1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

Hi John

In Germany we had watched this series too about Pappi Boyington, i have loved this series so much, i think it was end of 70th start of 80th in german TV. Thats why i will follow your build thread, coz i know your build become a superb work. Good luck during the process.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:45 PM, Gazzas said:

Wow. John!  Your talents transfer well to non Luftwaffe aircraft well.

Gaz

Hey Gazza!  Thank you, my friend!  It's all the same plastic right? Some things are going to much simpler.  No mottling, for example.  However, the weathering and fading on these Marine aircraft is going to be a challenge to replicate.  I have the base colors in both Mr Hobby Aqueous and AK Real Colors and they are way too vibrant and dark.  So I have to put on my thinking cap and ponder how to approach the painting.  Thankfully, I have lots of time before I get to that stage!

23 hours ago, F-4Phanwell said:

Hi John

In Germany we had watched this series too about Pappi Boyington, i have loved this series so much, i think it was end of 70th start of 80th in german TV. Thats why i will follow your build thread, coz i know your build become a superb work. Good luck during the process.

Any show about WW2 caught my interest when I was growing up.  Was the documentary series, The World At War, ever broadcast in Germany?  I remember being engrossed in that whenever it aired.

250px-Worldatwar.jpg

18 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Great work with the ‘chute John.

Guy

Thanks Guy!  I'm jumping around a bit on this build.  I'll be leaving for a short trip to Hawaii in a couple days so I'm not ready to jump in full bore yet.  So just checking things out... working on small details.

I took a look at the Vector resin cowl flaps.  I figured that I could at least get the casting block off.  Fairly easy to do since the connection between the block and the flaps is very thin. It only required a light sawing around the circumference to free the flaps.  

IMG-4774.jpg

But the flaps are pretty delicate and have a very thin ring along the top edge.  This connection broke during sawing and had to be re-attached using CA glue.  Also, one of the corners of the flaps was busted off.  It appears that this was already broken before I worked on it.  I used a piece of thinned sheet styrene to patch the corner.  In the photos, I can see a small hole/crack in one of the flaps that I didn't notice before.  Should be an easy patch.
IMG-4780.jpg
IMG-4781.jpg

I've been reviewing other Corsair builds online.  There is some wonderful work on Corsairs and I found one here at LSP by Wolf Buddee that gave me a little mini-project to do... the throttle quadrant.
IMG-4775.jpg

I basically copied what Wolf described in words and photos.  I modified the quadrant by chopping off the levers, adding slots to the top of the quadrant using a razor saw and then adding new levers made from small bits of photoetch brass.  The knobs are blobs of white glue but they seemed to have dried looking like raisins and not round balls.  I may have to re-do them.  I hope Wolf doesn't mind me copying his work.  I'm not able to do everything that he has done in his amazing build but following his work did give me inspiration to try some of his techniques.  Thank you Wolf!
IMG-4801.jpg
IMG-4802.jpg

I probably won't do anything significant until I return from Hawaii next week.  So until then...

That’s great work John.. I love that kind of detailing. I’m hoping to get a Corsair at some point so it’s great to have a ‘how to’ log to follow. 

There is a huge amount of aftermarket for this kit from replacement cockpits to engines to cowl flaps to goodness knows what else..  how does the kit really shape up out of the box? 

Guy

13 hours ago, Gisbod said:

That’s great work John.. I love that kind of detailing. I’m hoping to get a Corsair at some point so it’s great to have a ‘how to’ log to follow. 

There is a huge amount of aftermarket for this kit from replacement cockpits to engines to cowl flaps to goodness knows what else..  how does the kit really shape up out of the box? 

Guy

Hi Guy... I'm probably not the best person to ask since I am not familiar enough with the F4U to know how the kit compares to the aftermarket products.  Based on other builds and what I have seen of the aftermarket products, I don't think any of it is necessary to correct major inaccuracies or omissions, with the possible exception of the missing detail on the inside of the engine cowl flaps.  But even that can be scratched fairly easily.  The available aftermarket can be viewed as a next step up if the modeler wants to increase the level of detail on his/her build.  I happen to think that the cockpit and engine detail is VERY good myself and that is why I didn't opt to replace with aftermarket.  I'll add what I can to these sub-assemblies as I learn about the aircraft.  That's part of the fun process for me.

Here is a short update with the painted throttle assembly.  The decals are from Barracuda's cockpit stencil sheet... very impressed with how legit it makes the assembly look.  The white glue knobs look more like blobs but I may or may not do anything about them at this point.

IMG-4808.jpg
IMG-4804.jpg
IMG-4806.jpg

I added the stitched beading around the padded headrest using stretched sprue.
IMG-4812.jpg
IMG-4813.jpg

Thinking ahead to the engine, I use a piece of coiled wire to cut me those curved oil lines that go on each cylinder head.
IMG-4810.jpg

I'm taking a few days holiday with a trip to Hawaii.  So no updates from me until next week! See you then!

I just got back from a short vacation to Hawaii!  Got back on Saturday and managed to do a little work on the Corsair on Sunday.  Decided to work on the Vector resin cowling parts.  The resin comes with small bulkheads for the nose cowling.  So you have to remove the molded bulkheads first.
IMG-4851.jpg

The major surgery was performed using my Tamiya snips like a pair of scissors.
IMG-4852.jpg
IMG-4853.jpg

I then used a dremel to grind down the raised plastic.
IMG-4854.jpg

The interior of the cowling was then sanded down with sandpaper and sanding sponges.
IMG-4855.jpg

The resin bulkhead pieces were sawed off their casting bases.
IMG-4856.jpg

I used CA glue for attachment. I'm not sure if this will be visible or noticeable once the engine inside the cowling but the additional detail is nice.
IMG-4857.jpg
IMG-4858.jpg

I moved on to the resin cowl flaps and decided to glue in the little actuator parts.
IMG-4846.jpg

Stretched sprue was used for the cable that is strung along the actuators.  I think this detail will be very noticeable and is a nice addition compared to the plain flaps that come with the kit.
IMG-4860.jpg

That's all for now! Thanks for checking in!

I would say, hold off on the exhausts, I've been in contact with Rexx regarding some new product releases, and they said they are currently working on hollow metal exhausts for the Corsair, 2 versions, one just the visible stubs, the other a complete set:)!  Should be out soon, they are very nice, and responsive, so you may want to email them regarding release date.

Awesome build bro!

21 hours ago, Scott Negron said:

I would say, hold off on the exhausts, I've been in contact with Rexx regarding some new product releases, and they said they are currently working on hollow metal exhausts for the Corsair, 2 versions, one just the visible stubs, the other a complete set:)!  Should be out soon, they are very nice, and responsive, so you may want to email them regarding release date.

Awesome build bro!

Thanks for the information, Scott!  I'd definitely be interested in what Rexx cooks up for the Corsair as my manual hollowing attempts could be improved upon.  I found their Facebook page but it is in Russian.  Where is the best place to get a hold of them and to (eventually) purchase their products?  Directly?