RF-101C auxiliary tanks, Vietnam-era

quang

Hi guys,

I’m currently building the Kitty Hawk 1/48 RF-101C Voodoo (a smooth and pleasant ride despite what’s being said In some circles).

My intention is to do an Vietnam-era replica in one of the early test camouflage. 

During my research, I noticed that Voodoo of that theater often carry a different kind of auxiliary tanks, slimmer and longer than their European counterparts.

DC67-B400-597-A-41-A3-826-E-CE9-D236-BF2
55-A7-FC75-1638-44-A1-874-D-A5-DF6945-A3

I curious to know where those peculiar tanks come from.

Since the RF-101s used in Vietnam were originally based in Japan, were these long tanks associated with their base in Japan ( just like the Misawa tanks on the F-86 during the Korean War?) What do you Voodoo fans, think?

Thank you for your input.

Cheers,

Quang

Hi Quang!

They're not just PACAF tanks, as Detail & Scale 21 has photos of a Shaw based RF-101 with them too. It also states:

"All F-101s could carry 2 x 450 Gallon drop tanks attached directly on the fuselage. There were two styles of tanks.

The ones most often seen were the short ones with larger diameter. The other style was longer with a smaller diameter offering less drag and greater speed."

No dimensions or further capacities are given, nor are they included in the general arrangement drawing they optimistically call "plans".

I also found that Monogram F-84F tanks -with the fins removed- fit the photos of the slim variant to a tee.

Here are the KH RF-101 tank and the Monogram F-84 tank compared. Above KH, below Monogram

7841-DC4-C-2-DEF-44-BF-A52-F-ECD3-A04359

Thanks Chek for your input.

Cheers,

Quang

A bit extracurricular, but consider the D-Mold nose, which has a refined shape and the fwd and trigonal camera arrangement, with already-open side apertures.

Also consider the Eduard interior etch with the Löök finish, like little lenses. 

Wished some of this tech caught up with 1/32, although there's some vague hint of the Kitty going 1/32 Garfield on this one.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
missing characters

@LSP_K2 Ron Easly is an authority on the F-101. His book should be very interesting. Thanks for your input.

@Tony T  I don’t know about D-Mold but the Kitty Hawk nose looks very usable to me with an accurate shape and an excellent fit. Here I opened the side apertures and put in the cameras stolen from the KH Cougar :coolio: .I also added the RHAWS bumps on the nose and tail.

C86-BC02-C-DCF6-427-B-8426-DD299-FEB5-F6

BE7-C674-D-9-ABC-4215-99-AD-2-B364003188

70-BAE9-DE-71-C1-4463-A3-EF-64561-F2-A3-

The Eduard consoles and instrument panel are not bad but I prefer an old-style cockpit à la Monogram, more realistic IMO.

Cheers,

Quang

I had a trawl through the F-101B flight manual, thinking it might provide some insight into the regular tanks versus the slimmer hi-speed type.

Unfortunately all it advised was to ensure that when the external tanks are fitted, all-up weight performance limits were observed and some fuel management panel switchology..

Btw, as I'm getting lazy in my old age, I emailed Pavla last week asking them to consider a replacement for the squashed Kitty Hawk canopy (same team as the Chicom A-7s?).

I pinched this photo I think from an ARC contributor which illustrates the problem. Not that I'm anywhere close to starting my F-101C. But what's their big consistent problem with managing to mould a nice, graceful arch section?

Your camera windows having something to see inside them have worked out well, though I'd probably have settled for a couple of tube rings mounted on a card offcut.

40388332243_9da3f101b4_h.jpg

Btw, forgot to say very interesting photo of what looks like an early camouflage trial on -0228 at the top of the thread.

Drab colours but with big stars'n'bars - good choice. 

If I was that into them, it'd probably be in a top four RF Voodoo model line-up for evolutionary illustrative value (along with a Sun-Runner, obviously)

Here's a photo of the other side.

6259.jpg

Edited by Chek
btw added

6 minutes ago, Chek said:

Btw, as I'm getting lazy in my old age, I emailed Pavla last week asking them to consider a replacement for the squashed Kitty Hawk canopy (same team as the Chicom A-7s?).

I pinched this photo I think from an ARC contributor which illustrates the problem. Not that I'm anywhere close to starting my F-101C. But what's their big consistent problem with managing to mould a nice, graceful arch section?

Moulding limitations. To achieve a nice bubble canopy, you need a three-part mould ( resulting in a nice seam on the bubble top). Think Tamiya 1/32 Mustang. With two-part moulds, the canopy sides need to be somewhat vertical so that they can remove the mould after injection, resulting in a squashed effect.

Having said that, the squashed effect is not too apparent on the KH Voodoo. One can always add a scratchbuilt boarding ladder to divert the viewer’s attention. B)

Thanks Tony.

While the KH Voodoo can present a number of challenges, none of them is insurmountable. The trick is to deal with them one by one.

I'm currently replacing the round bleed air vent on the right side of the fuselage with a rectangular one. Should to be an interesting experience :BANGHEAD2:

Cheers,

Quang

4 hours ago, quang said:

Thanks Tony.

While the KH Voodoo can present a number of challenges, none of them is insurmountable. The trick is to deal with them one by one.

I'm currently replacing the round bleed air vent on the right side of the fuselage with a rectangular one. Should to be an interesting experience :BANGHEAD2:

Cheers,

Quang

Please keep us up to date on your vent work. You usually come up with good solutions and I'll have to do the same for my fighter C model when I get to it..