1/32 F-5E Kittyhawk Double job

tchwrma

• 2 months later...

Hi, guys! After some time in posting the updates of the kits, besides that I had made progress in the kits, I failed in update the jobs.

So let's go:

I was unhappy with the Wheel bays, so I decided to made some scratch to get a better results.

I sanded the original tubing. and created the tubing of the bays using brass tubes.

NKaBjJf.jpg

578Ot0e.jpg

The results:

6UooSBU.jpg

DWYWeyl.jpg

i5lfn8S.jpg

This work gave me so many troubles, tat I decided to made the scratch in only one kit, leaving the other one OOB.

Here the two planes completely assembled:

yjZ6GSu.jpg

O5CpK8c.jpg

ib6zEOa.jpg

zMOCoVm.jpg

df3ufE3.jpg

Here a modification (I can't resist). The position lights of the kit are quite ugly, and not create a good shape in the wingtip pod.

QSWAdvw.jpg

So I discarded them and made new ones, with colored plastic. Much better, I believe:

sK8f0l6.jpg

Here, finally I received the Archer rivets set.

czHd0k0.jpg

One part absent in the kit, as the Kittyhawk kit are not an F-5E, but an F-5N, is the windshield cleaning pod.

I copied in resin from the pod included in the hasegawa kit. Here applied:

3ErDjV9.jpg

So after the correction of some issues, finally I started to paint them. First color in the two(Brown in the 4870 and grey in the 4857)

2wejsxP.jpg

EJ4DqJZ.jpg

Uuqgrta.jpg

Ge37tvX.jpg

Soon, more updates.

Cheers, Paulo.

Hate to brake it to You but Your modification to (what You call) the wingtip pods has been in vane... These "wingtip pods" are actually missile launchers for the AIM-9 Sidewinder and are not equipped with navigation lights...!!! If You have a good look at the wingtips of the wings, You'll find a hole at each side (which probably need to be filled with a transparent piece). THESE represent the formation lights...!!!  (Green on the right side & red on the left side.) 

Kind regards,

Rudy.

13 hours ago, Shujaa said:

Hate to brake it to You but Your modification to (what You call) the wingtip pods has been in vane... These "wingtip pods" are actually missile launchers for the AIM-9 Sidewinder and are not equipped with navigation lights...!!! If You have a good look at the wingtips of the wings, You'll find a hole at each side (which probably need to be filled with a transparent piece). THESE represent the formation lights...!!!  (Green on the right side & red on the left side.) 

Kind regards,

Rudy.

Rudy, thanks for your kind words, but I'm sure of these lights.

And a curiosity: The lights on the sidewinder pod are red and green, but the round ligths in the wing are red and blue, in the same way of the ones in the inlets of the fuselage. At least in the Brazilian jets.

kd0LEXt.jpg

tfRvEUh.jpg

hqrMIjc.jpg

NbS2l0F.jpg

MQREOTE.jpg

ORciDHI.jpg

oRe2Wzv.jpg

Cheers, Paulo.

Paulo i had the hardest time trying to make the clear cutout in the wing lights show up well. Mine kept reflecting the light color and i finally gave up. Would be interested in seeing your approach to those :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, themongoose said:

Paulo i had the hardest time trying to make the clear cutout in the wing lights show up well. Mine kept reflecting the light color and i finally gave up. Would be interested in seeing your approach to those :thumbsup:

I just cut a piece of colored plastic and glued in the place, in the sidewinders pod. Then I sanded with a dremel, to get the approximate size. The final sanding was made with various grains of sandpaper, until finally polishing the part, to get it done. Unfortunately, i did not photographed the process, but I can post pictures of the process made in a wingtips lights in a 1/32 Hellcat. It's the same process, only changing the clear plastic used in the
Hellcat one for a colored plastic in the F-5E.

Edited by tchwrma
spell checking

3 hours ago, CZPetrP said:

Nice job...

Thanks, my friend.

Just at this point, my compressor blows out. I'm no painting since friday. Tomorrow I believe that the job will be resumed.

Cheers, Paulo.

Edited by tchwrma
spell checking