1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

Thanks guys!

I've sprayed a base coat of zinc chromate into the wheel wells and landing gear covers.  These will be given a coat of hairspray before the final color (Insignia White) is applied.
IMG-5568.jpg
IMG-5571.jpg
IMG-5572.jpg
IMG-5573.jpg
IMG-5574.jpg
IMG-5576.jpg

My digital camera is acting up.  Exposure is wonky and I have to manually set it at +2 or -3 stops to get it from exposing too dark or too bright.  And it won't focus like it used to.  Definitely something wrong and it just started happening yesterday.  I've since given the camera a few hard resets and even updated the firmware but no improvements.  I can still get photos out of it but it takes me a lot longer due to the issues.  It's a Canon S100 that replaced a Canon S95.  I'm monitoring EBay for a used Canon S110 right now.

Chipping was HARD! I used the MIG Scratches Effect and I found the AK Real Color Insignia White very stubborn and resistant to chipping.  I used the fiberglass brush and also the toothpick.
IMG-5592.jpg

After I chipped the wheel wells, I gave it a gloss coat and applied a dark brown wash.  Here's what the wheel wells look like so far with that initial phase of weathering done.  It's still gloss so a flat coat and probably some more staining still to come.
IMG-5610.jpg
IMG-5611.jpg
IMG-5612.jpg
IMG-5613.jpg

Guest Vincent

Hi

This might be because AK real color aren't true acrylic paints and water can't easily reach the hairspray

I haven't tried it yet on my Spit but will let you guys know if the same happens to me

;)

Vincent

6 hours ago, Vincent/MDC said:

Hi

This might be because AK real color aren't true acrylic paints and water can't easily reach the hairspray

I haven't tried it yet on my Spit but will let you guys know if the same happens to me

;)

Vincent

Perhaps!  Aren't Tamiya and Mr Hobby Aqueous similar in composition, being acrylic lacquers?  In other respects, the AK Real Color paints have been behaving very similar to Tamiya and Mr Hobby Aqueous.  Please let us know how the chipping goes on your beautiful Spitfire build.

4 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Man, you're killing' it...... beautiful craftsmanship. Back in the 80s I built a tribute model for a Corsair pilot using the old Revel kit and I can't wait to do it again with the Tamiya kit! 

Thank you!  You'll have a blast building the Tamiya kit... it really is a modeling marvel.

Thanks for the positive comments!  They really challenge me to not only move forward on these builds but inspire me to try and do better.

I've finally gotten to the point where I could install the wires to the landing gear door actuators from the central hydraulic junction.  To make this manageable, I cut the actuating struts from the doors and installed them first.  I didn't think I could've managed the wiring with the doors in the way.  I think this was a good decision as wiring was fiddly enough with the landing gear wells still separate from the wing bottom.
IMG-5618.jpg
IMG-5619.jpg

The wheels wells have been given a flat coat and I've added some sponge chipping and enamel washes to add some color.
IMG-5620.jpg
IMG-5621.jpg
IMG-5622.jpg

The main wheel wells were the last of the four major interior components that needed to be completed (cockpit, engine and tail wheel well being the others). I think the build will move a little faster now.

17 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks for the positive comments!  They really challenge me to not only move forward on these builds but inspire me to try and do better.

I've finally gotten to the point where I could install the wires to the landing gear door actuators from the central hydraulic junction.  To make this manageable, I cut the actuating struts from the doors and installed them first.  I didn't think I could've managed the wiring with the doors in the way.  I think this was a good decision as wiring was fiddly enough with the landing gear wells still separate from the wing bottom.
IMG-5618.jpg
IMG-5619.jpg

The wheels wells have been given a flat coat and I've added some sponge chipping and enamel washes to add some color.
IMG-5620.jpg
IMG-5621.jpg
IMG-5622.jpg

The main wheel wells were the last of the four major interior components that needed to be completed (cockpit, engine and tail wheel well being the others). I think the build will move a little faster now.

John,

Been busy working so haven't really had a chance to check out your 17740 build. She's looking Great!

Hope I'm not to late on this little bit of info for your build, but the 2 "thumbnail" shaped items on the inner most walls of the wheelbays are zippered, canvas inspection covers and not a metal that would chip.

Also in the center of the rear most wall is a wooden wedge shaped block which is to aid in stopping the rotation of the tire in the wheel bay and it would probly have rub marks towards center as the tire rubbed it before the rotation stoped. GREAT WORK STILL!!!

My apologies for being tardy again!!

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57