1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

On 1/2/2020 at 12:46 AM, Thunnus said:

A few hours later, I started working a wet brush over the ZC and it started coming off in large bunches.  I immediately stopped and decided to let the ZC paint dry even further but when I got back to it, I had the same results.  The water was acting like paint thinner and taking way too much of the Zinc Chromate.  So much so that I was able to completely remove it with water with the Tamiya AS-12 completely intact.

You used too much hair spray. Hair spray dissolves in water and then breaks the bond between the layers. If the hair spray is thick you wind up with what you're experiencing. You might want to do some experiments using different amounts of HS to see what works best.

7 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

You used too much hair spray. Hair spray dissolves in water and then breaks the bond between the layers. If the hair spray is thick you wind up with what you're experiencing. You might want to do some experiments using different amounts of HS to see what works best.

Yes, I think you are right.  I layed it on pretty thick the first time.  For the next go around, I didn't let the hairspray pool... just misted it on and I got better results.  I'll post an update as soon as I can get this thing called work out of the way! :)

Base layer of chipping has been established.  Not exactly the result I was envisioning but it will suffice.  Hairspray chipping can cause surface irregularities between the two layers.  I scrubbed the area with dry Micromesh and then sealed it with a coat of Aqua Gloss.
IMG-6558.jpg
IMG-6560.jpg

After the clear had dried, I sprayed another coat of hairspray.  And then I pre-shaded the panel lines.
IMG-6565.jpg
IMG-6566.jpg
IMG-6567.jpg

To establish a bit of tonal variation, I used a piece of brillo pad and some splatter templates to create a random mottle all over the model.
IMG-6568.jpg
IMG-6569.jpg
IMG-6570.jpg

The bottom was painted with AK Real Colors Insignia White.  I've decided to reduce the pre-shade effect a little bit more than normal to establish the off-color of the white.  It's still there but it is VERY subtle and is hard to capture in photos.
IMG-6571.jpg
IMG-6572.jpg

7 hours ago, Brett M said:

Looking very good to me. Do you airbrush the hairspray? And, any particular brand?

Thanks! Aerosol hairspray decanted into the airbrush.  I don't know what brand... I just commandeered one from my wife's side of the bathroom. B)

The painting continues... AK Real Colors Intermediate Blue is sprayed next.
IMG-6576.jpg
IMG-6574.jpg
IMG-6575.jpg

The Dark Blue is next and I'm using my pre-mixed lightened AK Real Colors Sea Blue as a base and mixing lighter shades on the fly to try and reflect what I'm seeing in the archive photos of 740 and other VMF Corsairs.  The engine cowl and fuselage spine receive the lightest shade while the fuselage sides are the darkest.
IMG-6577.jpg
IMG-6578.jpg

Because the hairspray is under a couple coats of paint, I wanted to do the chipping soon after the Sea Blue was applied on top of the wings.  It took some patience, working a wet paint brush over and over on small areas but I was able to get an acceptable result.
IMG-6584.jpg
IMG-6585.jpg

The transitions between the various shades of Dark Blue is a bit stark so I'll be doing some blending work.  The Montex stars and bars mask looks like it slightly expanded so I'm going to cut new masks with the Silhouette cutter.

Thanks for the comments!

7 hours ago, zaxos345 said:

Lovely work John!! Do you spray freehand?? What airbrush? Thinning ratio and psi? Just to get an idea!! B)

John

I use an Iwata HP-C Plus on this model.  I've been thinning the AK Real Colors with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner with good results.  Since I am pre-shading, I shoot very thin mixes.  My thinner/paint ratio, depending on the situation, varies from 2:1 to 4:1.  I'm usually shooting somewhere around 10-15 psi.  The camo has been sprayed freehand.

But I did employ masks to paint the insignias.  The Montex masks had expanded a bit in the package so I chose to cut new ones with the Silhouette cutter.  The blue is painted first and then the white stars and bars.
IMG-6587.jpg

First time the masks worked without having to do any touch-up work.  And no paint pulled up when removing the masks!
IMG-6588.jpg

The aircraft number was masked and painted afterwards.
IMG-6590.jpg
IMG-6591.jpg
IMG-6592.jpg

The HGW wet transfers are yet to arrive from Europe.  I still need to mask and paint the tread areas on the wings but I may have to shelve the project temporarily until the transfers get here.  In the meantime, I thought I'd slide the wings and stabs on to see how the Corsair looks so far.  Keep in mind that the fuselage has not been sealed in a gloss coat so the wings and stabs are naturally a shade darker.
IMG-6593.jpg
IMG-6594.jpg
IMG-6596.jpg