1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

John, the cone with the relief tube is exactly what you think it is - otherwise known as a relief tube - the pilot would take it out of the clip to use it and return it to the clip when done. Nothing worse thatn flying for hours without having to be able to relieve ones self. 

Cheers and great job so far!

Alan

8 hours ago, Thunnus said:

And here is the control stick painted up.  Not sure what that cone thing is...almost could double for a pee-pee relief container but it is on the wrong side.  I added a wire to the end of it.
IMG-4893.jpg

The central cockpit station between these bulkheads is still to come.

You are correct - That cone-thing is a relief tube.  Believe it's just clipped onto the front of the stick.  Pilot would remove it, "do his business" and then put it back in place.   For maximum realism, I drilled out the top of mine (not that it's even visible).  Great work so far!     

John,

GORGEOUS WORK ALL AROUND!!!

Not 100% on this, but I think, and can't fact check at the moment as all my references, and mental notes, are in storage, but I "think", and not sure ATM, the relief tube itself and funnel are rubber, so interior green "may be" incorrect for this? There is

for certain, a drain underneath the cockpit, near where the "bombsight glass", or covered over panel would be on the underside of the fuselage near this area, great for weathering/staining options if so! Streaks from a "Leak" for a better description if you get it... Hopefully not! Lol

John, Scott, LSP, World,

Still not 100% either on what the top color on the Port replacement wing was/is... Hard to tell on the photos and movie reels I've seen/remember. The photo's of her(17740) taxiing always made me think the sun is causing a glare and she's in a coral dust cloud in the pic... I'm retarded sooooo...yeah... Black and White..Hard to get it right!!! Life "Lessons"! Lol

Still GORGEOUS WORK!

Peace,

Alfonso

The silent truth of the matter is that at altitude and at speed there exists a natural suction effect to the relief tube... that is why it is shaped like a funnel rather than a tube... you wouldn’t want to get anybody stuck in there while using it... but, what I am rather curious about is where exactly did the relief tube vent overboard on the real a/c?

Cheers

Alan

So it IS a relief tube???  And made of rubber?  I'll paint it black then and direct the tubing under the seat.  Thanks so much for the information guys... learn something new every day!  

Busy weekend for me so I didn't get much bench time.  I glued together the standing pilot figure to see how he looks.  The molding is a noticeable notch below resin standards but the pose is pretty good.  I'm going to try and give figure painting another go, just for practice.
IMG-4898.jpg
IMG-4899.jpg
IMG-4900.jpg

My order of AK Real Colors (AIR) came in this week and picked them up at the LHS today.  I got a whole set of Late Luftwaffe colors and also the three colors for the Corsair.  I taped off the engine nacelle mule from my 262 build and shot half of it with the AK colors.  I put a pastel wash just to give it a layer of weathering.
IMG-4902.jpg

Here's the other side that was previously sprayed with the Mr Hobby Aqueous.  The most obvious difference is the Intermediate Blue.  When checking the  bottles, I noticed that the Intermediate Blue that I had used was not H-56 Intermediate Blue but Mr Hobby Acrysion N-56 Intermediate Blue.  I actually have an older bottle of H-56, which looks very similar to the AK but it was hidden in the back of my shelf.  Acrysion N-56 is not a good match for Intermediate Blue in my eyes and I'll be going with the AK set of colors.
IMG-4905.jpg

The three AK colors went on VERY smooth, thinned 3:1 with 91% iso alcohol.  This should simplify painting since I've got the three base colors without having to custom mix.

On 3/16/2019 at 10:05 AM, Kaeone57 said:

John,

GORGEOUS WORK ALL AROUND!!!

Not 100% on this, but I think, and can't fact check at the moment as all my references, and mental notes, are in storage, but I "think", and not sure ATM, the relief tube itself and funnel are rubber, so interior green "may be" incorrect for this? There is

for certain, a drain underneath the cockpit, near where the "bombsight glass", or covered over panel would be on the underside of the fuselage near this area, great for weathering/staining options if so! Streaks from a "Leak" for a better description if you get it... Hopefully not! Lol

Speaking of that panel... is it correct to assume that the glass panel under the cockpit is not clear but painted over on the F4U-1a?

20 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Speaking of that panel... is it correct to assume that the glass panel under the cockpit is not clear but painted over on the F4U-1a?

John, LSP,

All my stuff is in storage at the moment. If you have the Dana Bell book, check the BuAer #'s to see when the glass was removed on the production line as I do not know off the top of my feeble brain. Also some were painted over soooo more guess work. Wish I had a better answer for you but, that's the Best I can do ATM!

3 minutes ago, Eraucubsfan said:

Just out of curiosity, why not use Ultracast's Boyington figure? 

https://www.ultracast.ca/product-p/ult54010.htm

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ult54010.htm

I'm not good at figure painting so I didn't want to spend extra money on resin.  I'll use the kit figure to practice on.  And I actually like this pose better than the one on the Boyington figure.

7 minutes ago, Kaeone57 said:

John, LSP,

All my stuff is in storage at the moment. If you have the Dana Bell book, check the BuAer #'s to see when the glass was removed on the production line as I do not know off the top of my feeble brain. Also some were painted over soooo more guess work. Wish I had a better answer for you but, that's the Best I can do ATM!

I don't have the Dana Book unfortunately.  Maybe somebody else here at LSP has the book and can help me out?  

11 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

I'm not good at figure painting so I didn't want to spend extra money on resin.  I'll use the kit figure to practice on.  And I actually like this pose better than the one on the Boyington figure.

I don't have the Dana Book unfortunately.  Maybe somebody else here at LSP has the book and can help me out?  

Scott has the book and maybe he can chime in? The thing is that BuAer #'s on Corsair production have splits depending on production block. I have only one book that has them (BuAer#s) all and as I said is in storage. It is a Motorbooks International release titled " F4U Corsair" and I can't remember the authors name? I do not recall if Danas' books cover all #'s or is just specific to the change # itself? 

On a side note, the AK colors look "Truer" to me in MHO!

LOVE what you're doing and as I've said before... Extremely Envious that you are doing a Corsair and a -214 bird at that. Sh$$, Modelling at all makes me even more envious as I am trying to do something with plastic on an aircraft in general! Lol

Great Show All Around!

Alfonso