BIG Stuka - Airfix 1/24 finished

Gisbod

11 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Ps. I’ve sanded down the rivet detail on the surface, hopefully keeping, but just toning down, the effect. If you shut your eyes and ran your fingers over the surface it was like reading Braille :coolio:

Translated says "I'm a 30 year old kit".

31 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

I’d really like to know when it was first released? 

Guy

Hi,

This is the first box.

I must have been about 15 years old. So some 43 years ago.

It stood in the shop's window for many weeks/months. And then it was gone. Sold !

I didn't have enough money to buy it.:crying:

Together with the Spitfire,Hurricane and Me 109 it formed a quartet of Battle of Britain kits.

The same box art was used again later but without the swastika  on it.

Unsure about the first release date

s-l1600.jpg

1960-1.jpg

Edited by Erwin

20 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Ps. I’ve sanded down the rivet detail on the surface, hopefully keeping, but just toning down, the effect. If you shut your eyes and ran your fingers over the surface it was like reading Braille :coolio:

Hi Guy,

What is your opinion on the rivet detail?

Also, I have read but could never clearly see in photos, that the wing was flush riveted on the front third of the cord, but raised rivets aft of that point. Do you know anything about this?

Looks great all with all the main parts assembled!

Alain

3 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

the wing was flush riveted on the front third of the cord, but raised rivets aft of that point. Do you know anything about this?

Alain

Morning Alain,

Well that’s exactly how it’s represented on the kit; raised rivets aft and flushed rivets forward. There’s also a mix of raised and flush on the fuselage at the tail. Reading the article (pg 3) Airfix had one to pore over in detail so I don’t doubt that they got it spot on.

However, they are surely too prominent on the kit. I elected to tone down the effect. Partly  because I’m using vinyl paint masks for the markings and I couldn’t see how they would conform to such a bumpy surface. 

Guy

Finally! Got some paint down. It took quite a long time to check it all over for imperfections and then minor filling & sanding. There seems to be a lot of square footage of plastic. 

I’d normally airbrush the primer coat but as it’s so big I resorted to a rattle can. 

The canopy masks from Montex fitted pretty well. I normally can’t get vinyl to conform but these seemed ok.

Colouring in next! 

Guy

4-F7-EEAA0-7657-490-F-A997-0-BF1-DBB1-C8

2 hours ago, Sir Spendalot said:

That's freaky - they look like sketches!

I cranked up the brightness which probably over eggs the effect, but all will be well under some paint! 

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Please continue Guy.

Dont worry Ryan, I am! I only meant to make a start on it as I was waiting on my Maketar Masks for the Fw190 - they still haven’t arrived - it looks like I may get to complete a large 1/24 kit in the gap at this rate... 

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

Thanks Gazza...

Quite a bit further on. I’ve painted all the main areas now with MRP colours - RLM 65/ 70/ 71. Hairspray again for the wing roots and Montex Masks in place! These are really beautiful and I can’t wait to see how they turn out. I’ve only rarely used masks so still a bit of a novelty for me.

49-A348-F4-4-BA5-4-D15-8-DF1-4-CBD8-AE6-

Guy