1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

On 4/4/2019 at 8:50 AM, Thunnus said:

The gear reduction housing has been painted...….

IMG-5046.jpg

Working on the engine now for mine....and I wanted to ask what color you sprayed the housing with? This doesn't look like the Tamiya call out for XF-66, but I like it more.....

Sorry for dragging up something from the beginning.....!

Thanks for the comments guys!  It's always fun to get to this point and see how the layers of weathering start adding up.  I think I still need to do a bit more chipping and weathering, especially on the undersides.  Small spots of crusted salt are beginning to appear here and there and I have be vigilant to eradicate those.

2 hours ago, Brett M said:

Working on the engine now for mine....and I wanted to ask what color you sprayed the housing with? This doesn't look like the Tamiya call out for XF-66, but I like it more.....

Sorry for dragging up something from the beginning.....!

Brett... I based my color choices on this photo, which can also be found in Dana Bell's book.

PW-R-2800.jpg

A dark grey on the gear reduction housing seemed to correspond to the photos of 740...

w2-vmf214-squadron-officers.jpg

I believe I used Tamiya German Grey XF-63.  And be careful not to put the P&W logo decal upside down as I've done in the photo you've referenced! :D

47 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks for the comments guys!  It's always fun to get to this point and see how the layers of weathering start adding up.  I think I still need to do a bit more chipping and weathering, especially on the undersides.  Small spots of crusted salt are beginning to appear here and there and I have be vigilant to eradicate those.

Brett... I based my color choices on this photo, which can also be found in Dana Bell's book.

A dark grey on the gear reduction housing seemed to correspond to the photos of 740...

I believe I used Tamiya German Grey XF-63.  And be careful not to put the P&W logo decal upside down as I've done in the photo you've referenced! :D

Thanks! That must be in the second Corsair book, which I don't have. Good reference :)

No upside down decals, I hope lol

11 hours ago, Thunnus said:

PW-R-2800.jpg

I believe I used Tamiya German Grey XF-63. 

Hi John

The A-N color of the gear housing is Engine Gray(gloss), however, a slightly cooler version is available as Mr. Color No. 339 Engine Gray FS16081.

HTH,

D.B.

Thanks for checking guys!  I really appreciate the comments!

The bottom has been dirtied up just a little bit more.
IMG-6886.jpg

I lost the clear light lens for the top of the fuselage.  Took a couple of days to look for it but it didn't turn up.  So I used clear UV epoxy and it turned pretty well.  I was even able to replicate the tear-drop shape.
IMG-6885.jpg

Some details were added to the sliding canopy including the three rear-view mirrors.
IMG-6887.jpg

The tail wheel and doors have been glued into place.
IMG-6891.jpg
IMG-6893.jpg

Quick set epoxy was used to attach the wheels, making sure that the flattened spots on the tires are correctly oriented.
IMG-6895.jpg

This is turning out to be one of the finest Corsair builds I've seen!

3 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

The last weathering expert I saw that was in this league was Mal Belford, and you would give him a run for his money. I miss Mal. Anyone know where he is?

No idea. He hasn't piped up here for the longest time, and he hasn't posted on Facebook since early last year. He's also a musician, and is heavily involved in an AC/DC tribute band, so presumably he's just busy with that.

Kev

Thanks guys! Your comments are always appreciated!

The epoxy on the wheels has cured so I attached the landing gear doors.
IMG-6903.jpg
IMG-6904.jpg
IMG-6905.jpg

A quick look up top with the prop in place and you can see that 740 is close to being done. But I'm hesitating on adding the fragile aerial array since that will signal the end of being able to work on the bottom.
IMG-6906.jpg