Special Hobby V-1

This is Special Hobby's 1/32 scale V-1.  A lovely little kit, the usual lo-run moulding features, a bit of etch and a good decal sheet.  All paint by Mission Models with a final wash of Flory Black Weathering fluid.  Very fast and easy to build and paint.  The rear end of the fuselage and engine was assembled and painted in one factory, the explosive section in another and the nose guidance system at a third, all painted where manufactured. Like most munitions, they would only come together as a complete unit prior to launch, being assembled and adjusted in the local bomb dump.  Hence the mottle cammo on the back end, the linear colour demarcation on the explosive section and a freehand wavy colour separation on the nose.  Some areas were treated to a very thin wash of Mission Models Tyre Black to change the RLM83 and 76 on some sections to emphasise the disparate part manufacturing.

46592847394_7a57933615_c.jpg

32374204027_2f87bf829e_c.jpg

32374211107_0377f7493d_c.jpg

47316144971_03b8c70776_c.jpg

46401130945_d4d4012e69_c.jpg

32374219767_500e6bca66_c.jpg

Edited by Bruce_Crosby
delete texts

Hi Ray,

It's the mix recommended by Mission Models with a base of 10 drops paint, 3 drops thinner and 2 drops of Poly, scaled up as required.  I've been using Mission's paint for 2 years now and absolutely rate it.  The Poly levels the paint, I never have any tip drying on the airbrush and you can spray that mix thru an Infinity 0.15 all day long.  I used the same mix on my recent Me 262 from Revell and its consistently good.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby 

On 3/8/2019 at 9:28 AM, Bruce_Crosby said:

Hi Ray,

It's the mix recommended by Mission Models with a base of 10 drops paint, 3 drops thinner and 2 drops of Poly, scaled up as required.  I've been using Mission's paint for 2 years now and absolutely rate it.  The Poly levels the paint, I never have any tip drying on the airbrush and you can spray that mix thru an Infinity 0.15 all day long.  I used the same mix on my recent Me 262 from Revell and its consistently good.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby 

Thanks for the tip. Just to clarify, what is Poly? Not sure I have that.

Hi Ray,

MM does a bottle of Polyurethane Additive.  Most paint already has it in the mix but Mission Models has you add the amount you want.  It makes a real difference to the finish, it comes out really smooth but still flat.  Hardly ever get any tip drying. Just check out their web site, have a read of the mix instructions.  It soon becomes second nature.  None of that rubbish about adding Thinners until you get the consistency of milk.  Use the formula I suggested above, maybe add another drop of thinner if you’re using a real fine nozzle.  You end up with consistent, dependable, reuseable mixes.  They scale up in direct proportions.  Just don’t add Poly to their primers, just Thinners.

Also be aware the wet colour in the bottle won’t be what you get on the model.  As the paint dries, it changes shade as the poly levels it out and the carrier flashes off.  It’s partucularly noticeable on the late Luftwaffe colours. I usually mix and spray then go have a cup of coffee while the paint cures a bit.  You come back to a different, level, no runs colour. Plus it’s rock hard with the poly.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby