1/32 Trumpeter Me262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

On 3/10/2019 at 3:51 PM, Thunnus said:

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the positive comments!  I just got back from a trip to Hawaii so I'll get back on my Corsair build soon!

Which Island?  I kinda hated the big Island, way too touristy, but we ended up staying on Maui @ Lahaina.   Great local, and Maui is really nice. Great tours off Maui to the likes of Molokai too! 

Fun (but EXPENSIVE times!)

25 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

I was on Oahu, Brian.  Grew up there and so I was visiting my parents and sister, who live there now.  Just a short trip to celebrate my dad's 88th birthday.

Nice! We never got to go to Oahu, but its on my list when I go next.

so, SO nice in the islands......had to have been a great childhood growing up in, then living in HI.

Definitely jealous on that one

I can't complain!  Although I do prefer living here on the "mainland" now.  I'ts good to know that I'll always have a place to stay and makes for a nice, convenient vacation, especially since the airfares have gone down a bit now that Southwest is providing service to Hawaii.  Weather wasn't the greatest while I was there... partly cloudy with some rain and lots of wind.

• 8 months later...

Fantastic build as usual. I love following your builds and techniques. The micromesh weathering you did to the paint work is impressive. Do you think you'll attempt this on future builds over your standard preshading? Also curious as to what grit of micromesh you used to do this? I'm eager to give this a try.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:34 PM, Dpgsbody55 said:

Very nice indeed. :wow:

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you Michael!  I appreciate the comment!

On 11/20/2019 at 2:15 PM, Robthepom said:

stunning model congrats and thanks for sharing

Thank you very much Rob!

15 hours ago, Obersauce said:

Fantastic build as usual. I love following your builds and techniques. The micromesh weathering you did to the paint work is impressive. Do you think you'll attempt this on future builds over your standard preshading? Also curious as to what grit of micromesh you used to do this? I'm eager to give this a try.

Thank you Obersauce!  I used the finer grades of micromesh to abrade away some of the paint finish.  6000, 8000 and 12000.  It's a technique worth exploring but please note that it will expose any slight surface imperfections (sink marks, mold imperfections, etc) that would otherwise go unseen.  I was thinking about trying it in conjunction with the hairspray chipping technique but am not sure if wet sanding with the micromesh may be "too much" on a hairspray finish.

• 2 years later...
On 10/10/2022 at 6:22 AM, Sasha As said:

Well done! Really liked the model!

Thank you Sasha!

On 10/11/2022 at 6:42 PM, Uncarina said:

How did I miss this? You brought this kit to life John, especially challenging with a monotone scheme. Well done!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom! I really wanted to do the hard-edged tail mottle when I saw photos of Yellow 3 and having the Silhouette Portrait mask cutter made it so much easier!

On 10/12/2022 at 1:14 AM, alaninaustria said:

Awesome! Just curious why the leading edge slats are not deployed? They were extended from spring pressure and gravity when the aircraft was stationary. 

I love your painting and weathering skills mate! Outstanding!!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you Alan! I made the decision to retract the slats not realizing that they were most likely extended on parked aircraft.  Based on the amount of fill work I performed to get the slats to fit right, I wasn't in the mood to try and remove them once they were glued in.  If I had to do over, yes, I would've shown them dropped.