Rapid Black Basing... using a Scotch Brite

6 hours ago, nmayhew said:

I do agree - I will definitely be giving this a whirl, if only for the fact it seems way easier than fiddling around trying to do a random squiggle myself!

Agreed, I think this will not only be easier, but create more widely varied looking panels than I would naturally do myself. 

Im about to start painting my Do-335 in the multi-engined GB, and will report back. I have already torn up the Scotch brite pads (harder than it seemed), and am ready to press forward. 

Some questions:

does the wire wool stuff just rest on the model surface whilst you spray?

Doesn't it blow around once you start spraying?

Any movement of the ‘mask’ would cause a dragging / scratching of the paint and ruin the effect...

so so how do get around that, and how do do upright surfaces?

Doesnt work well without the "black". I tried "gray basing" using this, and I really didnt have enough paint either. I needs the black, and not light colors like I was using, a light blue over gray.

I think I will try it again with the black base, as I think it will work well that way.

7 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Some questions:

does the wire wool stuff just rest on the model surface whilst you spray?

Doesn't it blow around once you start spraying?

Any movement of the ‘mask’ would cause a dragging / scratching of the paint and ruin the effect...

so so how do get around that, and how do do upright surfaces?

I just hold the Scotch Brite lightly against the model's surface. No issues with it moving whilst spraying. I lift it and reposition the Scotch Brite as I go, so no issues with scratching

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Doesnt work well without the "black". I tried "gray basing" using this, and I really didnt have enough paint either. I needs the black, and not light colors like I was using, a light blue over gray.

I think I will try it again with the black base, as I think it will work well that way.

Thanks for sharing your observation. I've only tried it over black so far. I'm looking forward to trying it over topcoats instead of using salt.

48 minutes ago, KitmodellerNZ said:

Thanks for sharing your observation. I've only tried it over black so far. I'm looking forward to trying it over topcoats instead of using salt.

I agree, I think with a similar but darker/lighter, the subtle look will do well, without the effort and mess of the salt treatment.

AAMOF, I may try this on the top RLM 79 on my build, and mix a bit of white in to fade things out a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have to up the air pressure when sraying to force the paint through the pad.

Will definitely give it a go as like you say the normal way seems to take for ever and my hand starts to get painful