1/32 Trumpeter Me262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

Thanks so much for the comments!  I appreciate it!  I was unsure as to how this one was going to turn out since I changed directions so many times.  Instead of my normal pre-shade routine, I was headed toward black-basing but then I swerved off into a totally different direction after playing with some ideas using the extra engine nacelle as a guinea pig.  I was wondering if removing paint over a natural metal finish using Micromesh might give me a better interpretation of wear than the pre-shade/post-shade techniques that I was accustomed to using.  

IMG-4396.jpg

IMG-4397.jpg

This test pointed me in a certain direction and established a visual goal that I could shoot for.  In some ways, I think the actual finish fell short of the testbed.  I'm afraid some conservativeness and worry crept in when I should've been more freewheeling with the Micromesh, especially on the bottom.

JTK-3229.jpg

Many good learning experiences on this one!

2 hours ago, Durangokid said:

I was wondering how you replicated that.  So you painted the metal color first, then finished with a normal paint job before sanding some areas?

Bryan

Yes!  I also added a representation of grey putty around the panel lines because that was observed on Yellow 3.  Chipping around the wing roots was done with hairspray.

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Just a magnificent build, John! One of my favourite 262 models so far.

Kev

Thanks Kevin!  I appreciate it!  I did refer to your Avia build more than once during construction of Yellow 3!

8 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Definately nailed the finish John, less is more I would say!!

Regards.Andy 

Thank you so much Andy!  Sometimes a detour brings you to the right destination.  I'm glad that the paint scheme resolved itself the way it did.  I got results that I hadn't intended when I started and learned another technique to replicate wear and tear.

20 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Yes!  I also added a representation of grey putty around the panel lines because that was observed on Yellow 3.  Chipping around the wing roots was done with hairspray.

Nice!  I'm totally digging it.  Thanks for the showing us how you did that...

Bryan