1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

On 6/28/2022 at 2:57 PM, Thunnus said:

The color I used for the ZC areas was Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green, straight out of the bottle.

Whoa!  I have that stuff.  What did you thin it with, and what dilution, if you recall?

On 6/28/2022 at 1:10 PM, Pastor John said:

Wow with a capital W

Thank you so much, John!

42 minutes ago, JayW said:

Whoa!  I have that stuff.  What did you thin it with, and what dilution, if you recall?

Always nice to find you already have the paint you thought you needed. Lots of thinners work with Tamiya acrylics. 90% isopropyl alcohol, Tamiya lacquer thinner and Mr Leveling Thinner have all been used with similar results. I use mixes between 1:1 or 2:1 thinner to paint ratios.

Amazing,  absolutely one of the best builds I have seen in all my years.  I learned much from your techniques.  I also learned about the plane.  The salt technique and chipping was is perfect to my eye. Beautifully done.  I will be using your build as the master to my future Corsair builds.  Thanks for taking the time to put it to digits. 

20 hours ago, SapperSix said:

Amazing,  absolutely one of the best builds I have seen in all my years.  I learned much from your techniques.  I also learned about the plane.  The salt technique and chipping was is perfect to my eye. Beautifully done.  I will be using your build as the master to my future Corsair builds.  Thanks for taking the time to put it to digits. 

Thank you so much for those kind words!  Appreciate the feedback!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JayW said:

Hey John - did you mix anything with the white paint you used for the stars and bars, and the airplane numbers on the side of the fuselage?

MRP do a nice colour called insignia white - its a sort of light ivory and worked great on my P51

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2022 at 7:53 PM, Irishman1 said:

Just been perusing this build…. One of the best models I’ve seen. Museum quality build. I’m floored!!

Thank you very much!  I appreciate the positive comments very much!

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to bring this one back from the dead to say what an inspirational and educational build this was.  I've got it bookmarked as a reference for my own F4U-1 that I've just gotten started.  Really enjoy your builds, John!

1 hour ago, Bstarr3 said:

Just wanted to bring this one back from the dead to say what an inspirational and educational build this was.  I've got it bookmarked as a reference for my own F4U-1 that I've just gotten started.  Really enjoy your builds, John!

Thank you Brian!  I appreciate your comments on this build!  Looking back on it myself, I must say that this is one of the better examples of the salt fading technique coming out well.