1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

I know I don't know copyright law...  but it seems silly to me that a company could be sued for making models of somebody's gear.  I mean...  they're obviously not Goodyear tires.  Just like your plastic P&W engine isn't a real P&W engine.   But in this crazy world...  you can be sued for anything!

Those coolers look so much better than what was available in the past! 

Nice work!

Gaz

Guest Vincent
1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

I know I don't know copyright law...  but it seems silly to me that a company could be sued for making models of somebody's gear.  I mean...  they're obviously not Goodyear tires.  Just like your plastic P&W engine isn't a real P&W engine.   But in this crazy world...  you can be sued for anything!

Nice work!

Gaz

Unfortunatly lawyers from these companies identified a source of income in models. Basically in the name of protecting their holy brand, they consider that if you use the logo Good year on resin tires, you need to pay them a fee or stop doing so

Guest Vincent
2 hours ago, Thunnus said:

I've started work on the complicated inner wing assembly.  The oil coolers are first. These come with nice photoetched grills, front and back.

'

Hi

Are these the kit's PE ? Radu has made fantastic replacements for the oil cooler. I'll be using them on my Corsair when the time comes to build it

Vincent

11 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Nice work!

Gaz

Yes, the oil coolers as well as the entire model are a testament to the improvements in today's models. 

10 hours ago, Vincent/MDC said:

'

Hi

Are these the kit's PE ? Radu has made fantastic replacements for the oil cooler. I'll be using them on my Corsair when the time comes to build it

Vincent

The oil cooler grills are from the Tamiya kit.  I think the R&B grills are a finer pitch than the kit's but I'm more than satisfied with what the kit provides.

Thanks guys!  Have not settled on the color of the wheel hubs just yet so a re-paint might be around the corner.  Photos of 740 aren't very clear but the hubs look dark or dirty.  I'm contemplating either dark blue or a metallic color.

In the meantime, some progress to report.  The main landing gear struts are comprised of halves that trap a metal rod in between to give the legs strength.  A nice touch but since the rod doesn't travel the entire length of the strut, I sense a potential for breakage.  Gotta be careful with these!
IMG-5175.jpg

Once the legs are glued together and cleaned up, the shiny parts are given a coat of Alclad Chrome over gloss black.
IMG-5192.jpg

The cover over the oil coolers really limits the view.  The trailing edge of the cover is thinned down.
IMG-5184.jpg
IMG-5185.jpg

Just another example of how good Tamiya's engineering/fit is on this kit. Tamiya gives you the option of posing the flaps up or down and you have use different parts depending on which option you pick.  I've chosen to put the flaps up since most of the photos I've seen of parked Corsairs have the flaps up.  These pieces on the trailing edges of the wing are for the flaps up option.
IMG-5186.jpg

When the parts are glued into place, it's almost impossible to tell that there are separate pieces involved... very remarkable.
IMG-5187.jpg

I've cobbled together the inner wing pieces to get a feel for what the wheel bays look like.  I'm going to add a little bit of wiring to replicate some of the hydraulic lines so I need to know where the wires are going to go and where they're going to terminate.
IMG-5189.jpg
IMG-5190.jpg

Just for fun, I've slid the outer wings onto the spars sticking out from the inner wing.  Fit is very good and I may even elect to keep the wings removable since it will make transport that much easier.
IMG-5191.jpg

Thanks guys!

The Montex mask set did not supply decals for the #740 on the landing gear covers.  Surprising omission since they are well within the scope of a mask, size-wise.  So I made some paint masks for it using the Silhouette Portrait cutter.
IMG-5196.jpg

I've painted the armored glass using the masks provided by Montex.
IMG-5197.jpg
IMG-5198.jpg

The tail wheel gear has been painted and assembled.  Some additional weathering will be applied to struts and doors.
IMG-5199.jpg
IMG-5202.jpg

Edited by Thunnus