1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

6 hours ago, ShotMagnet said:

The cockpit placards make my eyes hurt, but they do look the part.

How did you find working with the HGW belts?

Shot

The assembly of the HGW belts took a few hours but it was easier than some of the Luftwaffe belts that I'v'e worked on.  That was because the loops in the metal buckles were large enough to easily accommodate the double fabric straps.  The loops are super tight on the Luftwaffe belts and it takes a lot of fiddling to work that second strap through the loop!

I've added a few more bits onto the cockpit.  Most notably the throttle linkages which I've used four pieces of brass tubing to portray.
IMG-4959.jpg

Due to the throttle being mounted on the cockpit sidewall, it would be almost impossible to physically tie the linkages to the throttle body so I just want to get them close.  They should terminate somewhere underneath the throttle body.  To check this, I've attached the throttle using a blob of Blue Tack.
IMG-4957.jpg

With the cockpit tub in place, we can see that throttle linkages look ok.
IMG-4958.jpg

I've attached the instrument panel as well as the hydraulic bottles.  I made up an oxygen hose by wrapping a wire around thicker lead wire.  It's hard to get a good photo of the cockpit since there are so many details sticking out in every direction.
IMG-4963.jpg

I'm working on the instrument panel hood, which holds the gun sight and am creeping towards the point where I can close the fuselage halves.

12 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Superb, John! You have an impressively deft touch.

Kev

Thanks Kevin!  Taking my time and keeping the various sub-assemblies separate helps when applying those tiny placard decals!

10 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Beautiful stuff, John! I think the tail wheel section looks fine as is. Maybe a little dry brushing with a lighter color to highlight parts visible when sealed up, just to make it stand out in there, but really not needed if you don't want to.

Yes, maybe just some minor "dirtying" since the view into the tail well is so limited.

8 hours ago, zaxos345 said:

John, what brand is the ZCY??

I am using straight Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green for my ZCY.

Thanks guys!  Interior work is moving along now.  The insides of the fuselage have been painted.
IMG-4992.jpg

The throttle body and some decals have been added to the port side.
IMG-4994.jpg

I added some wiring to the boxes on the starboard wall.
IMG-4995.jpg

The interior of the tail wheel wells have been weathered a little with some chipping and brown streaking.
IMG-4996.jpg

But it all gets covered up when the fuselage halves are put together.
IMG-5005.jpg

Some views of the cockpit placed into each of the fuselage sides.
IMG-4997.jpg
IMG-4998.jpg
IMG-5000.jpg

The view into the cockpit when the fuselage halves are put together.
IMG-5001.jpg
IMG-5002.jpg
IMG-5003.jpg

Thanks guys!  This is mostly just careful painting given the level of detail that Tamiya provides on the interior.

10 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

WOW!  That is one tremendous looking pit.

I assume you don't have the fuse halves glued together permanently yet?   I am only asking as Im assuming it would be a total @#$% to cut those switch levers off on the port side IP with the fuselage closed. :lol:  

What's that Brian?  What levers would I need to be cutting off?  You are correct, the fuselage halves are not glued together yet.  I want to at least thumb through the Dana Bell book, which is enroute, before I close her up.

Leaving the cockpit and fuselage aside for a moment, I moved over to the prop and engine.  The prop is comprised of three parts for the hub and three separate prop blades.  To take advantage of the 2,000 horses provided by the Pratt & Whitney radial engine, it's a big a$$ prop and undoubtedly would be carving a trench in the carrier deck without those gull wings to lift it higher.
IMG-5010.jpg

There is a join on the back of the prop blades that needs to be taken care of.
IMG-5011.jpg

Here is a dry-fit of the major engine components just to get a feel for what I'm working with.
IMG-5008.jpg
IMG-5009.jpg

After I fix the joints on the prop, I will paint it before moving on to the engine.  I still need to figure out the wiring.
IMG-5007.jpg
IMG-5006.jpg

Excellent work.................the Tamiya F4U has to be one of the best kits out there in any scale. 

4 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

To take advantage of the 2,000 horses provided by the Pratt & Whitney radial engine, it's a big a$$ prop and undoubtedly would be carving a trench in the carrier deck without those gull wings to lift it higher.

Either that, or the Corsair would have had to have Fw-190 legs!