Dragon BF 110 D (Completed)

Neo

So here is my entry for my first LSP Group Build

the kit is the Dragon BF 110 E-2 trop, with Montex mask BF 110D Shark mouth and the rest will be OOB. 

I don't believe i have ever built a Axis subject up to date but ironically i will have 3 of them on my bench in the coming months , i have this one , a 1/35 sd.kfz and a trumpeter 1/24 BF109 that i want to get going.

i stated building this kit in my living room watching the kids since there are many sub assemblies that can be done requiring no paint. thus far i have basic cockpit, engines, gear bays built and i must say im really happy with the fit so far. 

last night i manage to get my first round of base coat going and im ready to start detailing the cockpit and weathering the engines

hjjKSSC.jpg

b1ZX3rP.jpg

More soon

Edited by Neo

Very nice start to your build. I just finished the C-7 version of this kit and enjoyed the build. The instructions can be a big hurdle as there are several errors in them. You can check out my build in this GB for most of them. 

Carl

Another Bf 110 - a welcome addition to the group build.

13 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

The instructions can be a big hurdle as there are several errors in them. You can check out my build in this GB for most of them. 

I second that - make sure you triple check what you're doing before commiting to glue. Looking at the hyperscale errata list is a must and the nighfighter conversion builds from the "pale moonlight" group build are a good reference, too.

I'll be following!

3 hours ago, Neo said:

Thanks for the tips. 

Do you have a link to the hyperscale ref?

I also have the 1/48 and other 1/32 manual just for refs

Here's the link to the Hyperscale article. It's at the end of the review.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/reviews/kits/dragon3203reviewbg_1.htm

It doesn't cover everything though. I found a few more during my build that weren't mentioned. I've put the notes on them in my WIP thread. 

Carl

On 3/7/2019 at 4:52 PM, BloorwestSiR said:

Here's the link to the Hyperscale article. It's at the end of the review.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/reviews/kits/dragon3203reviewbg_1.htm

It doesn't cover everything though. I found a few more during my build that weren't mentioned. I've put the notes on them in my WIP thread. 

Carl

Thanks carl

Here is a small update

i've painted and finalized the engines, i used some Mig pigments and oil staining from their armor engine weathering kit. 

im pretty happy with the results. although i did not check how easy it is to leave and engine cover off this kit!  The exhaust are painted using alclad exhaust  Manifold i really love the look. 

as for the cockpit, ive did some detail painting but there is allot more to do before its done. 

i did attack the IP but im really unsatisfied and i think im goin to strip it down and start over. I would really like to find a detailed tutorial on how to pain instrument panels has this is always a pain point of my builds and i feel i could use a better technique

EpY3HH8.jpg

F8yjJ8r.jpg

Dd4rZEn.jpg

More soon!! 

Thanks for following along 

Really nice work. 

For the engine covers, if you're careful, you can leave the upper one loose so that it's removable after completion. I started by gluing the upper and lower rear pieces on first to the nacelles,  then the upper ones with the exhaust cutouts were next and finally I was able to slip on the front upper cover. The engine went in after the rear cowls were on. 

Hope that helps

Carl

Those engines are really good looking!

The engine covers can be a little (read: much) frustrating to get to fit properly. By leaving the upper cover completely of you may save yourself a lot of time and work.

Getting those covers to be removable will require really carfeul dry fitting. I recommend to check out the other 110 builds. There's some good advice on the fitting sequence.

Cheers

Joachim

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, TimW said:

Looking good!  I have a Bf-110 in the stash.  Want to do one of the ones that flew from Mosul in Iraq.  One of these days.

Me too! As you say, one of these days...

Those exhausts look great!

On 3/14/2019 at 2:10 AM, BloorwestSiR said:

Really nice work. 

For the engine covers, if you're careful, you can leave the upper one loose so that it's removable after completion. I started by gluing the upper and lower rear pieces on first to the nacelles,  then the upper ones with the exhaust cutouts were next and finally I was able to slip on the front upper cover. The engine went in after the rear cowls were on. 

Hope that helps

Carl

Thanks for the tip carl.

I will try to have one open

On 3/14/2019 at 5:55 AM, Fanes said:

Those engines are really good looking!

The engine covers can be a little (read: much) frustrating to get to fit properly. By leaving the upper cover completely of you may save yourself a lot of time and work.

Getting those covers to be removable will require really carfeul dry fitting. I recommend to check out the other 110 builds. There's some good advice on the fitting sequence.

Cheers

Joachim

Hah sound like im going to have fun

On 3/23/2019 at 8:34 PM, LSP_Ray said:

Me too! As you say, one of these days...

Those exhausts look great!

Thanks ray.

Ive made some small progress over the weeks. Mostly built the landing gear and fitted most of parts of the cockpit. 

I will post some pics soon when i have more to show