1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

Ran into some issues with the K-4 build so instead of twiddling my thumbs while paint dries, I am going to attempt some painting on the Corsair.  The port wing of 17740 is described as being a replacement from an older F4U based on having insignias on both sides of the wings.  I'm going to paint this wing in Medium Blue Grey.  

The panel lines are pre-shaded in black and then I add a random mottle using bits of brillo pad and splatter templates.  The Medium Blue Grey is AK Real Color thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner.
IMG-6326.jpg
IMG-6328.jpg

Some variation was imparted by lightening the color for the fabric sections and doubling down on the Blue Grey on random panels.
IMG-6329.jpg
IMG-6330.jpg

Into the lightbox for an alternate view.  Color rendition is more accurate in the desk shot actually.
IMG-6331.jpg
IMG-6332.jpg

Treating the port wing like a mini-project, I apply the national insignia to both sides using Montex masks.  For two-color masks, you can do the colors in a number of different orders.  I chose to do the dark blue background first and the white star last.
IMG-6334.jpg
IMG-6336.jpg

I did the top of the wing similarly and added the white bars afterwards.
IMG-6337.jpg
IMG-6338.jpg

For context, here is the wing mounted on the unpainted Corsair...
IMG-6339.jpg
IMG-6340.jpg

Another amazing build of my favorite plane, fantastic work! The paint work on the left wing is brilliant, it's inspiring me to get my -1A out of hibernation.

A suggestion, and I very well may be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain the rectangular openings on both sides of the rear fuselage didn't appear until later variants of the F4U and you may want to fill them on your -1A.

I see the real Corsair experts are commenting in this thread, they will know for certain if -1A planes had them. 

Edit: 

I dug out my copy of Dana Bell's F4U-1 Corsair Vol. 2 because this was bugging me. On page 54 there is a pic of an FG-1D with the opening. The caption below states this an intake that is part of a carbon monoxide extraction system that first appeared on FG-1D BuNo 92341 and there was a retrofit order for older planes.

F4U-1D / FG-1D variant started being built (if my reading is halfway correct) in March of 1944, 3 months after Boyington was downed. His Vought BuNo 17740 F4U-1A fighter could not have had the CO extraction system installed. 

Edited by TenSeven
Updated Info

9 hours ago, TenSeven said:

Another amazing build of my favorite plane, fantastic work! The paint work on the left wing is brilliant, it's inspiring me to get my -1A out of hibernation.

A suggestion, and I very well may be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain the rectangular openings on both sides of the rear fuselage didn't appear until later variants of the F4U and you may want to fill them on your -1A.

I see the real Corsair experts are commenting in this thread, they will know for certain if -1A planes had them. 

Edit: 

I dug out my copy of Dana Bell's F4U-1 Corsair Vol. 2 because this was bugging me. On page 54 there is a pic of an FG-1D with the opening. The caption below states this an intake that is part of a carbon monoxide extraction system that first appeared on FG-1D BuNo 92341 and there was a retrofit order for older planes.

F4U-1D / FG-1D variant started being built (if my reading is halfway correct) in March of 1944, 3 months after Boyington was downed. His Vought BuNo 17740 F4U-1A fighter could not have had the CO extraction system installed. 

Thanks TenSeven!  I also have Dana Bell's Vol. 2 and saw the comment that you are referring to.  The small rectangular opening on the fuselage sides just aft of the cockpit... I can't make it out on any photos of 740.  It should be an easy fill!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get a handle on the color scheme for my Corsair.  Using the colors straight from the bottle would give me a decent representation of a factory-fresh Corsair but it seems evident from the available photos of 740 and other VMF-214 aircraft that the harsh conditions imposed on these island-based aircraft was very unforgiving and altered the original colors significantly.  I came across this nice color photo showing a lineup of island-based Corsairs (VMF-222, I believe).  They look to be a mix of F4U-1 "birdcage" Corsairs and F4U-1a's.
F4-U-1-color.jpg

Resolution is surprisingly high on this copy and I'm able to zoom in without losing too much detail. The bird in the foreground is definitely a birdcage but it appears to sporting a 4-color camo scheme similar to my 740.
F4-U-1-color-A.jpg

Looking down toward the far end of the line-up, we see something very interesting.  At the end of the row, there appears to be a Corsair in a very pristine 4-color scheme.  The contrast between this aircraft and the others is stark and the contrast gives me a good clue into how the 4-color scheme could wear down in time.  The aircraft directly in front of the new Corsair appears to be sporting a 2-color scheme but the one in front of that one looks like a faded 4-color scheme.  My plan is to use this photo to help establish lighter, faded versions of the Dark Blue and Intermediate Blue.
F4-U-1-color-B.jpg