped on the modelling world,  1:35 being one of the stupidest of decisions ever made in the modelling world, in my humble opinion! Made by.....

Tamiya!!!    

1l4sao.jpg

I dont think there are enough memes in the world to describe how much I am in agreement with this...............

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

This is a perfect example of the lack of diversity in Tamiya’s aviation catalog.  Unless they did a helo in the 1960’s or 1970’s in an odd scale like 1/50 or 1/100 they have never done any type of helo.  It is not just they have not done a Huey they have not done anything.    

I hope they announce something interesting in May.  We will see but when you look at Tamiya’s Catalog they have only issued around 40 distinct aircraft types.  After that most of their Catalog are variants.  I don’t count any kit they partnered with Italeri which they have released several more.  I count the Corsair, Zero and Me-109, FW-190, F-16, F-15 only once in that count. I don’t mean this as criticism only as observation that Tamiya is about quality and diversity throughout a much wider variety of products.  For all of our obsession with Tamiya they really are not a leading Aviation model company.  At present several other companies would share in that honor including WNW, ZM and HK.  

Tamiya leads in quality and innovation but other companies are our real meat and potatoes.

I’m not sure that I’d put HK in the same breath as the other companies for releasing a number of different products since they have only released six distinct kits: Do335, B-25, Mosquito, B-17, Lanc, and Meteor since their first kit was released in 2012.

12 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I’m not sure that I’d put HK in the same breath as the other companies for releasing a number of different products since they have only released six distinct kits: Do335, B-25, Mosquito, B-17, Lanc, and Meteor since their first kit was released in 2012.

I included HK because they are doing aircraft only, focusing on 1/32, and taking on riskier subjects that Tamiya won’t touch, especially in 1/32.  

Edited by cbk57

20 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

I included HK because they are doing aircraft only, focusing on 1/32, and taking on riskier subjects that Tamiya won’t touch, especially in 1/32.  

I agree with the conclusion about HKM doing riskier subjects. That is one of the things I appreciates about them. Having just gotten done building one of those said riskier kits, it was a fully enjoyable experience, fit and finish.