BIG Stuka - Airfix 1/24 finished

Gisbod

That paint is turning out lovely! I do so love the way MRP shoots.

I'm not sure on how deep you are on the mask process, but for next time......

I find for more complex masks that have fine line detail and two colors to them like balkenkreuz and hakenkreuz, you can really save yourself some hassle and possible frustrations if you use some clear frisket film to move the entire mask with all parts at one time, then remove the main black parts, shoot the black, then reinstall the part that covers the black, removing the tiny white parts and shoot the white. 

I find keeping the whole mask together from the jump & weeding out what what you need to spray vs shooting a base of white, then reinstalling the fine parts to cover the white keeps the small parts in line with the larger much better.

23 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I find keeping the whole mask together from the jump & weeding out what what you need to spray vs shooting a base of white, then reinstalling the fine parts to cover the white keeps the small parts in line with the larger much better.

Thanks Brian, that’s very helpful, alas too late for this build, but I have another set of masks for the Fw190 so I’ll try it there.

That said, I didn’t have any issues with the masks at all. They’ve exceeded all my expectations and then some. Thoroughly recommended. The only drawback I found was on the masks for the canopy - they again worked well, but did leave some residue glue that was a pain to get off. It seemed totally resilient to everything! 

I’ve pretty much finished and next post will be in the completed models section when I’ve taken some photos (not an easy task with this behometh!) but here are some markings after the masking:

CC68-C7-B5-933-D-46-E4-89-CF-C9-CA9-E6-A

31-AF47-BC-8-ADF-463-B-B8-FE-4461-BB3-D4

Thanks for following along. 

Guy 

Ps I’ve just realised that this has taken me 18 days from buying the kit to finished. That’s mad quick for a kit this size. I’m not racing but I can always tell when I’m enjoying a model as I can’t put it down... :huh:

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

2 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'll shut my mouth, cause however you did it, the masks came out beautifully!

:P Not at all Brian, I’m always up for tips to ease the journey!

Guy