1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

Thanks Scott!  I'll keep tabs on those sites to see if I can incorporate the metal exhausts on this build.

I'm still feeling out this kit and don't really have a clear path forward, especially when it comes to the cockpit.  It's a multi-step process with many, many small parts.  Most of it is contained in the central cockpit assembly but there is also stuff that needs to be hung on the fuselage walls.  It's hard to figure out what to paint, when to paint it and in what order.  I have to account for any added details (which won't be too many) and the Barracuda data stencils.  There are just so many of them and I don't want to put in myself in a position where I can't apply the decals properly.  

I selected the forward cockpit bulkhead to test my cockpit painting procedure.  I'm going to lay down the base color, Interior Green, on bare plastic (no black base), highlight raised structure using a lightened Interior Green and pick out any details with a fine brush.  I'll then give it a dark pastel wash.  Since the bulkhead will be largely hidden and comprised of only two parts with no stenciling data, I thought it was a good place to start.
IMG-4864.jpg
IMG-4865.jpg

I'll have to figure out weathering on the more accessible parts of the cockpit like the seat, foot pedals, etc.

you have great skills bro:)!  I have the birdcage, along with all the AM produced.  The Brassin stuff is amazing (cockpit and engine), I'm adding the Vector cowling parts to it as well.

As far as the cockpit, there are many sub-contactor manufactured parts that are in DDG and not interior green for the -1a.  I'd recommend Radu's screens as well, and add the plumbing to the wheel bays.

Keep up the good work!!!!!

Thank you Alan and Scott!  I'm not going to do too much super-detailing.  Doing the throttle ala Wolf Buddee was a bit of a one-off for me so I will not be pursuing that level of detail in most areas.  For example, I'll probably just go with the kit screens for the oil coolers but will add some wiring to the landing gear bays.  Interesting note about the DDG... gives me an opportunity to introduce some color variation into the cockpit. 

I just spoke with my buddy Alfonso Rodriguez about this.  He know as much about this as anyone about Corsairs with the exception of Dana Bell.  He mentioned 740 had a replacement wing from an older Corsair, possibly a birdcage with the old blue gray/gray scheme.  He said Fundecals has the marking right.  He also mentioned the US national insignias were sating and had more of a sheen than the rest of the aircraft.  If you can get a copy of "Swashbucklers and Black Sheep," I shows how truly filthy these things were in the field, often not replicated in some builds.  Check out some of the armor weathering on www.missing-lynx under "Constructive Comments" to see some weathering techniques that would work great on a Solomon Islands Corsair!

DDG was only made my one company and it's OPP, but a near dead ringer (ironically) is Model Master Japanese Aircraft Carrier  Type 1:)!  740 was an early -1a which likely has the various sub contractor parts in DDG, although I can't say what (seat?).

I'll try and get Alfonso to chime in.

Awesome work again pal!

Incredible work!! I can't wait to see how well this turns out. I'm going to shamelessly follow your work and copy the parts I feel that my meagre skills will allow, on my next build, which is the very same model. I actually have 2 birdcage's in the stash. because the Corsair is my absolute favourite bird!

DDG was only made my one company and it's OPP, but a near dead ringer (ironically) is Model Master Japanese Aircraft Carrier  Type 1:)!

MRP makes DDG, along with Bronze Green and Interior Green. It's real good stuff, you can pour it neat into your paint cup, no need for thinning and sprays like a dream. Their whole range is pretty much the dog's danglies.

22 hours ago, Scott Negron said:

I just spoke with my buddy Alfonso Rodriguez about this.  He know as much about this as anyone about Corsairs with the exception of Dana Bell.  He mentioned 740 had a replacement wing from an older Corsair, possibly a birdcage with the old blue gray/gray scheme.  He said Fundecals has the marking right.  He also mentioned the US national insignias were sating and had more of a sheen than the rest of the aircraft.  If you can get a copy of "Swashbucklers and Black Sheep," I shows how truly filthy these things were in the field, often not replicated in some builds.  Check out some of the armor weathering on www.missing-lynx under "Constructive Comments" to see some weathering techniques that would work great on a Solomon Islands Corsair!

