1/32 Tamiya P-51D Mustang "Missouri Armada"

• 3 years later...
I built "Missouri Armada" 3 years ago, last June I went to Prague, with the help of a local aviation researcher friend we visited the crash site, it is a well known crash site and there is even a memorial plaque, I found this a very respectful tribute from the Czech people as there are many memorial plaques all over the country honoring the fellow American pilots who fought and fell in this territory, this site has been searched many times before, little is left nowadays, mostly tiny molten aluminum pieces, after some walk in the area with metal detector some small fragments started to show up, the camera gun opening was found, it also has a small remain paint from the green camo, later a 50 cal. cartridge emerged, and what appears to be the battery cover side at the rear of the cockpit, here are in display on the bench with the model I built. this was a very cool  experience I wanted to share with you guys, hope you like it, cheers
Have to thank foundly to Pavel for his help and kindness, please check his amazing website: http://www.leteckabadatelna.cz/havarie-a.../detail/26/...

IMG-20220611-164413.jpg

286234957-441492243979601-84792406244376

Screenshot-4794.png

Screenshot-4793.png

Screenshot-4795.png

299641298-1021629775184015-4190585529960

299803848-607596804092679-85969433929818

misouriarmada.jpg

Quite an achievement @Antonio Argudo :bow: especially when I recall your interventions in Olivier’s epic build of the 1/48 version on Britmodeller some 5 years ago. You obviously know a great deal about the P-51D and this plane in particular and no doubt have incorporated every detail on this model.

What I don’t understand is how did you manage to miss an important issue like the original MISSOURI ARMADA script.
Just check the M’s on the original photo and see what I mean.

D346697-A-F1-D4-4-EC0-97-D0-D1-CF4-E7-C8

Rest assured, you’re not the only one who made the mistake. Every build I saw on the internet missed it. :P
Cheers,

Quang

3 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

Hi John, I can understand what you say, in this one the pilot had bail out successfully so it is not a grave crash site.

cheers

Oh, that is a bit different, I misunderstood and thought the pilot went in with the aircraft.    

Thanks Quang for your reply, yes, on Olivier's build I got  the "Missouri" bug B)

you are right, I missed that mistake in the Eaglecals, actually the lettering is slightly oversized too, the Letter codes in the fuselage the G and E need to have a middle cut (don't know this term) I painted that line, and the checker nose does not match the original...   at that point only wanted to finish the model and had to discard fixing those details, I am thinking about doing a more refined version and also on her legs :wub: but not sure if I can with all those unfinished projects I have piling up 

I built  also "Sad Sack"  which was the later  nose art this aircraft had after it passed to Lt. Ridley who bailed out from this plane,  I used the 1/48 Eduard kit and Bullseye decals, it was built for my Czech friend  who took me there.

Screenshot-4798.png

Wow! What a fantastic build! 

Where do I start?  Your cockpit details are breathtaking and super job on the pilot. I love the look of the dark green and the subtle shading. Your photos with the blurred background are inspirational. 

Great job and congratulations. What a stunner.