1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

Great work all Around John!

I'm not sure on the outer wheel hubs color. I've read over the years anything from Lt. Grey or just a Grey, Silver Laquer, White, Black in no particular order. I think they may be Grey left overs or Black as I seem to recall Goodyear Corsairs with the Black finish on them?!

On some Hellcat color pics I've seen time and again, there's Intermediate Blue but these are specific to some early VF-5 Hellcats on board CV-10 U.S.S. Yorktown early in '43 while being redied for SWP action during her shakedown.

Great examples of non standard Counter Shading/ 4 tone/ 3 tone schemes application on all aircraft aboard her at the time. Not just the Hellcats either as the "scheme" was becoming standard during this time. Great color studies during the change from Blue Grey over Lt. Grey to early Counter Shading and Markings changes throughout their deployment! Sorry, a bit of a rant!

Who's to say, we need a time machine.. BAD! LOL

She'll look Great Still and I like your finished set!

Now the gun breeches. IIRC, The .50's are staggered at 6", 12", 18" from Wing LE starting from inboard to out. Inside of a blast tube wich is the same ID(Inner Diameter) as the opening on the LE.

Hth, my apologies to be late to the party but at least I showed up! LOL

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57
Forgot to add something, I'm an idiot

Thanks guys!  All comments are appreciated!  I know the blue hubs can't be verified but I've given my reasons for the color choice.

I didn't get to do much work on the Corsair today.  Still thinking about how to do the wheel wells.  I drilled out a couple of holes in the wheel well sidewalls but that's about it.
IMG-5303.jpg
IMG-5304.jpg

Does anyone know... the wheel wells were probably painted in the bottom color, which is Insignia White.  What is the color underneath that.  Were the wheel wells coated with zinc chromate primer BEFORE the white?  Or was the white applied over bare metal?  I want to do a little chipping so I wanted to know what my base color should be.

On 4/27/2019 at 9:18 PM, D.B. Andrus said:

John

Yellow zinc chromate under white would be the way to go, depending if it was a factory job or field repaint from Blue Gray/Light Gray. The Navy was/is big on corrosion control.

The work looks great.

D.B.

Thanks Damian!  I'll keep that in mind when it comes to painting the wells.

I've glued the outer wings together and installed the lenses for the various lights on the wing.  These will be masked off.
IMG-5330.jpg
IMG-5331.jpg

Guest Vincent
On 4/27/2019 at 7:51 PM, nmayhew said:

Ha ha classic!!

:clap2:

Though the picture would seem to indicate no... 

Have you been near the muzzle of a 50 cal ?

I have and the blast would blow the wing skin off if it wasn't directed outward

Guest Vincent

By the way, blast tubes can be either part of the aircraft or attached to the gun and taken out with them. What matters is that the tube emerges as close as possible to the wing leading edge. There were typically made of stainless steel as the ammunition of the era used mercury primers that would get steel to corrode extremely fast

I'm still stuck on the center wing assembly including the wheel wells.  I DID find out that the closed landing gear doors will make perfect masks for the wheel wells when it comes time to paint.  Amazing fit on those!
IMG-5338.jpg

A couple of views of the area that I'm stalled on.  I've fit the landing gear doors into place.  
IMG-5340.jpg
IMG-5342.jpg

There is wiring to be added, of which some I want to connect to those door actuating rods that you see.  I normally like to attaching any wiring before painting.  But the wheel wells would be much easier to paint and weather before assembly.  I can't install the wiring before the wheel wells are assembled.  So these thoughts keep rotating in my head, over and over again.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:15 AM, D.B. Andrus said:

It's a dilemma, all right. Watching attentively to see what solution you come up with.

Hopefully soon!

On 5/1/2019 at 6:03 PM, aircare84 said:

John,

I added the hydraulic plumbing after I assembled the wheel wells on mine. Drilled out the fittings on the manifold & actuators before assembling, then fitted the piping. Then paint & weathering.

Larry

Yes, that is most likely the route that I'll be headed but maybe with a few variations.  I'm thinking about cutting the actuators from the doors to make the wire work easier.  Beautiful Corsair build that you did BTW!  Another reference that I've been looking at.  Can you believe that I stumbled onto the US parachute at The Modeling News BEFORE seeing your build?  No, really!

Although it is out of order from the kit instructions, I've been working on the outer wings and avoiding work on the inner wings.  The wing tips have been glued into place as well as the clear lenses for all of the lights.  I used Montex masks and Tamiya tape to mask the clear parts.
IMG-5365.jpg
IMG-5367.jpg

This is why you have to be careful with Montex masks...
IMG-5369.jpg
IMG-5370.jpg

After applying the masks, a couple of the Montex masks on curved surfaces lifted overnight.  This isn't the first time I've experienced this with the black vinyl masks that Montex uses for clear parts.  They work fine on flat surfaces but have a tendency to lift on curved parts.  So buyer beware.  I used the Montex masks to cut my own from more reliable Tamiya tape.
IMG-5371.jpg
IMG-5372.jpg

I've painted the interiors of the wing joint even though this build won't have folded wings.  Different colors since 740 had what appears to be a replacement wing from an older Corsair.  So one is Intermediate Blue and the other is Blue Grey.
IMG-5366.jpg

On 4/17/2019 at 2:25 AM, Gazzas said:

I know I don't know copyright law...  but it seems silly to me that a company could be sued for making models of somebody's gear.

It's not the part, it's the use of their trademarked logo. They could just give permission without compensation based on free advertising, but lawyers.

And god knows Goodyear needs every penny they can squeeze out of model builders. :(

The Corsair build is not dead!  I'm switching gears after working on the K-4 cockpit and back on the Corsair.

I finally glued the wheel wells into place but with a twist.  I glued the individual walls to each other but not to the wing.
IMG-5420.jpg

Right now, the center spar and wheel wells are removable.
IMG-5427.jpg

I thought it might be easier to work on the wheel wells without the slight overhang from the wing bottom.
IMG-5428.jpg