Rapid Black Basing... using a Scotch Brite

On 3/29/2019 at 2:42 AM, Colin said:

Do you have to up the air pressure when sraying to force the paint through the pad.

Will definitely give it a go as like you say the normal way seems to take for ever and my hand starts to get painful

Colin, I just spray through the pad with the pressure set to around 20psi. You could give it a go though. I guess the main factor is how much you have pulled at the Scotch Brite.

I was going to do this then I realized my lap was covered with tiny green flecks of scotch pad.  No way I was going to blow that into my paint.  How do your avoid that?

Gaz

9 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I was going to do this then I realized my lap was covered with tiny green flecks of scotch pad.  No way I was going to blow that into my paint.  How do your avoid that?

Gaz

Gaz,

I washed mine in the sink with soap and water.  Then made a few passes with compressed air at about 25 PSI.  No problems yet.  I have tried both the Scotch Brite Industrial pad (larger holes) and the Heavy Duty.  I also used scissors to "shave" off and thin the pad as to get the right thickness for this technique.  What I have come up with appears to be madness but is working wonderfully. 

Edited by SapperSix

14 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Gaz

I didn't do anything except give mine a good shake and a high pressure blast with the airbrush.

10 hours ago, dashotgun said:

hmm that looks like a workable idea25207-1024-3ww-l.jpg

Yep, that was my thinking.

I've seen some stuff on tinterweb where these are used for weathering/post shading but I don't see why they can't be used for black basing.

More expensive than ScotchBrite, of course!

Edited by DonH

• 4 years later...
On 4/17/2019 at 2:54 PM, dashotgun said:

hmm that looks like a workable idea25207-1024-3ww-l.jpg

I Have couple of these, work great for weathering and post shading, buti think the scorchbrite is more efficient because it contour with the model.

I have the metal and paper version and unless the surface is flat uta a PITA to use. 

Also price wise, scotchbrite is unbeatable and dont have to fight to clean it. 

Thanks for the rip im definately gona use this. 

I have some super corse brown ones for sanding wood that will do great as they are very porous

Edited by Neo

• 2 months later...
On 5/29/2023 at 7:21 PM, Bstarr3 said:

Honestly, I’ve tried this a number of times but can never thin the scotch brite pad down enough without tearing it into little bits. 

You know those slicers at the grocery story to thinly slice the deli meat?  Perhaps we can try that with scotchbrite?  They won't mind eh?

15 hours ago, ulvdemon said:

I know this is an old thread, but if I am reading this correctly, people are using scissors or blades to thin down the scotch-brite pads?

I can't speak for everyone, but I tear it and it's not easy.