HB B-24J "Going My Way"

TimW

On 4/24/2019 at 7:49 AM, nmayhew said:

hi Tim

What replacement turrets did you get? (Sorry if you have already said)

What are they like?

re the kit parts for the tail turret, you should be able to buy these off trumpy / hobbyboss - that's what I did; took a few weeks but the parts did arrive.

the email address I corresponded with after going through their website was joanna@trumpeter-china.com

not the cheapest but you get to order whatever sprues you want and they will ask for payment via paypal (or did with me)

cheers

Nick

Nothing from Joanna yet.   No response to follow-up emails.

Hmmm.

Tim W

I'm officially deciding that HB/Trumpeter has blown me off.  No email responses to any query and it's been over a month.  So back to eBay in future, I think.

Rather disappointed by this turn of events!

Still waiting for some Tamiya compound for working off seams/etc on the clear bits.  Resuming this one soon.

Tim W.

3 hours ago, mgunns said:

Try Stevens International, they import Trumpeter and I think Hobby Boss.  I got some extra 1/200 Trumpeter HMS Rodney turrets from them for a reasonable fee. Here's a link, give 'em a try, it worked for me, friendly, fast and efficient.  https://www.stevenshobby.com/contactus.aspx 

Thanks for the tip!

Tim W

• 1 month later...

Alrighty then!   Sprues arrived via Trumpeter--there was a delay, but they arrived.

I can start finishing up the fuselage and prepping to "put it together."  Still trying to figure out how the ammo belts that run to the tail turret are supposed to fit into that track--one goes on top?  One goes on inside?  Except you can't really fit it inside.

I may just attack the bottom belt to the point where it's blocked.  Run the other one in its entirety.   There are a few things the plans are weak on!

Stay tuned for updated pics...

Tim W.

Beginning to add the interior structure into the fuselage.  I found it easier to do this in sections, though I had to do some bending with the aft floor section.    Yeah, I thought about moving he navigator's station aft, and then recreating the radio room, but I decided this would be a B-24 where they hadn't done that yet (it was a field expedient thing anyway, IIRC).

yXmyOTY.jpg

Wh13dwP.jpg

gdKYrFy.jpg

9 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

That sure looks "busy" enough to me, in fact it looks grand, it's a shame that a lot will not be seen once closed up, so take lots of photos.

Cheers

Dennis

Yep.   That's another reason I'm taking my time.  I'll have quite an album of the interior before I'm done.

It'll be proof!

Cheers,

Tim W.

8 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very nice!  I really do need to get this kit for sure. I like it a lot, and the wing profile honestly does not bother me that much. 

Did you polish out that turret, or did you get a replacement set? 

It's the kit part, extensively polished.  You can still see the seam, unfortunately, but I just couldn't get the vacuform turrets to work.

Might say more about me than the product, which is the right shape and everything, but very bare bones.   Be prepared to scratchbuild a lot if you go that rout.

More pics to come, eventually.

Tim W.

Lots of nice interior work there that will, sadly, not be seen once you mate the fuselage halves.  The bomb aimer position is nice with all that stuff you have in there that will be seen.  How did you weigh the nose, or are you going to prop the rear with  a ladder or something?  I have this kit, but I am thinking of selling it, it's just too big for my space.