1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

1 hour ago, D.B. Andrus said:

After looking at many Corsair photos, I'm not sure Tamiya was completely mistaken after all. About 50% of the shots with visible landing gear showing the pertinent area had almost fully compressed oleos and the other half didn't. Maybe it has to do with how smooth the runway surface is. Maybe Dana Bell could answer this.

D.B.

Good to know, Damian!  I'm not sweating it either way.  I consider my legs finished!

I did some prep work on the outer wings.  Holes need to be drilled out to accept light housings.  Tamiya makes it as easy as possible by telling you how big the hole needs to be in millimeters and then providing a seat for the drill bit to help center the hole.
IMG-5237.jpg

I like to use a drill bit a tiny bit smaller than the actual hole and then enlarge it slowly to prevent making too big a hole.
IMG-5238.jpg

Here are the light enclosures in place.
IMG-5239.jpg

Before they are installed, they are painted using Alclad Chrome.
IMG-5241.jpg

Here are the outer wings with some of the internal structure in place.  The Tamiya instructions warn you NOT to glue in the big t-shaped spars.  They should simply be trapped into place when you glue the upper and lower halves together.
IMG-5240.jpg

Hi John,

Brilliant work so far. Definitely inspiring! As far as the outer wheel hubs are concerned, from what I've read, and from what you've done, I believe you got it right. I've read a lot of these Corsairs had the outer hubs painted Intermediate Blue. I'm doing Boyington's 883 and the pics sure look like the hubs are Blue.

Cheers,

Wolf

9 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Hi John,

Brilliant work so far. Definitely inspiring! As far as the outer wheel hubs are concerned, from what I've read, and from what you've done, I believe you got it right. I've read a lot of these Corsairs had the outer hubs painted Intermediate Blue. I'm doing Boyington's 883 and the pics sure look like the hubs are Blue.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you so much Wolf!   I really appreciate the input!  I'm not 100% happy with my hubs and may try Intermediate Blue to see how that looks.  Really look forward to you continuing work on your amazing F4U, which has served as an inspiration/reference for my build.  

A little more work on the outer wings to report.  If you look at the ammo chutes on the kit, you'd notice that the wing guns might be staggered.  Photos confirm this.8722fd9cbe5e4ef93437844cf76d1804.jpg

So instead of placing my gun barrels straight across like I had originally shown, I've staggered them.
IMG-5244.jpg

It's not dimensionally accurate but I wanted to give the visual impression of the staggered guns.  Practically speaking, you'll be able to see the barrels that are closest to the fuselage but the others will be hidden in the shadows.
IMG-5243.jpg
IMG-5242.jpg

Guest Vincent
47 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Great thread.

not familiar with the Corsair so this is all new for me

re the guns, did they employ ‘blast tubes’ like in the P-47? 

Just something to consider.

of course they did, otherwise you'd blow the wing skin off

2 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Great thread.

not familiar with the Corsair so this is all new for me

re the guns, did they employ ‘blast tubes’ like in the P-47? 

Just something to consider.

Thank you!  The Corsair is a new one for me too so I'm learning as I'm going!

1 hour ago, Vincent/MDC said:

of course they did, otherwise you'd blow the wing skin off

So there is the answer to the blast tube question!  

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

John, this build is top notch. Highly detailed work, great research, fabulous presentation and photography. Absolute "Bible Build" for everyone who is into Corsairs. Your skillful approach is highly motivational.  

Pulling out my comfy chair :)

Cheers

Martin

Hey Martin!  Long time no see!  Glad to see ya and I appreciate the comments!  The Corsair is an unfamiliar subject to so I am using other "bible builds" to help me along.

As far as the blast tubes are concerned, I will not be modeling them.  I think the shadows will take care of that for me and I'll be careful not to shine a light into those openings.

Thanks Bryan!

Here's version 3.0 of the tire hubs.  Now they are Intermediate Blue stained from the center outwards to mimic staining from the brake dust. The tires were dirtied up a little bit more using a brown pastel wash on a flat finish.  When it dries, it tends to create tide marks, which I thought kind of mimics the wear that I see in archive photos.  I'll probably reduce the light-colored wash around the Goodyear logos.
IMG-5245.jpg
IMG-5246.jpg
IMG-5247.jpg
IMG-5248.jpg