BIG Stuka - Airfix 1/24 finished

Gisbod

So, as I wait on my Maketar Masks set for the 1/18 FW190, the devil has found work to do for my idle thumbs.

I’ve been tracking Airfix Stukas on eBay for a while now, but yesterday stumbled across a dusty box at the back of the shelves at the Sussex Model Centre. It seemed like fate and I had that serendipitous moment that was foretold by the modelling gods...

So here she is, shamelessly dwarfing my modelling bench:

FF3-DDBE7-D80-A-48-A4-AB01-23-D75-E7-DEA

After a trawl on the internet and a post requesting info, I realised that there is next to no aftermarket for this old girl. I was expecting a mountain of PE, resin and stickers. No problem though, it will be great fun modding as I go (don’t expect too much here), but I’m sure I can add the odd wire or lever here and there. What I will be getting are a set of Montex Masks which, in addition to the markings, have canopy masks - although my previous experience of vinyl masks leaves me with a little trepidation, but it’s a start. I haven’t picked a scheme yet - I’m still hovering between a standard/ desert/ winter finish. There’s also an Airscale brass instrument panel available, but tbh the kit IP is pretty impressive - just add Airscale Decals. I’ll have a think on that. The other must will be a set of HGW generic Luftwaffe belts.

Looking in the box the first thing that struck me was the indecent amount of flash on the sprues. Although, as it’s a mould well used from the 70’s this is only to be expected. The surface detail ain’t too bad, little bit woolly, but not excessively so. It definitely has promise and I reckon this is going to be a fun build.

I’ve done a mock up of the cockpit and it took me most of the evening to remove all the flash! But, once done it really doesn’t look half bad and it’s a good starting point at least. From what I’ve heard of the kit, it fits well and is accurate enough in dimensions (if only Trumpeter could do this I might have even attempted one of theirs).

Here’s what the kit basically gives you in the cockpit - IP, side panels and radio boxes:

041-A88-C8-721-B-42-D6-8-B6-D-EB22-B1-A6

The main elements:

DEBFCAE4-E2-C5-438-A-9-FDB-B8512-D8581-B

CA256874-FB33-4128-8994-37-DC97761-E8-B.

Can't wait to get stuck in! 

Thanks,

Guy

ps any suggestions along the way more than welcome.

Edited by Gisbod

One of the best 24th scale super kits from Airfix(outside the Hurricane)..built two of them a couple years after they were released..loooong ago..:lol:

The one thing I did was sand the surfaces down just a bit..to remove the graininess of the plastic,back then we didn't have the great primers available now...will be pulling up a chair.:popcorn: 

Also pulling up a chair. This was the first 1/24 kit I built (at the tender age of 14!). The original pattern maker for this (and the 109) was the father of a friend of mine. When you consider what he had to work with back then (no CAD/computers), it makes the kit even more impressive. :popcorn:

11 hours ago, williamj said:

One of the best 24th scale super kits from Airfix(outside the Hurricane)..built two of them a couple years after they were released..loooong ago..:lol:

The one thing I did was sand the surfaces down just a bit..to remove the graininess of the plastic,back then we didn't have the great primers available now...will be pulling up a chair.:popcorn: 

Thanks Will,

That sounds like a plan, the surface moulding is a little fuzzy by today’s standard, and yes, the surface has a coarseness to it, but again, for the age of the kit and what they had to work with back then, it’s blooming good (can anyone tell me the release year? Can’t seem to find it on google?). Must have been amazing back in its day... 

Although, digressing, I have just received a 2018 GWH 1/48th Mig 35 Flanker and, boy, the detail in that kit is astounding! I think it may well be the best looking kit I’ve ever opened the box on. Don’t know about fit etc, but wow... :blink:

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Neat!  I used to love the old MPC 1/24th kits. Ahh youth!      Looking forward to you getting stuck in this one.

Yep, Youth Brian, I think that’s why we all love these Airfix kits, faults and all. Pure escapism to the past...

11 hours ago, Sir Spendalot said:

Also pulling up a chair. This was the first 1/24 kit I built (at the tender age of 14!). The original pattern maker for this (and the 109) was the father of a friend of mine. When you consider what he had to work with back then (no CAD/computers), it makes the kit even more impressive. :popcorn:

Yep, I have a picture somewhere of me making a big Stuka when I was about 8, although I think it may have been a 1/32 one, Hasegawa? I remember the box art - the big red snake on a desert camouflage. If I can find it I may even post it  ;)

9 hours ago, rigor said:

Doesn't peter. Aka airscale. Make an pe. Ip for this kit 

Yes, I’m considering that one.

Thanks for looking in,

Guy

Thanks Rob & Tom :)

I hadn't really meant to start this kit but I’ve been drawn in by its loveliness :frantic:

The cockpit is is really good, I’ve added a little detail to sharpen it up, but it doesn’t need a huge makeover. I’ve added seat cushions from Milliput, the gunners seat would really give you a sore a***. I can’t imagine them not having a cushion there... I’ve fabricated a fairly generic oxygen bottle from odds & ends from the spares box and replaced all the moulded knobs & levers with rod and super glue and a few other bits and pieces. I’m going to add a bit of wiring but I think I’ll leave that until after painting - I’ll use coloured wire to hopefully give it a little more depth rather than just post painting.

There are still some more things to do but this is the gist of it:

C9-E6-F832-5-F83-4-D62-8-FCF-DFD7-A761-B

3-DD42055-085-D-4-BB3-ACBE-3-A28936759-C

83-A035-AC-0-CC1-45-DF-89-E4-0-AD8-D9-C6

D9173-CB9-179-C-4592-B220-89-E407-DEFBB0

I ended up ordering the Airscale brass instrument panel so I’ll have to wait for that to arrive before I can go too much further on the cockpit. I may dip into the engine next. I also ordered Montex Masks, HGW belts and a Master Barrels MG for the rear gunner.

Have a good weekend...

Guy

Quick postscript... 

Just to demonstrate the flash levels:

FA8-D248-D-685-B-42-EF-BE2-F-4750088-E89

And one other complaint is the numbering of parts is completely random. To find a part on the sprue you just have to look through and find it by shape.. and there are a lot of parts to look through!

Still a great kit though.

Guy

Thanks Ray,

Its the last run I think, I have heard that it’s better to get an early one if you can. It’s definitely an age related issue of the the mouldings. It doesn’t really effect the finished model, just means more clean up. The exhausts were a pain I must admit!

To be honest, they look a little rough in a macro image, but when painted and viewed normally I reckon they’ll look ok. Hollowing out soft plastic ends isn’t high up on my favourite modelling jobs... :wacko:

E21-D078-E-E88-E-4150-A60-C-56434-D7-F41

Guy