Tamiya Phantom F4j(UK)

13 hours ago, themongoose said:

How do you make gray look so good? Well done!

Thankyou sir. I used black basing for the first time, and I ,ust say that I'm a bit of a convert, especially for a large expanse of grey such as this. That was followed by several layers of dilute oils. Some panel line washed and verticle dot filtering on the fuselage. Then some areas I faded with white/ light grey oils applied as a kind of filter. Essentially just built it up slowly until I was happy

13 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Looks awesome.

To a Phantom novice, what makes this F-4J UK spec?

Thanks. 

As far as I know they were off the shelf US F-4J"s that were repainted by the US in a wierd kind of blue/grey/green colour. Then they were repainted by the RAF into the colours I tried to emulate here. One modification I did add a reinforcing bellt strap which was fitted just on front of the undercarriage scratched from plastic card like so...

Wm0WZVZ.jpg

Another modification I didn't attempt was the periscope that was installed to the port side of the RIO's station as seen here. I read somewhere that these periscopes came from Centurian tanks but haven't verified that. Anyway, there was no way my rudimentary skills could scratch build that so I left it out. Lets just say my Phantom is depicted prior to the periscopes being fitted:hmmm:

os8WY2p.jpg

I'm sure that the Phantom experts here will have other minor modifications that should be made but I was happy to leave it at that.

• 1 year later...