1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

I've painted some of the cowling parts, including the Vector resin cowling flaps. 
IMG-5113.jpg

This will add some detail although it will be tucked away from most perspectives.
IMG-5120.jpg

The nose cowling has also been painted.  Vector provided detailed ribbing for the inside of the cowling.
IMG-5116.jpg

As I move towards the exterior elements, I've been moving away from my Mr Hobby and Tamiya paints and using the AK Real Colors for the first time.  The cowling interiors were painted the same as the exterior bottom, which is Insignia White.    Results with the AK paint have been good so far and they have not only sprayed well, they've shown no adverse effects with the normal weathering techniques... pastel and enamel washes over an Alclad Aqua Gloss clear coat.

16 minutes ago, Durangokid said:

Wow that it absolutely amazing!  How did you do the tiny clips that go around the wires?  And what color did you paint the wires?  They look totally realistic...

Bryan

Thanks Bryan!  The silver "tabs" around each pair of engine wires were made from small strips of aluminum foil tape.  I based the color of my engine from this photo, which can also be found in Dana Bell's Corsair book.

PW-R-2800.jpg

The dark grey gear reduction housing and distributors along with the light metal color of the wiring harness seemed to correspond to the photos of 17740 so I I used it as my primary color reference.

487352-F4-U1-A17740-VMF21412431.jpg

I changed the color of oil lines on each cylinder from brown to dark grey to match the reference photo.  The wiring color was mixed from two Tamiya shades: Flat Earth and Dark Yellow.

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow man, that engine is excellent. Tamiya did a great job designing the engine, but I can recognize great work when I see it. 

Yes, the Tamiya kit is mind-blowingly good! I can see how modelers can get spoiled by building one of these kits.

2 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

You don't happen to be a neurosurgeon, do you John? :)    Amazing detail work.

Cheers,

D.B.

Nah Damian... just an engineer by trade. But I've always had an artistic side that comes in handy when I'm modeling.

1 hour ago, Thomas Lund said:

Beautiful work for sure !!

It's a great kit, huh ?

Thank you!  Yes, this Corsair is probably the best kit I've ever experienced.  Kinda takes a bit of the adventure out of it, though.

2 minutes ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Fantastic work John!

Got t' say though, this all looks hauntingly familiar........:)

I'm going to have to get back to my Corsair once I get my Tiger 1 finished.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks so much!  This build has drawn inspiration from your build particularly.  I dedicate my throttle assembly to you (and a whole bunch of other stuff), Wolf! 

The fuselage is buttoned up now.  I've added some fuselage pieces that you can't tell were separate parts because Tamiya engineering is simply unparalleled.  They have the audacity to put glue joints right on panel lines, which require absolutely no clean-up.  Like it's not big thang... incredible.  No other model company has the huevos to do this.
IMG-5125.jpg
IMG-5127.jpg
IMG-5129.jpg

I'm not going to tape the gun barrel openings so I wanted to add the barrels, which don't protrude but are visible within the openings.  Or probably they are blast tubes within which the actual gun barrels reside.
IMG-5130.jpg

This is just an unglued mock-up so the barrels are not perfectly centered within the openings yet.
IMG-5132.jpg

GORGEOUSNESS!!!

1 question though, are you going to be closing the canopy hood after all that work in there?

I ask due to the turtledeck rear cockpit plug insert as it is for the closed canopy option.

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57

8 hours ago, misha71 said:

very nice build

engine looks great with all details

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Kaeone57 said:

GORGEOUSNESS!!!

1 question though, are you going to be closing the canopy hood after all that work in there?

I ask due to the turtledeck rear cockpit plug insert as it is for the closed canopy option.

Alfonso

Thanks, Alfonso!  I actually performed some dry-fitting tests eariler to answer this question.  If all goes well, the canopy will remain unattached so that it can be posed open or closed.  The turtle deck option for the closed canopy provided the best option to do this.  I could not get the canopy fully closed with the open canopy turtle deck.

Open canopy using the closed turtle deck.

1-B-Fuselage-Closed-Canopy-Open.jpg

Compare with the open canopy using the open turtle deck... the difference isn't too bad right?

2-B-Fuselage-Open-Canopy-Open.jpg

@Thunnus

I hear what you're saying and understand your taken route in the end. 

The reason the canopy hood won't close with the "open hood" plug vs "closed plug" is due to the non scale thickness of the canopy hood which prevents the "open plug" from accepting it into it's recessed home. Not meant to be a bash at Tamiya at all. The canopy hoods clear perspex, it's framing and armor top plate would have to be paper thin to do what it actually is supposed to do in the recesses on the turtledeck in this scale. 

The only thing to notice in the "closed plug" is the recessed area is over pronounced to allow the canopy hood to close and is not accurate in its shape vs the "open plug" for an open canopy. It also lacks the top of the spine of the turtledeck and its inward taper on the recess and the detail on the frame mounting bracket. This is an area that was always missed on Corsair kits and models forever and a day till this kit. Even Tamiya's 1/48 kit got it wrong! I've always scratched this area as I always felt it as a necessity! Lol

My apologies for the "Corsair" rant! I will just have to cover the area with a finger when I view it! I'm sure you'll understand this as I know your "handles" origins... It's like calling a Snook a Tuna! Lol

Your kit and your decission, GORGEOUS ALL AROUND WORK STILL!

Edited by Kaeone57