Unboxing a Bf 109

RBrown

Great video, but I hardly think it counts as a  '109 in a crate'. No fuselage, engine, or wings, and 90% of the sheet metal they have is repopped. It's a good start to a 109 restoration kit and I appreciate the work and passion, but it's not a broken down 109 in a box. It's a number plate and a bunch of hardware. It would kind of be like having a VIN, a bumper and an ashtray and claiming you had a '69 Shelby Mustang.

Certainly a long way to go on this build.  I know Kermit owns a few DB 605’s.   He has them displayed in one of his hangars.   Another interesting point towards the end of the video there is a segment on a built up fuselage.    Is this Kermit’s fuselage?   Interesting to follow this one.   The on going Bf 108 restoration is really interesting if you get a chance to watch the 108 being dismantled.    

Great stuff here.  Thanks for sharing. 

Troy 

On 3/8/2019 at 3:36 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Certainly a long way to go on this build.  I know Kermit owns a few DB 605’s.   He has them displayed in one of his hangars.   Another interesting point towards the end of the video there is a segment on a built up fuselage.    Is this Kermit’s fuselage?   Interesting to follow this one.   The on going Bf 108 restoration is really interesting if you get a chance to watch the 108 being dismantled.    

Great stuff here.  Thanks for sharing. 

Troy 

The impression I got from the vid was that Kermit bought all the stuff from the guy who was there explaining it, and at the end he invited the guy to come up with a proposal to keep working on it on Kermit's behalf. I think the fuselage is probably part of that, now commissioned by Kermit, effectively. It lets the guy continue with his passion, funded by Kermit.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, gwana said:

The impression I got from the vid was that Kermit bought all the stuff from the guy who was there explaining it, and at the end he invited the guy to come up with a proposal to keep working on it on Kermit's behalf. I think the fuselage is probably part of that, now commissioned by Kermit, effectively. It lets the guy continue with his passion, funded by Kermit.

That's exactly as I understand it too.

Kermit is the largest private aircraft collector in the world and, I believe, a billionaire.  His grandfather was a geologist who earned petroleum discovery royalties off the coat of Australia, and he bequeathed them to Kermit.

Kermit has an enormous aircraft ownership/preservation/restoration operation set up in Florida outside of Orlando and is apparently adding this 109 G to the lineup through the seller from Canada who will do the restoration work himself.

Kermit is living the life that probably a lot of folks around here can only dream of!

He basically buys, collects, works on, and flies aircraft "for a living."

His videos are fantastic for those new to all this.  Check them out!