RF-101C auxiliary tanks, Vietnam-era

quang

On 15 March 2019 at 9:38 AM, Chek said:

I found this uncredited photo in my collection Q, which looks like part of the same camo trials. The colours and pattern are a bit clearer on this one.

Click pic (and again) for full size. It's an RF-101A rather than a RF-101C which is why I didn't notice it before.

46661414984_8b2c30a8c2_o.jpg

Does anyone on here have an idea of the FS numbers of the colours used on this and other machines in this scheme?

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Quang, 

Those shots aren't from TSN. I think - I would need to check - they were taken at Udorn, Thailand. I have better reference images so ewhere that show you exactly that. There is also at least one YouTube video of them too ;).

M

Oops! Wikipedia said Tan Son Nhut 1965.:rolleyes:

17 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Does anyone on here have an idea of the FS numbers of the colours used on this and other machines in this scheme?

Unfortunately not, at least not in any of the mainstream model helper books (Detail & Scale, Squadron Signal's various titles).

It's possible a club mag (IPMS Canada's Random Thoughts being one example) may have something but God knows if such an article would ever resurface. My then local Essex branch used to produce a 24 page stapled mimeographed from typewritten sheets with the most rudimentary drawings every couple of months back in the mid-70s, and it was always an interesting read. But then we did have Roger Chesneau, Geoff Prentice, Ted Taylor (RIP x 3) and Ray Rimmel in the membership. On the off-chance I dug out the couple of copies I still have but no Voodoo stuff. An early pea green Phantom's appearance at Lakenheath was noted though.

I'd probably start with IRIAF brown 30140, USAF medium green 34102 and then add various quantities of black to 34079 for the schwarzgrun.  But as I don't have any of those in stock to actually test with, that's just blowing smoke. And anyway, my priority is a silverplate greyback fighter, not a photoship (although that may come later after you guys have done all the heavy lifting).

Edited by Chek

15 hours ago, Chek said:

Unfortunately not, at least not in any of the mainstream model helper books (Detail & Scale, Squadron Signal's various titles).

It's possible a club mag (IPMS Canada's Random Thoughts being one example) may have something but God knows if such an article would ever resurface. My then local Essex branch used to produce a 24 page stapled mimeographed from typewritten sheets with the most rudimentary drawings every couple of months back in the mid-70s, and it was always an interesting read. But then we did have Roger Chesneau, Geoff Prentice, Ted Taylor (RIP x 3) and Ray Rimmel in the membership. On the off-chance I dug out the couple of copies I still have but no Voodoo stuff. An early pea green Phantom's appearance at Lakenheath was noted though.

I'd probably start with IRIAF brown 30140, USAF medium green 34102 and then add various quantities of black to 34079 for the schwarzgrun.  But as I don't have any of those in stock to actually test with, that's just blowing smoke. And anyway, my priority is a silverplate greyback fighter, not a photoship (although that may come later after you guys have done all the heavy lifting).

Thanks Chek, actually, as you will see, the TAC doc describes the colours as mixes so there wont be any FS, ;)

Edited by RidgeRunner

On 3/23/2019 at 4:00 PM, quang said:

An all-star cast!

Indeed it was - most of the Scale Models magazine crew at the time in what for me was its heyday. Takeovers by conglomerates never end well.

Well as the drop tank question seems to have been satisfactorily put to bed, I found this artwork which may give you some help on the upper surface pattern.

Looks like Don Greer's style, so likely to be as accurate as he could get it.

40492279983_aecd387205_h.jpg