RF-101C auxiliary tanks, Vietnam-era

quang

I found this uncredited photo in my collection Q, which looks like part of the same camo trials. The colours and pattern are a bit clearer on this one.

Click pic (and again) for full size. It's an RF-101A rather than a RF-101C which is why I didn't notice it before.

46661414984_8b2c30a8c2_o.jpg

Edited by Chek
clarity

Just superb, Chek. And very helpful as well.

Of interest is the dark brown colour, not noticeable on b&w prints. The general black-green pattern is rather consistent.

Here's a pic of 41512 in Vietnam. The brown appears to be added as an afterthought

5-BC26-FBC-1-D7-F-48-D0-81-EE-272-E252-D

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang
add pic

6 hours ago, quang said:

The brown appears to be added as an afterthought

2247539.jpg

While artwork is generally as reliable as a tissue paper hammer, this profile does lend some substance to that idea.

The photo below also shows the brown areas. It's notable that the upper one has a very low contrast with the green, and that given the fading on the red of the national insignia hasn't bleached out to anything like the (completely different) tan in the period photo in the lower one. Maybe it could be FS 30140? It would have been on hand at St Louis for the Iranian Phantom contract

40422316213_fb5b7b386d_o.jpg

On 3/15/2019 at 4:57 PM, quang said:

Aha! The plot thickens.

How about the brown on this one? Another thing to take in consideration is the discoloration of the period Kodachrome.

F7-DFD31-B-07-AE-4-A27-868-C-3259-B361-E

Kodachrome was highly-stable, so much so that its yellow dye was calculated to fade 20% in 185 years. If you mean color film in general from the period, then I agree. Ektachrome and other color films were much less-stable and tended to fade quickly. The color shift, however, is more towards blue.

Edited by Bill Cross

The photo looks pretty good to my old eyes. The flesh tones are still warm and haven't lost the red tones. Same with the US national insignia. I would hazard that there are two greens used here, one a dark green, one closer to OD.

Hi all, 

I've recently joined LSP, being invited in by Quangster. 

The period of time in question was one of experimentation in terms of camouflage. It was pre-Vietnam. The Greens and brown mix came out of a test programme, documented in TAC-TR-63-8 of October 1963, in which two aircraft were painted in experimental schemes. One (54-1513) was the often referred to "black" machine and the other (54-1514) was in a greens/brown scheme. It is described in the following text:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153072187@N06/46525901355/in/album-72157704162599655/

The Voodoos illustrated here and elsewhere in a "green and black" scheme are a result of those tests. They were operated from Thailand for recce flights over Laos and Cambodia. The RF-101A didn't operate in the Vietnam theatre.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi all, 

I've recently joined LSP, being invited in by Quangster. 

The period of time in question was one of experimentation in terms of camouflage. It was pre-Vietnam. The Greens and brown mix came out of a test programme, documented inTAC-TR-63-8 of October 1963, in which two aircraft were painted in experimental schemes. One was the often referred to "black" machine and the other was in a greens/brown scheme. It is described in the following text:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153072187@N06/46525901355/in/album-72157704162599655/

The Voodoos illustrated here and elsewhere in a "green and black" scheme are a result of those tests. They were operated from Thailand for recce flights over Laos and Cambodia. The RF-101A didn't oprtate in the Vietnam theatre.

Martin

Always nice to have people in the know. :D

And welcome to LSP btw!!

58 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Always nice to have people in the know. :D

And welcome to LSP btw!!

Further, during the early sixties, around the Cuba emergency, there was at least one RF-101A or C (I dont know) is a toned down scheme, wraparound and with black, toned-down markings, similar to modern day insignia. I only know of one image of this machine.Not enough to base a model on :(.

As always, I'm happy to be proved wrong!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

The period of time in question was one of experimentation in terms of camouflage. It was pre-Vietnam. The Greens and brown mix came out of a test programme, documented in TAC-TR-63-8 of October 1963, in which two aircraft were painted in experimental schemes. One (54-1513) was the often referred to "black" machine and the other (54-1514) was in a greens/brown scheme. It is described in the following text:

The Voodoos illustrated here and elsewhere in a "green and black" scheme are a result of those tests. They were operated from Thailand for recce flights over Laos and Cambodia. The RF-101A didn't operate in the Vietnam theatre.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Notwithstanding your preference for 1/72 scale, you’re here in good company. Welcome to LSP!

It all depends on what you call ‘pre-Vietnam’, but by 1963 there was already a great deal of US involvement in Vietnam. I should know, I was there :rolleyes:. I saw my first camouflaged Voodoo - a black- and-green - in 1965, a vivid memory because it was in shocking contrast with the grey and silver F-100, F-102, AD-6,... that flew daily over our house in Saigon.

Here are some other photos of black-and-green #512 at Tan Son Nhut (Vietnam) in 1965. I suspect it’s a RF-101A because it’s lacking the small intake on the fin.

557-CCA4-A-06-CF-43-FA-A0-A1-760707-F70-
55790271-94-B8-4552-B73-E-C946-FF939-AE8
7-A4-A1-CAD-357-E-4387-96-A7-AEEE8163852

Cheers,

Quang

Hi Quang, 

Those shots aren't from TSN. I think - I would need to check - they were taken at Udorn, Thailand. I have better reference images so ewhere that show you exactly that. There is also at least one YouTube video of them too ;).

M