SWMBO demands hexagons. WNW AEG G.IV Early because the wife says so

seiran01

For the first time ever, wifey has insisted I build a particular model. Don't know why this is, but who am I to complain? So here we go off the deep end with Wingnut Wings' AEG G.IV (Early). 

I had some time tonight to gloss coat the lower wings and decal the top of one.  The massive full-wing decal was cut into thirds, making it much easier to work with. Even in thirds, they're still massive and care is definitely needed. I used a hair dryer to get these to settle down with only a few drops of setting solution over three small areas. The colours of the hand-painted hexagons depicted in the decal are very nicely done and will look even better when the hexagons (excluding the black ones) are stippled with grey-green.

This ugly beauty will have two 300kg bombs slung underneath. The 300s are made by Copper State, shown below with a 100kg bomb from the kit for size comparison.

A word of caution re the decals with the AEG kits - I believe there must have been a lapse in quality control at Cartograf at the time the decal sheets for both AEG releases and the Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 were released so check over yours if you haven't yet. I've previously been sent replacements for printing problems with the lozenge decal sheets for both my late AEG and W12, and tonight I noticed that one of the four sheets of lozenge decals in this AEG is noticeably lighter in all colors than the other three sheets. See what I mean in the second photo below...  TimW has graciously offered up his lozenge decals as he won't be using them so that I can do the full airframe without mismatched colours.

Znig9ufh.jpg

xdA5uJrh.jpg?1

Mike you always surprise everyone!

Super progress on a super cool kit! Didn’t see that one coming...

the leather seat looks fab... 

looking forward to seeing the magic unfold!

by the way check your inbox ;)

Karim

Thanks guys,

Karim I’m so sorry for taking so long to get back to you, it’s been a weird week. 

Which reminds me... I really should pull out a certain e-book on a certain shark faced biplane bomber...

Shameless plug folks, if you haven’t seen Karim’s AEG ebook that Kev Futter publishes, it’s a superb book and I think it could give some great pointers to improve aircraft from any era. 

3 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

Thanks guys,

Karim I’m so sorry for taking so long to get back to you, it’s been a weird week. 

Which reminds me... I really should pull out a certain e-book on a certain shark faced biplane bomber...

Shameless plug folks, if you haven’t seen Karim’s AEG ebook that Kev Futter publishes, it’s a superb book and I think it could give some great pointers to improve aircraft from any era. 

Buddy you’re too kind!

im glad the book is of practical use. 

Hope things are okay and get ironed out with the weekend here!

looking forward to more prog

K

I was able to get a solid afternoon of work in on the AEG today. Lots of little bits of cleanup, more detail painting, and adding the interior decals. Have opted to leave the internal vertical bomb racks unloaded. Now those forward hand-drop bomb racks on the other hand... not technically accurate for this early-mid production version of the plane but I just love how they look and will load those up bombs.  

rvf3M5T.jpg

And the the reason I only got the afternoon to work on the AEG? I managed to make a “small” mess this morning while cleaning up after printing the Colosseum in resin. At least the weather was above freezing and I could open the basement window to help vent the fumes, LOL. 

xOmLerV.jpg

First up...awesome work mate.  Your builds just get better and better (if that's even possible) and I am envious of your painting skills!

Second, I hope you are going to print some little Gladiators to put in the middle of the Colosseum?  Oh and a lion or 2.  Are you going to post shade or pre shade?  How many people will you make?

LOL, keep up the great work on the G.IV

Cheers Anthony

Thanks guys!

Who has a task in building that they enjoy the least? For me it’s seat belts. They come out looking decent in the end but I’d rather be doing pretty much any other part of the build. So I’m glad 3 of the 4 sets are done!

Kit PE belts were used as I didn’t have an extra HGW set on hand, the PE bits are definitely passable once painted up.

Interior “shell” is all glued together save for some detail parts and is dry fit in place. 

7ccF5ib.jpg

3ACu583.jpg

WiZAtoO.jpg