Dragon BF 110 D (Completed)

Neo

Looking good, and like that you proceeded while managing daily life!

If only painting gauges (no decals or PE) I will first paint panel with either Lacquer or Enamel white.

Then paint it Acrylic black. You can then either paint rest of panel now, or after the following;

Have reference with you and use fresh X-Acto blade and a pin to gently scrape away

the Acrylic black from raised areas of gauge, including the gauge needle which you then paint red, etc.

Once done, fill with Clear gloss (if using Future, do several times each time it is dry until level like glass).

HTH

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 5:09 AM, phasephantomphixer said:

Looking good, and like that you proceeded while managing daily life!

If only painting gauges (no decals or PE) I will first paint panel with either Lacquer or Enamel white.

Then paint it Acrylic black. You can then either paint rest of panel now, or after the following;

Have reference with you and use fresh X-Acto blade and a pin to gently scrape away

the Acrylic black from raised areas of gauge, including the gauge needle which you then paint red, etc.

Once done, fill with Clear gloss (if using Future, do several times each time it is dry until level like glass).

HTH

Great tip 

ill try this on the next one for  sure.

thanks

Well i have an update. Ive reached the milestone of closing the fuselage and im super happy. the fit on this kit is really impressive.

I had a spare master barel from master arado kit applied to the rear gun
6JywxDo.jpg

Here is the front of the cockpit with the PE seeatbelts. I did find in annoying that the belt didn't fit in the seats hole that is meant for it. so i took the creative route and passed them over the seat. 
X6lFdId.jpg

the rest of the pit with the 2 rear seats,  all weathering was done using tamiya panel wash and tamiya weathering pastels

xxxUTkC.jpg

and the best time fuselage is closed. now i can forget i ever did the above work since we can now barely see it !!!
eNdcO8O.jpg

Thanks for following

Cheers

4 hours ago, Fanes said:

That's looking good! What reference did you use for the detail painting?
I hope I'll get my build to the same stage soon.

Thank you

For reference i used other builds on LSP. Some images from google and so.e creative licence. I do have the squadron book but its mostly for exterior ref

• 2 weeks later...

So im giving Black Basing technique a try. 

Saturday i sprayed a full coat of humbrol gloss black.

While looking at the result im super satisfied with the fuselage as it shows no seam marks anywhere. 

The wings are looking good to

Pics soon

Update TIME!! 

lets start with something simple. 

ive painted the MLG in alclad white aluminium and applied weathering 

kjqBgtw.jpg

Now for the trial part. the entire AC was painted black with humbrol 21.

and here is my first ever black basing attempt.

i was having a hard time with my airbrush i kept on having some splatter while motheling, the difference from my normal painting is that i thinned the paint more. i played with the air pressure but could not dial it in to get a cleat spray.  

WKVmBhN.jpg

CqoKdvp.jpg

cG6XusX.jpg

kfvu7eH.jpg

Using my phone camera its supper hard to capture the effect. Im somewhat satisfied. i will most likely spray a thin layer of yellow over it all

Thanks for following

Neo

Yellow is a tricky colour for black basing - at least in my short experience!
My approach is to add a white marble before the yellow marbe to reduce the contrast, but you did a good job on your 110.

I'm looking forward to see more colour!

Edited by Fanes

I agree with Joachim about yellow being tricky for black basing techniques, though I'm soon going to be doing the same for my Harvard. My approach wIll be to apply a less intense, more disrupted black base probably using the Scotchbrite pad idea recently discussed in the Techniques section.  

Thanks for the comments Fanes& mozart

For the yellow black basing i watched dogs models video technique. I think for the wing section my main problem was that i had real trouble mothelling

So i spent tonight painting the underside of this big girl. It started out pretty badly, i was getting the same orrible spray pattern. So after thinning and thinning still not better. 

So i swapped out to my other  airbrush and thing got better. The down side is the the other AB has a bigger nozzle hence making the paint really too thin.

All that aside i manage to get a nice black basing coat on. 

Pics to come soon.

I did find the culprit of my airbrush issue. After tearring it down i found a small fiber of paper towel sticking out of the nozzle.(actually took a magnifying glass to see it.) So hopefully next time it should be fine! 

Cheers

Looks pretty darn good, Neo! Actually, for a base for light, warm colors like yellow, I start with a browner tone, it keeps the color warmer when you let some of the base show through. 

On 5/9/2019 at 2:37 AM, LSP_Ray said:

Looks pretty darn good, Neo! Actually, for a base for light, warm colors like yellow, I start with a browner tone, it keeps the color warmer when you let some of the base show through. 

Thanks Ray

i will try that next time for sure