F2H-3/4 Big Banjo

Dandiego

4 hours ago, airscale said:

brilliant :) I love what you are doing here Dan - it is going to be one impressive model thats for sure

I can see you enjoy the freedom of just creating rather than be bound by what a kit has in it and it is that expression that makes your kind of building unique

Peter

Thanks Peter, I enjoy modelling as much as anyone. And this is the kind of build that gives me the most satisfaction.

I love trying to figure out how to do something different. Sometimes it takes days or weeks to get the right technique,  sometimes I just start cutting and gluing.

But it's always fun.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Some work on the cockpit.

What I have done is to cut up some old consoles from old kits or unused bits . I then sand them down to wafer thinness and then glue them to the new consoles. This isn't really accurate but it does give that "busy" look that I am after.

dFWzFES.jpg

IP. Flat panel with Airscale decals and bezels. Looks a little wacked in this large photo but will look the part when installed.

I8mLYPT.jpg

A little work on the tip tanks. The metal tab will slide into a slot in the end of the wing.

TKWHLKy.jpg

Dry fit of cockpit componets.

S9oTGHU.jpg

Canopy and windscreen set in place. The windscreen that comes with the kit seemed too large. So I cut down an F-18 windscreen and sanded a flat spot in front....seems to work.

uMRmj1O.jpg

Later, Dan

Major update

Fuselage closed up! Wings On!

Closing up the fuselage was really no big deal. Glue and rubber bands. The wings were another matter. I installed the port wing and made sure that it was level. The trick, I found out, was getting them symmetrical. Several hours later........Viola!

I cut some slots for the stabs, they are not permanently affixed yet.

UsK7IsD.jpg

loiSq2S.jpg

jrdQVbP.jpg

And just the slighest smear of Bondo to blend it in.

t9RoGqi.jpg

Dan

6 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

You started this on march 8th ?? It took me years to get this far with my vacform, so I am VERY impressed...

Maybe I missed it - you are using a IM cockpit tub that you modify ? Where is it from...

Thomas

Thomas, yes it is an IM cockpit tub. What kit did it come from? I have no idea. Just grabbed it from the spares box. However it is heavily modified with completely cobbled together side panels. The ejection seat is still to come.  It will be kit bashed from whatever bits I can find to resemble the actual seat.

Dan