1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

Alfonso... thanks for additional clarification regarding the variations between the two turtle decks.  To look at it another way:  the kit will most likely be displayed with the canopy closed.  However, if someone wants to take a closer look into the cockpit, the canopy can be pulled off or placed temporarily in the open position.

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Alfonso... thanks for additional clarification regarding the variations between the two turtle decks.  To look at it another way:  the kit will most likely be displayed with the canopy closed.  However, if someone wants to take a closer look into the cockpit, the canopy can be pulled off or placed temporarily in the open position.

Totally Gotcha!  I understand your reason for doing what you've done and I get it!

Didn't mean anything in a negative way by what I wrote either. I just answered your question on the visual differences is all, lol

The written word is not my friend! Lol

Alfonso

On 4/9/2019 at 10:08 PM, LSP_Ray said:

Absolutely beautiful work, Thunnus! 

Thanks Ray!  Please call me John!

Trying to get back on track after a busy week.  I'm trying to figure out the engine cowling area.  Right now I've just dry-fit the cowling around the engine after gluing the Vector resin cowling flaps to the back of the engine.  Because of flex of the resin, it's difficult to get a tight joint.  Although Tamiya intended to have the engine cowling removable, I may have to glue them in to order to avoid the gaps.
IMG-5153.jpg
IMG-5154.jpg

Here's the view of the engine from the outside.  Do you notice the now-corrected Pratt & Whitney logo that I had erroneously installed upside down?  It's been corrected due to the generosity of another LSP modeler who graciously sent me some replacement decals.  Thank you Damian!
IMG-5156.jpg

During the week, when I had some periods of available time, I painted the True Details resin parachute.  
IMG-5150.jpg
IMG-5151.jpg

Awesome job on the Vector cowl flaps.   Definitely take your time on fitting the access panels, I ended up with a larger than desired gap.   I wonder if I messed up the installation, I glued the cowl flaps to the fuselage first and then the engine afterwards?   That may have contributed to the problem.   

Regardless, keep up the good work, this is truly a fantastic build!

Thanks guys!

On 4/14/2019 at 6:44 AM, John1 said:

Awesome job on the Vector cowl flaps.   Definitely take your time on fitting the access panels, I ended up with a larger than desired gap.   I wonder if I messed up the installation, I glued the cowl flaps to the fuselage first and then the engine afterwards?   That may have contributed to the problem.   

Regardless, keep up the good work, this is truly a fantastic build!

Thanks for the tips!  I've tried to really examine the cowling area to see how I could minimize gaps AND have the engine panels removable but I don't think it will be possible due to the lack of rigidity of the resin cowl flap piece.  The most positive attachment point for the cowl flaps are the four small tabs on the rear of engine so I secured that connection first.  I then glued the bottom engine cover into place making sure that that the cover is snug against the cowling flaps.  And finally, I glued the nose ring into place.  The top engine cover isn't a snug fit at this point but I'll wait until later to see if I need to glue it into place or I can have it as a removable panel.

IMG-5157.jpg

I've started painting the Barracuda resin wheels.

IMG-5158.jpg

20 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Those tires look great, John.   I'm a it confused:   Good Yearn?

Gaz

I dunno... I was thinking Goodyear N.  Maybe it's modern day copyright issues?  Maybe I'll just paint over the "N".  Or paint over the letters all together.

I've scraped off the offending "N" from the tires.
IMG-5166.jpg

And then shot the sidewalls with another coat of brown/black, covering the white lettering.
IMG-5167.jpg

The spoked wheels haven't been glued on yet... who knows if there is another round of unexpected changes to come.
IMG-5168.jpg

I've started work on the complicated inner wing assembly.  The oil coolers are first. These come with nice photoetched grills, front and back.
IMG-5169.jpg
IMG-5170.jpg

It's hard to figure out what will and what won't be seen.
IMG-5174.jpg
IMG-5172.jpg

It looks like the backsides of the coolers will be visible but I think this opening gets covered up at least partially.
IMG-5173.jpg