Tamiya A6M2 / A6M5 Zero Tweak List?

One-Oh-Four

I can help you with this.  I'm good friends with Ryan Toews who put together a tweaks list for the A6M5 when it came out, but a lot of new information has come out since then.  I'm working on trying to finish my A6M2 which I've been working on for YEARS and have scratch built a number of parts ready for resin production.  I'll start a post on my build.  The biggest weakness of the Tamiya kit is around the wheel bays since they went the "retractable landing gear" route, some weaknesses in the cockpit and engine, but otherwise it's probably the first really nice 1/32 kit made.  Our very own Johnie Hopper just 3D drew me an ignition ring for the A6M2 Sakae engine which I'm waiting to get back from Shapeways so I can start working on completing the engine.  The Big Ed set is a must if you want a nice build, and the Aires wheel bays are a decent replacement (although still with a few detail issues), and their cockpit set adds a LOT of detail to what's a very busy cockpit.  Edwards wheels are an upgrade but they got the tire size wrong:(!  Rexx makes a nice A6M2 exhaust, working to get them to make ones for the A6M5 as the Moskit ones are hard to find these days.

I'll post a starter tweaks list later tonight.

Thanks Juggernut:)  Where in PA are you (PM me), I'm in Schwenksville.

Here are a few additions/corrections to the list.  Ryan has been helping me for years now on research, and thanks to him I'm creating some much needed correction parts, hopefully to be released soon.

• The tires should have tread for the A6M5.  The switch from bald to treaded occurred right at the start of the A6M5 production.  The kit parts are rubber, and lack any markings.  Eduard makes a replacement set in resin but they are inaccurate in the markings (for one, they are marked as 400 x 100, whereas the real tires were 650 x 175), etc..  Hoping Johnnie can come to the rescue, I can't scratch build Kanji!
  • The plug wires are missing.  They are in the Eduard set but they are 2D.  The real thing was braided steel covering, I'm using RB Motion scale braided wire.
  • The kit ignition ring has just 14 pips for the plug leads.  There should be a second set (running front to rear).  Johnnie has drawn me a GEORGEOUS replacement ring with all 28 plug leads, plus the (missing) 4 larger leads that ran a larger braided cables back to the magnetos, plus crank case mounting brackets.  I'll post the drawing.
  • Crank case color is close to RLM 76 on the 2 Nakajima engines I've seen in person in original color
  • Both upper wings have 2 circular ports that Tamiya has you install a red decal (fuel filler).  The outer one was actually a clear glass window to provide a light source for the wing ammo bay.  Drill this out, thin from the underside and install thin clear sheet styrene, and fill in the thumb release latch - hold the water, this is for the A6M2
  • The starboard wing has a small rectangular spot on the leading edge.  This should be opened, as it had an air duct that ran back into the wing.  It's also visible in the port wheel bay (towards the top of the wing to clear the LG strut).  This has never been replicated on and Zero kit I know of, and is very prominent.  Years ago, Moskit released a 1/32 "Detail set" which included this duct, as well as the (also missing) cowl mg cooling jacket which vented to the tear drop shaped opening aft of the cowl.  The wing L.E duct had a mesh screen behind it, and a small door usually open but barely visible at the top of that opening.  In the wheel bay, wiring ran underneath this duct, which runs front to rear the whole width of the wheel bay.
  • There are 3 circular depressions in the spinner.  These should be drilled out and thinned out inside the spinner.
  • I'd recommend replacing the landing gear doors with the Brengun set for the Hasegawa A6M5c, they are the same and much nicer.

I haven't gotten that far into my A6M5 yet, but this is a start.  I'll post notes on the A6M2 as soon as I can get those together.

Happy modeling!

Edited by Scott Negron

Guys! Thank you! Goldmine! At this moment I'm in the beginning phase of my A6M2 (cockpit and rear fuselage details as per Big Ed), so all help is welcome! I'll start a WIP later although be warned; I'm notorious for not finishing builds.... :whistle: :innocent:

Scott, is there a way for me to obtain a 3D-print of Johnnie's ignition ring? Or do you have your own aftermarket enterprise, seeing you write about releasing parts?

Thanks, Jug, I searched j-aircraft but couldn't find it myself! :blush:

Kevin, seems you were right! B)

Cheers,

Erik.

I can email you the 3D file if you want to have it printed.  I'm waiting for 2 copies from Shapeways but will have to see the product surface detail/resolution.  I have a friend who has access to the highest res 3D printer made and may be sending him the file as well.

Which A6M2 are you doing (PH, Rabaul, Mitsubishi/Nakajima)?  There are many other tweaks for the A6M2 not in the A6M5 list.  I will post them.  Difference in landing gear legs, fuselage bottles mounting, etc..  I have a seat I scratch built years ago but the master and molds were lost:(!  I have 4 copies and hope to have them re-cast soon.  I also have a new tail hook and bay, and a drop tank.

