HB B-24J "Going My Way"

TimW

Very cool!  Interesting, I wonder if painting the interior of the nose wheel doors is a modern safety thing or did they do it back in the day?

Scroll down and you can see what happened when they left the brakes on (apparently that was one way to stop the wheel spinning after take off).

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~webermd1/family/Liberator-Info.html

On 3/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, TimW said:

Based on some pics I found I figured the same.  It's hard to tell with some of the restored aircraft--there are a lot of things in some of them you wouldn't see in an operational aircraft, like added seats for passengers, creative interior colors, etc (there was a big discussion on other sites about that).

Cheers,

Tim W.

I really do not think that anyone really cares how accurate one makes a kit,as there were many variations made in equipment on aircraft during the war. By the way , bac in the 1970's I had a look at a pair of b24 bomb doors in a scrap yard and they were  a Tanya primer grey color inside , and bare silver outside. If that helps, as I was building the monogram b24 around then.

7 minutes ago, Kevin H. said:

I really do not think that anyone really cares how accurate one makes a kit,as there were many variations made in equipment on aircraft during the war. By the way , bac in the 1970's I had a look at a pair of b24 bomb doors in a scrap yard and they were  a Tanya primer grey color inside , and bare silver outside. If that helps, as I was building the monogram b24 around then.

Yeah--I was getting a bit hyper about this stuff.  I may do some of the aft section floors or supports in Zinc Chromate just to break up the monotony.  Seems like there are dozens (if not more) variations of painting and gear arrangements on this beast.

Hope to make more progress this weekend!

Tim W.

If I remember my Grandpa's stories correctly, they were painted red for safety reasons.  I know that's why Witchcraft has them. Apparently if you step or crawl over them they will pop open.  

Hard to tell in this photo of my grandpa's B-24, but it appears they could be red.

3HsbYvw.jpg

Edited by Eraucubsfan

On 4/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, TimW said:

Very cool!  Interesting, I wonder if painting the interior of the nose wheel doors is a modern safety thing or did they do it back in the day?

Scroll down and you can see what happened when they left the brakes on (apparently that was one way to stop the wheel spinning after take off).

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~webermd1/family/Liberator-Info.html

is that definitely what happened?

looks almost funny but then not when you start to think about it...i presume multiple fatalities...

39 minutes ago, Eraucubsfan said:

If I remember my Grandpa's stories correctly, they were painted red for safety reasons.  I know that's why Witchcraft has them. Apparently if you step or crawl over them they will pop open.  

Hard to tell in this photo of my grandpa's B-24, but it appears they could be red.

3HsbYvw.jpg

Plus that nose wheel stays rolling fast, long after the doors are closed. 

10 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

looks almost funny but then not when you start to think about it...i presume multiple fatalities...

If the crew were following procedure, not necessarily.  During take-off and landings (including B-17s) nobody was supposed to be in the nose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 1:06 PM, nmayhew said:

That was very interesting  as I learned a lot about the b24. When I volunteered at the Alberta aviation museum  in Edmonton  10 years ago they also had a b24 bomb door donated to them, the inside colour of the door was a primer grey and the out side was matt white as we were told it came from a scrapped r.c.a.f. coastal command  b24 from British Columbia.  

Got some tedious bomb bay work done...been tied up with other stuff, pics coming soon.

Only putting 8 bombs in bomb bay.  I don't think those aircraft flying around in the Pacific often carried a full load.

The bomb bay.   8 bombs loaded.   They look shiny in this pic because I had just hit the whole assembly with some dullcoat to tone down the shininess. I wanted the bombs to look a bit beat up, like they'd been in an outdoor dump in the tropics.  Also why the colors are not matching.

j8fRuKx.jpg