Advice on Bare Metal Foil

themongoose

Hi gang, I need some help on what approach to take with the BMF here. In the picture below the BMF needs to wrap around the tail, from the scribe line back to where the exhaust nozzles mount. The little triangular insert under the tail has to be on top of the BMF when I’m done. Options I’m thinking of would be....

Should I apply the foil, leave an unpainted strip for the triangle insert, then paint, then glue in the insert, or

tape over the tail and the area for the triangle under the tail, then paint the plane, then foil and add the insert, or

something different based on your experience?

IMG_5195-XL.jpg

I've had some experience with BMF. I dont particularly like it. The real issue is the adhesive.

It's not terribly potent, and has the annoying habit of coming off or not sticking at all when cut into very small pieces.

I realize its probably not in your plans, but IMHO kitchen foil and foil glue is a much better solution

But I digress.....

As to your question. BMF needs a fairly substantial footprint piece by piece to maintain its position (meaning you are better off cutting it in slightly larger sections so the adhesive has a chance to take hold). 

BMF does not do well if masked over; think of BMF as you would any type of "tape" but with a stronger (stronger than general tape anyway) adhesive. Sort of like decals, never ever mask over it. 

It's also a bit fragile when it come to burnishing, so gentle is the name of the game; I'd recommend a piece of balsa wood suitably shaped to your liking. 

It will keep the snagging to a minimum when burnishing, because if you have a severe wrinkle, and your burnishing tool catches it BMF will rip.

The other disadvantage of  BMF vs foil is that BMF really requires a good run laying it down the first time.

What I mean by that is BMF is quite thin, and unlike kitchen foil, if you lay down a big wrinkle on accident (and if you continue to foil it WILL happen!) there is no way to sand it out like there is with kitchen foil; it's just too thin.

I always recommend doing any and all painting prior to any BMF application if it can be at all helped. To me, it's just easier, and you don't end up taking a chance on any masking pulling the BMF up.

I cant say with 100% certainty without looking at things more, but I would say if you leave an unpainted strip for the triangle piece, and it's not exactly the right size you may end up with gaps around the triangle piece or a sliver being under it.

I'd recommend gluing all parts down first, the masking off any areas destined for BMF, and then shooting color, and then come back and foil the areas you previously masked.

I'm not saying any of this to dissuade you from trying BMF, I'm just being up front about its properties. 

Either way, foiling can be VERY rewarding!

Have a go and let us know! 

Pitter Patter, lets get at er! 

HTH