Here are images of A6M2 landing gear differences: (note "scalloped" attachment between leg and swing arm, and lightening holes in fork with rosette welds).  Also, wing leading edge duct I was referring to

HaradaReconWheelWell2_zpsf43179fe.jpg

LandingGearA_zps9cca62bd.jpg

LandingGearB_zps1dd3bba1.jpg

Thanks Scott! I'm planning on doing one of the kit-supplied options, although I will use masks instead of the kit decals as much as possible. So that would most probably mean a Mitsubishi-built A6M2b, since I understand that Nakajima-built A6M2's only started being issued to units in 1942? Thanks for the pics on the landing gear, looks like the build will be more involved than I imagined!

Cheers,

Erik.

29 minutes ago, One-Oh-Four said:

Thanks Scott! I'm planning on doing one of the kit-supplied options, although I will use masks instead of the kit decals as much as possible. So that would most probably mean a Mitsubishi-built A6M2b, since I understand that Nakajima-built A6M2's only started being issued to units in 1942? Thanks for the pics on the landing gear, looks like the build will be more involved than I imagined!

Cheers,

Erik.

Not that you're wrong, on the contrary you're correct...to add as I remember, the Nakajima built A6M2 Model 21's were being built when the Hawaiian Operation was commenced but just missed out on being deployed for that operation. To quote Maxwell Smart..."Missed it by "THAT" much."

Yes, the first Nakajima A6M2 was literally finished December 8th (PHD)!  If you're doing a Pearl Harbor plane (like me) there are some decal alternatives, some OOP.  There are also much better stencils.

I'll post pics of the ignition ring, they shipped already.  Planning to drill the holes out (too thin to print), and shoot some clear coat to smooth things out.  Waiting on getting seat, tail hook/bay and drop tank produced.

ol5935606-REJECTION%20CAPTURE_zpslxevx2p

Nice to see other Zero fans out there:)!

Jennings! Hardly recognize you with your updated photo!

Scott: ring looks good! Look forward to your detail set. Will you also offer it in 1/24th? Trumpy needs more help than Tamiya!

Anyone who wants one, PM  me your email address and I'll send you the 1:1 scale file and you scan scale it to 1/24 (I have it in 1/32 as well).  I received an email from Shapeways, that they have shipped and waiting to see the quality/resolution.  My friend Joe is pointing me to:

https://www.collapseindustries.com/

who apparently has the highest resolution 3D printer made.  He's taking a look at the 262 and zero part drawings.  I'm talking to 2 resin companies about making them available in resin:)  I also have the scratch built masters that just need casting, and am working on the corrected A6M2 landing gear legs.

For an A6M2 at the time of Pearl Harbor, the "perfect" IJN Grey mix has been said to be:

XF-19 (Sky Grey) 105 drops
XF-49 (Khaki) 20 drops
XF-25 (Lt. Sea Grey) 15 drops

There are several entire threads dedicated to that topic somewhere here.

Here is a link to the Research Article on j-aircraft.com.

http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/otherres.htm

There are color mixes for all the various colors, including the differences between Mitsubishi and Nakajima Ame-Iro, and the blue-gray fabric dope color.

I have an extensive collection of A6M3 fragments in very good condition (all A6M3 were Mitsubishi built). The cockpit color is near mint as it was painted before being riveted over and covered for over 60 tears.  It's almost spot on to FS 34151.  The Ame-Iro is also in excellent condition and matches well other Pearl Harbor artifacts of the same shade.

Of note are 5 different shades of Aotake, that they aren't just differences in thickness, but various shades of blue to green.  When I bought them I had an extensive discussion with Ryan about this.  He mentioned sub-contractors making many pre-formed components.  A Nakajima wheel bay he examined demonstrated this, then a final coat which made it seem more uniform.

Sorry about the poor lighting, I need to take better pictures, and a real camera:(!

Glad to see so many fellow Zero geeks out the:)!

20190112_211512_zpsz1wdvkcj.jpg

20190112_211225_zps1tsoyutz.jpgzero_mitsubishi_fragment_color_cockpit_z

Hello Gentlemen,

Scott mentioned this thread on the phone this afternoon so I came to check it out. After some attempts to sign up as a new member I discovered I already had done so some time ago. A bit of password recovery and here I am. For what it's worth I sent a copy of my A6M5 tweak list to Rado Marczak a number of years ago when he reviewed the Tamiya kit here.   https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=938  So you did in fact see it on LSP, albeit well hidden away. I also have done a similar list for the A6M2, but it too needs to be revisited and brought up to date.

At any rate, several of you mentioned you were considering a build of a large scale Zero so I'll make an offer to help out as best I can if any of you have any questions.

Ryan Toews