F2H-3/4 Big Banjo

Dandiego

The horizontal stabs have been installed. I cut a slot from one side to the other, I then inserted a thin piece of sheet metal to use as a support. The sheet metal was then pushed into each stab between the upper and lower skins. Lots o epoxy and Bondo later.....

O2XS6Lj.jpg

Working on the lower inboard wing panels. These have a lot going on. I will be adding wells for the wheels and flap. I will need to accomodate exhausts and intakes as well.

AmqpmT8.jpg

e97HtxA.jpg

XTXE4J5.jpg

And I found some bits that will become the exhaust.

nJ68R9h.jpg

Later, Dan 

1 hour ago, R Palimaka said:

Wow. This is one gutsy build! It's looking spectacular so far. I love how you work out methods to build and detail what is basically a shell. Really impressive progress...and so fast!

Ricahrd

Richard,  fast?? Yes I do make some quick progress but....

Sometimes I get ahead of myself and make mistakes. Just yesterday I realized that the 2 main gear  wells were not lined up properly. Out with the dremel. Took about 10 minutes to correct.

Dan

Ok....

The bottom profile on the intakes needed re-shaping. So I cut the lower surface and re-attached with a little less of a  curve.

xVShn33.jpg

Next I want to have a representation of the lower portion of the engine with the inner flaps open. So I found a half round piece of something in the spares box that looked to be the right size. It was and I popped it into place.

vMpBZnV.jpg

I made a list to focus my efforts.

IEbXFvD.jpg

And I have installed the exhausts and am shaping the area aft.

AHWPFxR.jpg

Yup thats it for today, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

A little more progress.

I have been working on the intake interiors. I bent some plastic over a candle to get the main shape and then added a back plate and a side plate. I cut a hole in the back plate to accept the compressor face. Lots of putty and sanding to get a smooth transition to the engine face. I covered the hole in the rear and poured in some gloss white paint to get that smooth look.

Z9kgOYi.jpg

I used some tape to center the compressor face and then slobbered on some CA to hold it in place. Not very pretty but it will work.

tFhzkHA.jpg

And a little work to finish up the exhausts.

4QewSfn.jpg

I cut some plastic tubing in half for each side of the exhaust.

zP1ZDBn.jpg

Later, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a break, but here is a little more progress.

I have cut back the fuselage behind the cockpit to accommodate an equipment shelf. I then added a piece of plastic to hold the equipment in this area.

Oeq14lR.jpg

Test fit of the windscreen.

t3l3q9V.jpg

Some putty work to smooth out the intakes.

c2Awpe7.jpg

Thats all, Dan 

Just a little bit more.

I realized that the interface between the vertical tail and rudder was not perpendicular. So I added a shim and glued it onto the trailing edge of the tail. I also built up the base of the rudder to a more substantial base.

RlS5t22.jpg

I have been working on the instrument cowl. Very hard to get a good look at what this area looks like. Here is my best guess. Unpainted and with a coat of flat black.

ac0NtYl.jpg

l9gMkjc.jpg

Later, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

• 3 weeks later...