Large Scale Rabaul Zero

15 hours ago, John1 said:

So could I build this variant from the Tamiya kit?  I guess I really need to read up on Zero’s.   

I think you can.. The best way (in my opinion) is to use A6M5 kit and to purchase separate sprues with A6M2 wings (wing tips removed).

You need to do some  research for details, but in general  the conversion is quite easy.

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Not so simple as the cowling is different from both types. You have to mix the parts of both kits but to scratchbuild and modify some as well. This is possible but not only a matter of mixing and matching parts. 

Yes, those are the small details :)

Our own LSP member, Thomas Lund did an amazing build up of the iconic A6M3 in 1:32 using the Tamiya kit.   If I recall correctly, the A6M2 kit already comes with the wing budges used on the A6M3 wing.  An amazing build and one of my favorites for WWII Japanese builds.     

Regards,

Troy 

HI Guys and thanks for remembering my build

John1

Unfortunately the pictures in the build article got lost in the great photobucket purge some years ago, but I will take a look to see if I can find them on my harddrive somewhere. Shoot me off a PM. I'm traveling right now so it may take a couple of days though

So in doing some research (I'm a novice on this subject), I purchased the Combat Colours magazine dedicated to the colors and markings of the Zero.   I wasn't aware that the Model 21 was used in Rabaul but they have a really nice profile of just the aircraft I'd like to model:

IMG_0508

It'd be a great build with that green overspray and some really nice weathering opportunities.    However, unless I've missed something with my Google-Fu, it appears that there are pretty much nothing out there for aftermarket decals for the Tamiya kit.  Is this really the case?   

3 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Eagle Strike also did some Zeke decals. I might be able to pull some out of my stash, but you will have to wait till I get back home mid April.

Here's the Scalemates description of that Eagle Strike sheet:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eagle-strike-productions-32018-mitsubishi-zero-zen--176735

and for the earlier type:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eagle-strike-productions-32025-a6m2-zero-model-11-21--280687

Hth

Thierry