DDG was only made my one company and it's OPP, but a near dead ringer (ironically) is Model Master Japanese Aircraft Carrier  Type 1:)!  740 was an early -1a which likely has the various sub contractor parts in DDG, although I can't say what (seat?).

Awesome work again pal!

Interesting comments about 740's wing.  A replacement wing makes sense given the lack of white bars on the bottom port wing star.  Since many of the birdcage Corsairs were painted in the two-tone scheme, do you think it is possible/probable that the port wing star may have been Non-Specular Blue Grey?  Photos of 740 aren't conclusive but it appears that it might be a possibility.

w2-vmf214-squadron-officers.jpg

F4-U-1-Corsair-White-740-VMF214-Bougainv

14 hours ago, Eenyweeny said:

Incredible work!! I can't wait to see how well this turns out. I'm going to shamelessly follow your work and copy the parts I feel that my meagre skills will allow, on my next build, which is the very same model. I actually have 2 birdcage's in the stash. because the Corsair is my absolute favourite bird!

Feel free to follow and copy!  No shame in using other builders' techniques... great way to learn, IMO!

2 hours ago, jep1210 said:

Dang, those AM parts look awesome. Your throttle quadrant looks outstanding.

Thanks!  The Vector resin IS very nice but the final judgement comes when we mate the resin cowling onto the engine/fuselage.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:18 PM, Scott Negron said:

Awesome work again pal!

Greetings John, LSP and My Brotha Scott,

I'm Alfonso, the confessed Corsair Sicko! Lol

What I mentioned to Scott, and to clarify, is the Port wing is obviously a replacement from an earlier Corsair and most probably a F4U-1 "Birdcage" in the early Blue Gray over Lt. Grey scheme with 6 position cocades. Keep in mind that the underside of the outer Port/Starboard wing panels, past the fold line were also painted in Blue Grey in this scheme. I think it's safe to say the top was sprayed in N.S. Sea Blue and the underside was left as is due to the insignia still being present. 

Gorgeous work so far and I'm envious as I haven't had much modelling time in about 7 years after my divorce. Ups and downs and all that, but still flying! Lol

Great Work!

Peace,

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57

I would say the port wing is probably blue gray (top and bottom, looks lighter in the above pic), but could possibly have a field applied non specular sea blue on top?  Note the older 6 position marking under the wing with added bar.  Aileron looks darker too (replacement in Non Spec Blue on blue gray wing)?

Yes, TQ is amazing:)!

Thank you Scott and Welcome Alfonso!  It's always great to have subject matter experts visit my builds and I appreciate the input, especially since Allied aircraft are not my forte.  I love the mismatches caused by replacement parts and I think a Blue Grey port wing will make a neat visual statement.  My guess is that Sea Blue was not applied on the top of the port wing based on the photos... maybe the rest of the Sea Blue had faded to the extent that it wasn't necessary?

Exterior issues aside, the work on the inner Corsair creeps along.  Here's the seat.  It's made up of four parts including a etched metal part.
IMG-4868.jpg

The rear bulkhead, which will ultimately hold up the seat was my next painting assignment.  Based on Scott's comments, I wanted to account for cockpit components painted in a Dark Green due to more than one contractor supplying the cockpit sub-assemblies.  Since no specifics were given on WHAT might be Dark Green,  I thought about doing the seat but I decided to do the seat mounting frame and panel behind it.
IMG-4883.jpg
IMG-4885.jpg

The seat was chipped using the MIG Scratches Effect fluid and given a dirty wash.  The base metal finish was kept dark to help tone down the shine of the chipping effect.
IMG-4887.jpg
IMG-4888.jpg
IMG-4890.jpg

Also painted at this time was the intermediate bulkhead that houses the foot pedal controls.  Chipping was done on the pedals and also the plate beneath the pedals.  The components have not been glued together yet and I was only able to get a single shot before the assembly kept coming apart in my light box.  I've given the instrument panel some light chipping along the edges to better match the worn surroundings.
IMG-4892.jpg

And here is the control stick painted up.  Not sure what that cone thing is...almost could double for a pee-pee relief container but it is on the wrong side.  I added a wire to the end of it.
IMG-4893.jpg

The central cockpit station between these bulkheads is still to come.

Edited by Thunnus