F-4 Lightning 1/32 Trumpeter

Holdfast

This is my first aircraft model in 20 years, and have jumped in boots n all on this one. I seen images of the early F-4's, photo recon version of the P-38, painted in the Haze paint schemes, and just wanted to do one. I am doing one of the RAAF F-4s loaned to 75 Sqn RAAF in 1943. the Haze paint schemes did not weather very well an after a short time the paint faded and weathered very quickly making for a great weathering subject. I am using the Trumpeter 1/32 P-38, and got a resign kit which converts it back to an early F-4 version, with a new nose, engine nacelles, new boom radiators and various other smaller bits. I am sure chopping this model up to fit the resign parts is not going to be a straight forward job.

IMG_6066_zps8oeh9gce.jpg

44-04_zps86blphiq.jpg

41-2220-5_zpsfrpkcafl.jpg

Edited by Holdfast
INCORRECT

Some progress shots, unfortunately I dont get a lot of time to work on this, a few hours a week, so it going to take a while.

Started on the cockpit, using the Eduard PE upgrades. Overall impression of the kit so far is that fit of parts is a bit average. So  a lot of filling to come i assume.

The big modifications is the removal of the engine nacelles and the chopping out of the boom radiators and replacing them with the resign parts. They fit ok but in places they dont line up the the fuselage so a lot of filling is required. I can do with putty no problem, but when i go to re-scribe panel lines and rivets, putty dosnt hold up very well to it, so im thinking i may have to fill in with layers of sheet plastic? will see.

i build models so i can paint them to try and achieve as realistic as possible, the painting and weathering is my thing, but unfortunately i must build the model first. 

52698789_10213257029997147_2353127317787

52849482_10213257029597137_8489952074086

6054AA5F-2005-4C7F-BEB3-D93200E4F82D_zps

8DCBEC2B-57FC-4B70-AC5E-996A3F940674_zps

hi 

very interesting subject , this Haze paint scheme is particular , and a bit " tricky" ( MHO ) but the challenge worth is it .. if it's not too late , , and if I am right , as the P 4 was based on the early version , the IP had a different shape , as well the ..." steering wheel ", wind screen  etc....

if you are interested , here is how I fixed the radiators fit 

Alain

4210.jpg

Edited by alain11

i used the Grey Matter kit, unfortunately fit is not perfect, and in areas filling is required.

12 hours ago, alain11 said:

hi 

very interesting subject , this Haze paint scheme is particular , and a bit " tricky" ( MHO ) but the challenge worth is it .. if it's not too late , , and if I am right , as the P 4 was based on the early version , the IP had a different shape , as well the ..." steering wheel ", wind screen  etc....

if you are interested , here is how I fixed the radiators fit 

Alain

yep the cockpit details do vary on the early models, im not really a rivet counter, so am not to concerned if some smaller parts in there are incorrect, especially in the cockpit where is a bit hard to see once closed up, if overall the aircraft looks correct im happy.

grey%20matter_zpsppvpojpx.png

IMG_6373_zpshkd2rs5a.jpg

IMG_6374_zpsyat6trez.jpg

I love the painting of models and getting as realistic as possible the finish. Weathering for me is a must and i always look for subjects with plenty of it, that's why as soon as i seen these Haze Lightnings i just had to do one. I have been gathering as much as i can get as examples, even though the colour will be a bit subjective, i think this will make a really good looking model. Lots of different weathering techniques will be involved. 

41-2217_zps0s6zrygf.jpg

6154728bce337fef7ae319ad3c2bbeaf_zps7pph

l41-2156_zpszqzsfty1.gif

41-2123-02_zpshs6uy0q7.jpg

44-05_zpsjxwuucdo.jpg

4115853_zpsisrugloj.jpg