WnW Dark Wood Paint Mix Question

Robthepom

So i'm doing the WnW felixstowe, the instructions call for XF79 Deck Brown and X19 Smoke

My question is before i go mixing and experimenting....do i mix the two colours, or do i paint the XF79 then over spray the X19???

Or is the a better way of painting the Mahogany??

r6nFpDW.jpg

I would bet they are wanting you to mix them and spray in one shot.

If you are graining with oils I would shoot a dark sand and then apply oils...if not dark enough then tint with clear paints.

Making plastic look like wood is a real experimental process.

Ryan

Strongly suggest you find a very cheap kit (any 1/72 or 1/48 B-17 kit works for this) and practice on the wings (LOTS of flat surface) and fuselage before you tackle the WNW painting.  I actually use the wings from the old Mongram B-17G kit and a built 1/48 Mustang for this exact purpose.  Helps you to perfect the technique before applying to an expensive kit.

Hope this helps and post your results!

Chris

22 hours ago, Radub said:

Lifecolor make a very useful set of "wood" colour shades, including dark wood. 

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?products_id=20693

You can use it with these stencils:

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_117

HTH,

Rasu

Just bought a set of these stencils Radu and can't wait to use them, oils are a pain.

Ryan

thanks for the great advice, i like the look of the Lifecolour paints

I tried a few things to get the look, but as usual i over complicated these things. The best effect that I am looking for was tamiya deck brown xf-79, with a black oil wash. I will probably add some slight variations on the model parts

Its hard to get good photo of the effect, but i'm happy with the result. Fortunatly WnW supplies plenty of un-used parts so i was able to practice on similar parts

9VU6sj2.jpg

7uuDn9a.jpg

you can keep your eye on my progress here

*edit .....its looks very black in the pictures but is dark brown

Edited by Robthepom

• 4 months later...

I would mix up a light wood color (Tamiya flesh works well out of the bottle but I like to mix my own colors) and spray the fuselage that color.  I would then apply artist's oils in the dark brown color of choice. 

Clear the oil paints and maybe leave it as is.  If you want to modify the color of the "dark wood" slightly beyond that point, you could either apply oil based color filters, or spray a tinted clear on it.

I like to make my own Tamiya "clear brown" which they otherwise don't offer, by mixing clear red, yellow, and blue.  You can get any tone of brown you like from warm to cold, orangey, yellowish, whatever you like.