Su-25 Afghantsi Finished

Dukie99

I decided that I needed a fresh start to this GB and a diversion from the Me-410 (which I will complete before the end of the year), so I will build a Su-25 in the Soviet-Afghan war. When I restarted modeling seven years ago after a 25 year break, it is one of the first kit I bought and I have collected a ton of AM, which I will hopefully put to good use.

Box shot:

i-9kp9tqn-L.jpg

Reference materials:

i-LHnBFPZ-L.jpg

and the AM; full Aires detail set, Eduard exterior set, resin wheels, Zactomodel pylon and AA missile, Aerobonus gunpods, a choice of pitot tubes.

i-ktXq4F2-L.jpg

i-THGtZn3-L.jpg

Load out has been chosen based on the 4+ publication load-out chart: 16 FAB100 on 4 MER, 2 SPPU-22 gun pods deflected 30° down (one firing forward and the other backward), 2 B8-M1 or UB-16 Rocket pods and 2 R-60 AA missiles. The FAB100 have been specially casted for me by Harold and Mark31 has generously contributed leftover MER from his own Su-25 build.

i-JmnSXbV-L.jpg

and one motivational shot before we get started:

i-m2vh9Kj-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

Not wanting to make you wait, I will post the progress made over last week. Once I finished my F-15i Ra'am for the desert GB, I jumped right into the Su-25 and with all this AM, there is a lot of sub projects. In no particular order, I worked on the load-out, assembling Harold FAB-100.

i-sfQ9nDw-L.jpg

Delicate assembly but I think they look great and should look even better under a coat of paint.

I did some preparatory work for the resin wheel bay, yikes!

i-dQf4xt9-L.jpg

Cleaned all the resin, primed the major components for the cockpit and front bay and started preparing the inside of the fuselage halves as well as the resin components to fit

i-rcWVSDW-L.jpg

The quality of the Aires casting is simply awesome:

i-HXghDCp-L.jpg

and after some careful prepping work but nothing approaching the work required in my Me-410 project, I am happy to report that the fit of the front bay and the cockpit is excellent, the two halves of fuselage holds all this resin without any tension or gaps. There will be need for some clean-up but overall I am super happy with the fit:

i-BG6bG7q-L.jpg

i-RDbdvj2-L.jpg

i-tFcqGXW-L.jpg

i-PxQsqFG-L.jpg

Now I can go put some color on the primer.

Cheers,

David

5 hours ago, Dukie99 said:

Not wanting to make you wait, I will post the progress made over last week. Once I finished my F-15i Ra'am for the desert GB, I jumped right into the Su-25 and with all this AM, there is a lot of sub projects. In no particular order, I worked on the load-out, assembling Harold FAB-100.

i-sfQ9nDw-L.jpg

Delicate assembly but I think they look great and should look even better under a coat of paint.

I did some preparatory work for the resin wheel bay, yikes!

i-dQf4xt9-L.jpg

Cleaned all the resin, primed the major components for the cockpit and front bay and started preparing the inside of the fuselage halves as well as the resin components to fit

i-rcWVSDW-L.jpg

The quality of the Aires casting is simply awesome:

i-HXghDCp-L.jpg

and after some careful prepping work but nothing approaching the work required in my Me-410 project, I am happy to report that the fit of the front bay and the cockpit is excellent, the two halves of fuselage holds all this resin without any tension or gaps. There will be need for some clean-up but overall I am super happy with the fit:

i-BG6bG7q-L.jpg

i-RDbdvj2-L.jpg

i-tFcqGXW-L.jpg

i-PxQsqFG-L.jpg

Now I can go put some color on the primer.

Cheers,

David

Jeez! Do you have enough aftermarket stuff?

This is going to be a fun build to watch.

Thanks Guys for the encouragement. So far this is very enjoyable. Not a lot of progress to show from last week-end. I have almost finished the engines and air duct. As I will not open any panels, the fairly detailed engines provided by Trumpeter will never be seen, so I did not bother adding the details or painting the inside, just the structural bit and the one you will see, meaning the airduct, fan and exhaust. Fan and exhaust are the Aires bit: they look good and the fit is great, no complaint. The airduct has a nasty seam in the middle but fortunately due to the somewhat agricultural nature of soviet jets, on the real jet the two side of the duct are connected by a riveted joints and these joints are part of the Eduard PE set. Very fiddly to glue properly inside the duct but with thin CA, I managed. Fan is painted with Alclad Aluminum, the duct is white aluminum with a dark dirt wash. I am happy with the result

Sorry for the crappy pics, who knew taking pictures of air ducts was so complicated...

i-TFSkr7p-L.jpg

i-TcTqt4X-L.jpg

i-PRmpWGV-L.jpg

i-DPrHN2d-L.jpg

Till next time,

Cheers,

David

Small update: I just finished painting and weathering the front gear bay. I still need to add a coat of half-gloss Alclad varnish and then I can epoxy the bay in the fuselage.

i-dcxsK4S-L.jpg

Although the quality of the Aires wheelbays is great and the fit is excellent compared to some other Aires set, I feel this is a bit of an overkill, unless you want to have all the gear doors hanging down to show the details. In its normal configuration, all the gear doors will be closed except for one in each bay leaving very little to see of the bay details. I will not spend too much time on detail painting of the two main wheel bays and move on.

cheers,

David

Here are the main wheel wells painted and epoxied in the engine nacelles. The fit is really good. I need to add a coat of semi-gloss varnish and it will be time to focus on the pit again. very little of this will be seen once the gear doors are glued in place but I know its there.

i-fCwSwSt-L.jpg

i-N6znMLt-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

Kagemusha and Alain, Thank you for your kind words. I am almost finished with the pit and I am pretty happy with the result even though the macro is unforgiving. it looks better IRL

i-rdTCKnJ-L.jpg

i-wHdwtxf-L.jpg

i-jCRkXzW-L.jpg

i-fSf8KQ5-L.jpg

i-zGWmDFc-L.jpg

i-CwZz7cG-L.jpg

i-PqPBgtG-L.jpg

I need to finish the bangseat and add bits and bobs and I can then close up the fuselage.

Cheers,

David