1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

17 hours ago, jep1210 said:

This just keeps getting better.

Thank you very much!

I finally moved forward on the central cockpit piece. This contains the two side panels of the cockpit and I've laid down the base painting.  The silver switches are old school enamel so I'm going to let this dry completely overnight, seal it with a gloss coat and then try to apply the Barracuda cockpit stencils.  After that I can start adding the other detail bits that attach to this piece.
IMG-4927.jpg
IMG-4928.jpg

The tail wheel well needs to be finished before the fuselage can be closed up so I'm starting the work here.  Very nice detail out of the box that I will not add to but hopefully I'll be able to highlight the detail with some careful painting and weathering.  There are some ejection pin discs that need to be filled.
IMG-4926.jpg

There's Tamiya Detail and then there is Barracuda Detail.  Hard to believe the impact these tiny decals make on the cockpit side consoles.  They are small and hard to handle and need lots of patience to place but well worth the effort.  I'm about 3/4 of the way done on the decals for this piece alone.

IMG-4930.jpg

Those Barracuda placard decals are crazy right?  So small that some of text is not readable under my magnifiers.  Got through most of the cockpit decals and decided to dry fit some of the cockpit components together.
IMG-4943.jpg
IMG-4944.jpg
IMG-4948.jpg

The tail wheel well components have been painted Zinc Chromate and given a dark brown wash.  A flat coat is still to come and I'm trying to figure out if I need to do any more weathering here as it will be pretty buttoned up when the fuselage halves go together.
IMG-4940.jpg